Author Topic: Sucker Punch  (Read 795 times)

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
Sucker Punch
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:05 pm »
Just got from the theater, I have to say I loved it.
It's got everything a nerdy teenage boy would love, robots, dragons, steampowered nazi zombies. The visuals where great. I'll try not to give to much away but, the story is about Babydoll and she sent to a insane asylum. She devises a plan to escape by collecting key items like a video game. She befriends Sweet Pea, Rocket, Amber, and blondie. THe dream world is like her escaping reality and facing her troubles in the real world. I'm glad to see another movie with strong female roles. My favorite character was Rocket, I just love girls with short hair.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Steelyphil

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 33
  • What is this mess?
    • FurAffinity - steelyphil
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Fuchsia Devil or Exciting Gryphon
Re: Sucker Punch
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:37 am »
I thought it was a pretty sick movie.
The visuals were terrific, and the story line was pretty decent.

What did bother me though was the terrible german accents that the nazis had (it sounded like they've never spoken any german before)
And the part where they blatantly ripped off the visuals of LotR.
But you know
It's still worth seeing.

Offline Will

• British Mouse
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 43
  • meh, none of you gave a shit
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:33 am »
I went to see sucker punch on Saturday and I have to say I loved to visuals in the action scenes and the story was good as well. I have to say this is an underrated film. Some people said its not a good film but I beg to differ i really enjoyed it. Even though I liked it I kept wondering what was happening in reality (you know the very dull version of the asylum) it would of been better if it focused on that a bit more.
"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may mean the world."-Brandi Snyder

Offline Kelly

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 16
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:23:09 am »
This was one awesome movie; I never thought I'd see Nazi zombies, robots, dragons and ice giants in one movie. But it's not a happy ending teen movie, that's sure. I would have really liked a happy ending.
Watch "Missing Lynx"

Offline Sanguine

• Advocate of Male Lingerie
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • Everyone needs a tail for a pillow.
    • FurAffinity - sanguine_reyna
  • Fursona Species: Red Panda
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:40:59 am »
[Spoiler warning for detailed analysis]
So I went to see this recently, and frankly it's AWESOME. Sure, the fantasy action scenes were pretty epic, but there was a lot more to Sucker Punch than chicks with guns, something that a lot of critics fail to see, calling it shallow.
So we have Baby Doll, instituionalized for accidentally killing her sister whle trying to protect her rom her angry step father. She's due to be lobotomized in five days, and thus with the help of four other girls in the asylum, goes about securing objects for her escape. But this is all told in a flashback seconds before her lobotmy, and she imagines the asylum as a brothel, where Blue the head orderly is now Blue the pimp. The point of this is the brothel corresponds to the asylum almost directly, because The girls suffer sexual abuse from the orderlies, organized by blue. These correspond to brothel 'clients' and almost everything in the first and second level fantasies (he brothel, and battles), such objects, enemies and characters can be attributed to something real-life in the asylum.
But there's a lot of wild theories about the film, such as the one where all the girls are either part of Baby Doll's psyche, or Sweet Pea's psyche (the only other girl we actually see in the asylum, and who baby helps escape). This is because many of the characters can be applied to a different portion of a personality, like strength, courage, loyalty, cowardice etc.

So take whatever interpretation you wish from this movie, but be above the critics, and at least try to see past the chicks and explosions, because it really has a lot more to offer (And I probably didn't explain it as well as it needs to be).

And by the by 'strong female roles' doesn't mean 'give them guns and make all the men act like misogynist assholes', which is sort of how it came across.
"Inside this room, all of my dreams become reality, and some of my realities become dreams."