Author Topic: Any of you guys speak foreign languages?  (Read 13091 times)

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Britpole
  • Fursona Species: Red English Squirrel/also a Magpie
Any of you guys speak foreign languages?
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
I was wondering if Furrydom was multilingual, since I'm learning Spanish wiv Klein, and was wondering if there were other Spanish-speaking furs who I could practise with? Y'know just to chat with and stuff, cuz it'd be fun and learn a whole new set of FURCABULARY that might exist in Spanish!

Other language speakers are cool to pipe up in here too, as I'm attempting to make a run-in into Czech since I'm travelling there in May and I wanna have a general basic knowledge of how to say things. I've tried to learn it myself once on my own but.....that didn't work out too well XD

So! If you know Spanish or Czech, d'ya want to chat/have tips for me?
And if you know any other languages, name 'em and let's discuss!
LET'S GET MULTIFARIOUS UP IN HEREEE :3

Offline Jason

• gay all the way (or in my case just bi)
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • hmmmm....to be a furry or not to be....hmmmm
    • DeviantArt - Jasonfortheworld
    • FurAffinity - Jasonfortheworld
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox/fox
Re: Any of you guys speak foreign languages?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »
Ya for spanish! but I'm learning latin.....dang....
Remember that time with that thing when it ran to that place that was in that city and then exploded.  There was also that time when the other guy with that birth mark who killed that one but the other day when that thing happened to that person.

do you remember?
if you do kudos

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Britpole
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »
You speak it, Jason? Or is that a yay I can't tell XDD
Ooooh latin~ Had to sing tons of latin while I was in choir, though I understand about three words of it XDD
Prize for you for learning such a difficult-appearing language!

Offline Jason

• gay all the way (or in my case just bi)
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • hmmmm....to be a furry or not to be....hmmmm
    • DeviantArt - Jasonfortheworld
    • FurAffinity - Jasonfortheworld
  • Fursona Species: Arctic fox/fox
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
You speak it, Jason? Or is that a yay I can't tell XDD
Ooooh latin~ Had to sing tons of latin while I was in choir, though I understand about three words of it XDD
Prize for you for learning such a difficult-appearing language!

i know little bits from back in grade school....some colors and animals...one phrase...

also thank for the congratulations.  This language has to be the hardest next to speaking Chinese.....There are a like a billion endings to memorize and then these exceptions to those.....
Remember that time with that thing when it ran to that place that was in that city and then exploded.  There was also that time when the other guy with that birth mark who killed that one but the other day when that thing happened to that person.

do you remember?
if you do kudos

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »
I know enough to hold an extremely basic conversation in French, but I get nervous and end up forgetting it all. :/
We're working on it, though.
Meh.

Offline Azeliah

• Local Disaster
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Wanna play?
    • FurAffinity - liwyatan
    • Twitter - AzeliahS
  • Fursona Species: Liat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:37:30 pm »
I'm speaking Danish as it is my mother tongue. :3 Other than that I speak German, I can understand Norwegian, Swedish and part Dutch and I'm just awesome. :3

Offline Ruslan

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 36
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »
At home I speak a bastardized mix of Russian, Spanish, German, Hawaiian and English, its an ongoing joke for the last three years that allows for some basic grasp of a lot of common phrases.  Usually I just speak English or Spanish though.

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Britpole
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »
I know enough to hold an extremely basic conversation in French, but I get nervous and end up forgetting it all. :/
We're working on it, though.

Heheh, I know quite a lot of spanish, but everytime I'm called upon to speak it I freak out and make tons of mistakes :c though I'm quite good at writing it though!
I'm speaking Danish as it is my mother tongue. :3 Other than that I speak German, I can understand Norwegian, Swedish and part Dutch and I'm just awesome. :3

You are awesome! Those are languages that escape my abilities forever. The scandinavian languages are kinda like Estonian no? Cuz Estonian is a mystery to me *_*
At home I speak a bastardized mix of Russian, Spanish, German, Hawaiian and English, its an ongoing joke for the last three years that allows for some basic grasp of a lot of common phrases.  Usually I just speak English or Spanish though.
Wow~! I also attempted to learn Russian on my own too~ I was quite good but I had to give it over for Spanish class, so I've forgotten a lot :c
That must be a heady mix o' words~~ Reminds me of my mum, who'll mix in German and Polish in with English so I have to try and understand that mess XD
High-five for Spanish-speakin'!

i know little bits from back in grade school....some colors and animals...one phrase...

also thank for the congratulations.  This language has to be the hardest next to speaking Chinese.....There are a like a billion endings to memorize and then these exceptions to those.....
I bet :I That's one of the reasons why Czech intimidated me so much-SO MANY ENDINGS FOR EVERY LITTLE THING. My mind nearly hemorrhaged XD That, and trying to pronounce this little, evil letterr.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:29 pm »
I took Spanish in high school, but it didn't really stick, probably because I really didn't want to learn it.  I had to take 3 years of a foreign language to graduate, and since I went to school in Redneckland, my only options were Spanish, French, and Latin.  Given a proper set of options, I would've taken something more interesting, like German.

At the moment, I'd really like to learn Russian, but I'm kinda stalled at the moment.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Britpole
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »
I took Spanish in high school, but it didn't really stick, probably because I really didn't want to learn it.  I had to take 3 years of a foreign language to graduate, and since I went to school in Redneckland, my only options were Spanish, French, and Latin.  Given a proper set of options, I would've taken something more interesting, like German.

At the moment, I'd really like to learn Russian, but I'm kinda stalled at the moment.

I fell into Spanish the same way XD. It was the only language option until this year, when my school got Chinese. Though since I'm graduating, I can't take it :/
Even though, I've grown to like it, oddly enough. I think it's because I have a very good teacher, who is so nice and teaches us funny expressions on the side, like "Vamos a rajar de alguien" means "We're gonna talk bad about someone!" which makes me lol a bit XD

Russian is so cool *^*! At least I remember the alphabet and some words, but I've forgotten a lot of the grammar I've learned D: I'm hoping to pick it back up when I go to university, since one of my majors is Slavic Studies

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:42:23 pm »
No Spanish, sorry. It's one of those lightning-speed languages I have no luck with. German, though. I know a bit of German, I could help with that, if ya want. xD
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Steelyphil

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 33
  • What is this mess?
    • FurAffinity - steelyphil
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Fuchsia Devil or Exciting Gryphon
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »
German bros UNITE!!

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Britpole
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »
No Spanish, sorry. It's one of those lightning-speed languages I have no luck with. German, though. I know a bit of German, I could help with that, if ya want. xD

It's okay, mate~ :3 German would be cool to learn, tho! Though I'm a person who wants to learn all languages XD Even HUNGARIAN.  AND THAT ONE IS SO WEIRDDDD
Ex. Thank you is K

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 303
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:45 pm »
Well, I am learning German in secondary school. I'm pretty terrible at the subject and I also think i'm perfecty fine speaking English, as of now. To be honest, i've never seen the point in having thousands of Human languages. Nobody is going to possibly learn enough to be able to communicate with every single human being on the planet. So I think it makes sense to teach every human on the planet a single language. I know the amount of culture certain people will lose will be enormous. But I think the amount of confusion my decision will prevent willl ultimately make it worth it. I have three plans for achieving this goal...

Plan A: Create a democratic poll which lets everyone choose the language they think should be the legitimate language of Humanity.

Plan B: Declare war! Every person will have the opportunity to fight for their favourite spoken language across a world-wide military campaign. The campaign will be called 'World-War III'. The succeeding side will be able to force everyone to speak their language. Even if we have to resort to Nuclear bombing, which would destroy most of humanity in a Nuclear holocaust. The survivors of any side should continue fighting as long as their are sides to fight. Once the suvivors of any particular side are victorious, they will repopulate humanity and teach it the language they fought for.

Plan C: Create a new language called 'Basic' and let everyone keep their regular languages, but make sure that this new language is taught as well.

I think Plan C would be the best way of accomplishing this. If you couldn't tell, I was kidding about 'Plan B'. But I honestly hope that humanity will one day have a legitimate language to avoid confusion.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Yona

• Green Level
  • Candies: 42
    • DeviantArt - Aw3someJon
    • FurAffinity - Yonaradros
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:22:36 pm »
I cannot learn foreign languages, my brain cannot simply pick up on it haha. But I've always felt very bad and guilty over it, so that spawned my love for English grammar and vocabulary, which then turned into my writing hobby!

Offline Dasha

• Derpass
  • Orange Level
  • Britpole
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 07:24:31 pm »
Well, I am learning German in secondary school. I'm pretty terrible at the subject and I also think i'm perfecty fine speaking English, as of now. To be honest, i've never seen the point in having thousands of Human languages. Nobody is going to possibly learn enough to be able to communicate with every single human being on the planet. So I think it makes sense to teach every human on the planet a single language. I know the amount of culture certain people will lose will be enormous. But I think the amount of confusion my decision will prevent willl ultimately make it worth it. I have three plans for achieving this goal...

Plan A: Create a democratic poll which lets everyone choose the language they think should be the legitimate language of Humanity.

Plan B: Declare war! Every person will have the opportunity to fight for their favourite spoken language across a world-wide military campaign. The campaign will be called 'World-War III'. The succeeding side will be able to force everyone to speak their language. Even if we have to resort to Nuclear bombing, which would destroy most of humanity in a Nuclear holocaust. The survivors of any side should continue fighting as long as their are sides to fight. Once the suvivors of any particular side are victorious, they will repopulate humanity and teach it the language they fought for.

Plan C: Create a new language called 'Basic' and let everyone keep their regular languages, but make sure that this new language is taught as well.

I think Plan C would be the best way of accomplishing this. If you couldn't tell, I was kidding about 'Plan B'. But I honestly hope that humanity will one day have a legitimate language to avoid confusion.

My dad has made this argument to me tons of times, because he is a complete anglophile and loves English forever. But what can you expect from an Englishman, I guess?
Truthfully I don't like such an idea, but I shouldn't worry because every attempt at making up a language or trying to standardize an existing one has failed. Oh poor Esperanto. You are so useless XD
Languages are more than just what people speak or a badge of nationality, they're also the bringer of ideas. How one thinks in one language changes with the next. My thoughts in English are way more florid and verbose than my thoughts in Spanish, which are more summarized and (weirdly) emotional. Each language gets this character by the words it does and doesn't keep, and how it is maintained. Because English isn't constrained by a lot of purist rules (like French oh god), new words are made all the time and it expands easily. Spanish sorta does....and French is ruled by iron-clad rules of grammar and such which make it less flexible.
ANYWAY, because each language carries its own connotations, allusions, phrases, etc. and each affects thinking and the creation of ideas, to destroy or lose a language is to lose a whole style of thought, which is sad, really. And the more styles of thought that disappear, the smaller humanity's collective knowledge becomes. I find that would be a disservice to humanity as a whole.

.......whoa that was a lot more cerebral than I intended....Yay for Plan B? XD

Offline Yona

• Green Level
  • Candies: 42
    • DeviantArt - Aw3someJon
    • FurAffinity - Yonaradros
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:28:45 pm »
I cannot learn foreign languages, my brain cannot simply pick up on it haha. But I've always felt very bad and guilty over it, so that spawned my love for English grammar and vocabulary, which then turned into my writing hobby! I failed out of French and Latin, and am currently taking Spanish, which, surprisingly I'm not that bad at! It has always been a dream of mine to learn Japanese though. I love the language and the culture, it'd be such an aw3some experiance learning it! I also considered Greek, but I thought "Nah".

And I agree with Mersey's dad; Anglophone pride! lol
I sometimes find myself being a complete grammar nazi in my head, and I almost blurt it out sometimes. Then I get all awkward.

Offline Arran

• Siberski
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • Absolutely satisfactory!
    • DeviantArt - Arranyan
    • FurAffinity - Aranyan
  • Fursona Species: Canis lupus familiaris (Siberian Husky)
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »
I speak fluent English!

I'm also learning French right now, but only because I have to to graduate. I would much rather learn German, but that class was cut the year before my Freshman year. I am seriously thinking about learning German tough, Probably by using a computer program or something similar.

Offline D

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 28
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:00 pm »
-Trimmed with a lawnmower
At least with plan B, Gage, people will be so overzealous with grammar that people who even THINK about dropping the I and E from like, or people who use text speak... Will be shot on sight.

Unless the prevailing language was tweenager...

Offline Taily

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 93
    • FurAffinity - Taily
    • Awkward Paws
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
I speak some Spanish!
Been taking classes since 1st grade. O: It's a lovely language!

And I know how to insult people in German. But that's it.

Also, I am exactly the opposite of Mersey's dad - I want all obscure non-English languages to rise up and be spoken! Revive the dying words! YEEEAH