Offline Yona

• Green Level
  • Candies: 42
    • DeviantArt - Aw3someJon
    • FurAffinity - Yonaradros
  • Fursona Species: Cat
(
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:46 am »
So, I wasn't sure where to put this, but I did figure I'd post my DA gallery as sorta...idk, help you help me? yeah...So is in the art section. Whoopdie doo.

Main point: Anyone who really knows me knows that I'm a rather sensitive, low self-esteem kinda guy. For any of you who have actually looked at my writing stuff whateverz, you'll know I've recently taken up writing because somewhere in my head there is a little, angry, and red-nosed (though not jolly!) man who is screaming in my head that I could have potential at it. However, the rest of my head screams at him NO I CANTZ U FOO.
        But...My mother has talent in writing, and said I did as well, and I dunno if it's that lovey-dovey crap your parents give you to make you feel good or whatever, but I figured I'd believe her. However, I've noticed that I'm rather austere and brittle on the subject of improvement, mainly because I'm confused on how. Like a baby who doesn't know how to tell you it's hungry, my mind is screaming at itself because it doesn't know how to tell itself to improve.
        So for you guys, preferably writers, but really any one of y'all, how do I improve? The hell do I do? I'm hellbent I suck, but I'm not...So yeah...?

(DA, has most of my stuff) http://aw3somejon.deviantart.com/ (OH, and sorry for any harsh overtone. I feel "House-ish" today, if you know what I mean.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:53:16 am by Close W. Call »

Offline Nightmare the Stallion

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • FurAffinity - nightmarethestallion
  • Fursona Species: Black Stallion
Re: (
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:46 am »
I will only critique your writing if you critique mine   :fox-:P:
Just a heads-up, I am an aspiring editor and a super-grammar-nazi. If my feedback seems unfair and relentless, it's because I love you  :lol-fox:

Offline Tempo

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - Sytren
    • FurAffinity - UrsydeCaffe
  • Fursona Species: Kamchatka Bear
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:27:47 pm »
Well, you can improve by writting small stories, poems or even descriptions of characters and places. Reading really detailed books and fictions to help you. And hearing inspiring music.

You can try to ask one of your friends to read one of your stories and tell you what to improve, it dosen't have to be a full length story, it could just be a half-done work.

"If you're afraid to fall you fall because you're afraid, everything is choice" - Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Shade DaWolf

• Personality Cocktail
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 37
    • FurAffinity - Shade DaWolf
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »
Just plain simple writing helps. Sometimes I like to sit at my window and describe the things I see, and when I say describe, I mean "Vapourize it with description!" This morning, I  described just the sky with 20 different verbs! OsaShay says inspiring  music, and I can't agree any more.

Also try reading a book, and then make a sort of continuation/prequel/etc out of it. Get to know the author's style of writing, and try to continue writing using that style. Don't forget to read different material from diferent authors to get a real sense of what sort of writing style fits you.

Something I just thought of that I actually wanted to try out: Do collaborative writing. While you write with your partner, you can learn from each other, get tips, learn new things. I believe its a great way to improve, gain experience, and just learn about soooo much! If your interested, I can do some collaborative writing with you.

Most  of these tips I give for writing are my personal experiences and all, and It actually helped me go from a low 56% in grade 6, to a whooping  10th grade level 98.8%  while I was in 9th grade.

Another thing here, I'm creating a webpage for my blogs, pictures, and such, but I'm also dedicating  a good portion of it to writing in a community based thing. I'm torn between leaving it open for anyone to use, or keeping it a "Members Only" thing (Free Ofcourse). Give me some tips if youguys have some in a PM.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:27 pm »
Well, I do two things that help em a lot is read the dictionary, and read a thesaurus. It sounds boring, but you can learn some pretty fascinating words. And Different adjectives really increase the depth and integrity of a story. I don't write a lot, but when i do, my friends demand i write more.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Nightmare the Stallion

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • FurAffinity - nightmarethestallion
  • Fursona Species: Black Stallion
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:50 pm »
Well, here's what I'll recommend, since I haven't given a tip yet  :fox-;):
Read Stephen King on Writing.
It is the Bible for writers! Reading it cover-to-cover has certainty helped me as a writer in all aspects, from confidence to material.

Offline Yona

• Green Level
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 04:39:56 am »
ok...

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:51:33 am »
Step 1; Cut a Hole in a Box Pick a favourite author(s). Get some of their books, like a whole bunch of them. 5-6 per author. Read them.

Step 2; Read them again. Learn to analyse them, learn what it is these authors do with their words, characters, descriptions, punctuation. Learn it, write down good bits, favourite pages, characters, descriptions of places.

Step 3; Write something of your own. Remember the bits you liked, and combine them. Take a fistful of your favourite bits, and throw them all in the way you think is best. Take inspiration and learn from the writers you aspire to be, learn what makes them good and copy it. Combine it, further it until it's your own.

Step 4; Unleash it. Take a good section of what you write (obviously, planning helps here, and all the little tricks like planning characters, brainstorming places, having a set structure for the storyline, etc etc) and show it to someone close, a friend - possibly a family member - who is keen on writing. Let them read it and give you feedback, and constructive criticism. THIS BIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT - some people (me included, sometimes) get especially attached to a certain scene in a story, or character or way of doing something or descriptive process (my downfall inperticular) and have a difficult time taking any criticism relating to that thing. Get over it, one way or another, learn what people want. After the trusted individual has read your all-too-secret work, like all writing always is, then slap it on a forum, let people read it, and wait for amassed feedback. Stories on forums get only a handful of read-throughs, but it's more feedback than just one guy saying "yeah, s'allright". Take the collective feedback, consider what you're willing/capable of changing, and go for it. Rinse, and repeat.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Yona

• Green Level
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:54 am »
Problem with me is...I've never really liked to read other fiction. Granted, I read a lot, but it ain't fiction. Whenever doing it I try to make mine as original and 'me' as possible, as I don't really aspire to be any other writer or whatever, as opposed to, kinda like an endurance sport, constantly aspiring to be better then me or always test myself and be better in that sense. Is this bad or good? I never really read much other fiction for several reasons, thus a lot of my stuff is all just what I come up with. Is this suggested, or no...?

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:58 am »
Definitely. If you're never happy with your work, it only means you want to do better. That's a good enough way to get good if you ask me. But I'd always suggest picking up a book of some kind that's atleast similar to what you want to write, and getting through atleast some of it. It helps focus and inspire your writing, and give you a good, strong idea of what to do with it.

But ofcourse, if you prefer to not do that, then don't do it. This is only my suggestion, it's no ones rules. =3
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Yona

• Green Level
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:08:32 am »
Definitely. If you're never happy with your work, it only means you want to do better. That's a good enough way to get good if you ask me. But I'd always suggest picking up a book of some kind that's atleast similar to what you want to write, and getting through atleast some of it. It helps focus and inspire your writing, and give you a good, strong idea of what to do with it.

But ofcourse, if you prefer to not do that, then don't do it. This is only my suggestion, it's no ones rules. =3

True that. I've just felt a little unliberal with my library haha, I only really read one author, though I plan to read his entire library one day. Anyhoo, I wll try that "read what ya wanna write" suggestion. But another question is, whenever something is posted, how to I get people to know or care about my work? I've always had trouble finding critique as it's so sparse sometimes. I've tried other actual  teen writing communities, but it's so difficult. Yes, I am taking the one option I see: Continue posting stuff. But sometimes It just gets...not annoying, rather, dissapointing.

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:02 am »
Yeah, I can get that. It's no fun when you post your favourite latest creative creation on somewhere, afraid of what people might think, and it turns out they think nothing.

Other than posting it on forums, try sending it to some mates via skype or MSN, or whatever you crazy kids are on these days. Find a group of friends who enjoy writing, fellow furs perhaps, and send them a few samples. It might take them a few days to find the gusto to read something written by an amateur (lets face it, with the same 'hey I did this, have a read plx!' thrown on you, you'd rather finish posting on facebook, play a few games then kick back to music before taking up the story) - but when they do, and eventually they will, they'll offer you the best advice you can get short of a professional publisher. And they're nice about it too.

Ultimately, it comes down to finding a way to get the writing done that you want, getting your writing skill to a level you can feel proud of, and then finding the target audience and getting them to feed back about it. It's also unusual to do, offering feedback on a story; most people that read pick up a book, read through, then put it down again. They never have to think about why it's good, what they liked, what they didn't - and it can make it daunting to do. So a fistful of patience will take you a long way when it comes to waiting on feedback and criticism on your writing.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:

Offline Yona

• Green Level
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:40 am »

Ultimately, it comes down to finding a way to get the writing done that you want, getting your writing skill to a level you can feel proud of, and then finding the target audience and getting them to feed back about it. It's also unusual to do, offering feedback on a story; most people that read pick up a book, read through, then put it down again. They never have to think about why it's good, what they liked, what they didn't - and it can make it daunting to do. So a fistful of patience will take you a long way when it comes to waiting on feedback and criticism on your writing.

Thanks again! However, what if I feel that I'm already at the..."getting your writing skill to a level you can feel proud of, and then finding the target audience and getting them to feed back about it." Am I too ahead of myself? I really dunnoez =P