Author Topic: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of The Sky  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of The Sky
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
Note: I have NOT played Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness - to my knowledge, sky is like a 'Director's cut' version, akin to what Pokemon yellow was to red/blue, Crystal to gold/silver, you get the idea...anyway, this review is based on the fact I havn't played these, so it will be reviewed as a fresh game

Ok, starting off, we do a quiz to find out what pokemon you will be turned into - thats right, you play as a human turned pokemon, with me being a Phanpy. Why did this happen? You have to wait until the post-main-plot to find out. You get awakened by the pokemon that will be your exploration partner, for me, I choose a mudkip, and after retrieving it's personal treasure from some thuggish pokemon, you join the Wigglytuff exploration guild, where you go on many adventures...some a lot more horrific than you might imagine, but I'll brush over that later

The main gameplay involves moving around dungeon-like floors, where the goal is to find the staircase in order to advance, with each area having different looks, music, enemy pokemon that all seemingly want you dead, and items. As a pokemon, you get your usual 4 attacks that you learn by levelling up, and futher attacks require you to replace an old attack should you wish. I do find it interesting how some of the attacks translate from the main series. Attacks like tackle just hit one square infront of you, energy ball is like a projectile, that hits the first opponent you see in a straight line, and discharge can hit everything in the entire room. Unfortunatly, the gameplay feels a bit clunky, and is quite luck based. Appear in the same room as the staircase? Practically a get out of jail free card. Some bitch Nidoqueen refusing to stop using earth power at the other corner of the room leaving you and the rest of your team unable to attack it? Touch luck. Also, there are the extremely frustrating monster houses that randomly appear as soon as you step in without warning, and a vast number of enemies appear, which usually spells death unless you have a specific item available, such as a petrify orb. This makes the difficulty very hard to pin down, since it can really be all over the place.

And yet, inspite of the fact that I don't think too much of the gameplay, I still thought this was a very engaging game, for it does everything very well

The graphics are extremely polarised - each small pokemon sprite is well animated, with different attacking, standing and walking animations, and outside of the dungeons are bright colourful, and generally pleasing to look at. The dungeons themselves however look very drab and dull, which is a shame.

But the two things I love about this game most is the music and - wait for it...the story. That's right - the story. In a pokemon game. I kid you not. I was in disbelief to find out this game had an actual plot, let alone a very engaging one. Pokemon always had throwaway excuse plots for you to catch pokemon, beat the gym leaders and the evil criminal team, but this really does pull you in and make you care about the on-screen version of yourself and what happens to you. Essentially, you join the guild in hopes you might find out what exactly happened to you, recover your memories, and find a way home, but then more sinister things start happening, with someone trying to steal the time gears that keep time flowing. And then...it starts getting alarmingly dark. I won't say much about it, but I will say this - attempted execution scentences, perpetually darkened worlds, rife with insanity, of which even the gods themselves have become anamalistic and mad, attempting to melt souls so that the body can be possesed as the ultimate disguise to kill you, and beings getting inside your dreams to try and convince you to kill yourself. And yes, the game is a 3+. How awsome is this?! Oh, and on that note, now I'm not a massive gamer or anything, but it has contained the only ending in a game so far that got me close to crying. I found it that powerful. There are also special episodes where you can briefly play as some of the other characters you find in the main story. A nice wee touch to get more background on them, and to tie up some loose ends

The music is also very, very good. It really does add to the mood that the game is setting - makes the happy heartwarming parts that much more heartwarming, the creepy parts that bit more creepy, and the emotional ending even more emotional.

As for my reccomendations...well...that's a hard one to nail down. To be honest, I thought seeing and experiencing pokemon with a plot for once worth the

Offline Tempo

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
    • DeviantArt - Sytren
    • FurAffinity - UrsydeCaffe
  • Fursona Species: Kamchatka Bear
Re: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of The Sky
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:51 pm »
I LOVE IT!

I love all the MD series but Sky is my absolute fav!

Time/Darknes and Sky are the similar, I regret getting Darkness, I thought it be different, oh well.
I still haven't finished the game but its really fun, especially with the Secret episodes, and music :3

And its really refreshing to see it actually have a Story.
"If you're afraid to fall you fall because you're afraid, everything is choice" - Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Mamilius

• ...chances are that someone out there needs some. :3
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 11
  • always be kinder than necessary...
  • Fursona Species: Grey tabby
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:34:14 pm »
FYI, the main differences between time/darkness and sky, is that the mini episodes (bidoof Vs. jarachi, team charm, igglybuff the prodigy) were added only to explorers of the sky, which imo gave the story a little more depth where it already had some, overall a great game, and also, the only differences between time and darkness is the veriaties of (I dare say it) version exlusive pokemon.  :fox-:):
We are what we become through our actions.

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
  • Scrum num num
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:47:03 pm »
Finally someone else who plays the mystery dungeon games. No one I know seems to play them. Why? They are so cool. I am a pikachu but my partner is a riolu because he is so cute and awesome. I found that when you do completely do the story, even the second story, it gets boring as everything is done and I am not god like enough to be able to do the zero isles.

Everthing aside there is one thing that I cannot get tired of and that is when you wake up in sharpedo bluff and hear the music. I love that music hearing it just makes my day sometime.

I wish they would release a pokemon mystery dungeon on the xbox 360 because then you can have achievements to work towards. As long as they keep the sky jukebox in and add the ability to have more than one save file then I will be the happiest person ever.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:11 am »
I played as a (no lie) chickorita with a mudkip partner, was rather confused about it, since riolu would definately have been my preference, but i ended up being lazy and going with it instead of shuffling through results. :3

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »
I am actually glad that I chose riolu as my partner over being my character because even though I think riolu is so sweetums the partner gets to do so much more than you do. He actually gets to converse to others while you sort of stand there thinking to yourself. Probably dribbling. See this is why they are trying to destroy the world because the main character is a drain on society. I actually wonder whether my partner wants to punch my guy sometimes even after all the hugs they give each other.

Plus I probably would have chosen him anyway but the character selection means you have to restart the game if you get one you don't want. Oh well lazyness turned out for the best.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »
well that was an (unfortunately true) flaming review on the main character's character.  :3

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 09:43:12 am »
I am looking forward to a new one though but with the extra characters from black and white and more dungeons with cooler music (somehow) and maybe even actual movies so you can have a movie player along with the jukebox. Though the one thing I want sorted out is the bit when you take two whole steps away from someone on your team and then they decide it is helpful if they wander off somewhere and get killed thereby wasting your preciouse revivor seeds. *anger*
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:48 pm »
WHOOOAAAAA!!!, they've already announced a new one for 5th gen?!?!?!?!?!!!!  :lol-fox:

edit: ohhh, you were referrring to the assumed one that should eventually come out, got me going for a minute there!.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:04:36 pm by Mamilius »

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:56:09 pm »
oops sorry about the confusion.

Though I wouldnt put it past them to make a new one which is a good thing. It has everything I ever wanted in a pokemon game and that is a damn good story and characters that I actually care about. Although I am currently bored with it as I have nothing else to do. Dammit why can they not put in extra game slots?
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »
oops sorry about the confusion.

Though I wouldnt put it past them to make a new one which is a good thing. It has everything I ever wanted in a pokemon game and that is a damn good story and characters that I actually care about. Although I am currently bored with it as I have nothing else to do. Dammit why can they not put in extra game slots?

By far my biggest critisism of the pokemon franchise.

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 01:32:47 pm »
@ wolfy: yeah, well no worries, I sorta enjoyed the temporary excitement for pokemon during this LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNG, news lul, Apparently they are announcing some sort of new game (spin off or otherwise) next month for 5th gen (despite the fact that they said that they would anounce this month, grrr.)

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »
Hmmm this spin off could mean anything, however hopefully they will do the right thing and make it another mystery dungeon. Will have to wait till my birthday though I am so broke right now.

I dont really know if I will even change my characters because as embarrasing as it sounds I have really got attached to the little guys after all they have been through I kind of want them to keep going at it.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »
I know what you mean, despite the fact that metagross is my favorite Pokemon by far, I really got to love my character pokemon types. :-)

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:38:40 am »
Its because of all the story really. In films and games with good stories that you enjoy you get really attached to the characters and you don't want to let go of them. E.G. I love watching a series called Farscape and in the final episode everything is going to hell and people die that have been there since the first series and I am just like, what the hell how can you do this they were main characters?

I never got attached to any characters from the normal pokemon games because lets face it beat the elite 4 (even though there are five of them!?!?!?!?) and conquer the evil team of baddies whose clothing gets more elaborate as their names do, isn't really much of a story is it?
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:32 pm »
nope, and IMO that is probably why they created the mystery dungeon series in the first place, to capitalize on the large audience of pokemon fans who refuse to play the game due to a lack of good story line. I think they more than made up for the lack of story in the main series with both the main story of mystery dungeon explorers of the sky, and especially the back stories in the special episodes. they add a great deal of depth to the story. :3

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 07:27:42 pm »
I know they are all pretty awesome. I think my favorite special episode has got to be in the future of darkness. I just love playing it over and over although do you have any idea who it is dialga is talking about at the end because they say "oh it's a miracle" but then dialga was all like "no it was a being higher than myself" and I was like confusion to the extreme. It still confuses me but maybe they would explain that within the possible new game.
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Mamilius

• Orange Level
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 04:19:08 pm »
I think that he (dialga) is referring to (like so many other people in 4th gen do) Arceus.

Offline Wolfy

• "Graaaaape"!
  • Orange Level
  • Scrum num num
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »
Oh yeah i just looked him up on google because until now i had actually never heard of him and it says many people believe that it was him. He could have a part in the possible new game which would be interesting, though i shudder to have to fight him as apparently he can pown giratina, palkia and dialga at the same time with ease.  One question do you know how to unlock the destiny tower as google won't tell me. I have looked up its stats and am certain I will get crushed attempting it but it is worth a try
I WUV MAH KITTIES!

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:02 pm »
I'm still far more fascinated by the fact that they made Dusknoir try to electrocute Grovyle with odd electricity that 'melts his spirit' so that he can inhabit his soulless body as a perfect disguise to go back and kill the player character and the partner when they'd be overjoyed to see Grovyle again