Author Topic: Artistic Advice Thread.  (Read 15708 times)

Offline JeffCat

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Weird guy
    • DeviantArt - Jeffrecat
    • FurAffinity - JeffreyTheCat
  • Fursona Species: Black Anthro Cat
Re: Artistic Advice Thread.
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:35 pm »
I think that highlight on it is giving a weird look. Breasts are mostly just fat, BUT they are connected to muscles. Breasts have a legitiment shape, they aren't just circles or ovals.
Well darn, I was told by many artists to draw them like water balloons.

The left of the face also has aweird shape. It suddenly just stops as it hits her hair.

It ends under the hair. With an art tool, you can zoom in and see it's barely pointing out of her hair.
Please excuse my bad grammar or spelling. Its a problem because of a long story.

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • FurAffinity - cookiethebluecat
    • Twitter - nicholas_cookie
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 08:31:20 pm »
I thought this thread was supposed to be dead or something omfg.

Anyway, I don't think the problem with this piece is with the boobs as much as the whole anatomy of the body is there, yet not quite there. Rotate the canvas such that the face is  upright, and you'll see what I mean. You also seem to have failed to recognise and apply the squash and stretch principle, albeit one that is of importance in animation, yet applicable to all forms of representational art.The thing with your boobs is that you aren't drawing them like water balloons, instead more of an iron ball bagged by skin. Try looking at 3/4 profiles of boobs on bodies and practice water balloons in general.

Edit: the head deviates to the left, but the top part of the neck should, too
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:33:25 pm by Cookie-N »
KEK

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 07:06:40 am »

The left of the face also has aweird shape. It suddenly just stops as it hits her hair.

It ends under the hair. With an art tool, you can zoom in and see it's barely pointing out of her hair.

Thing is, even if that sliver of hair is covering (what I assume to be) a 3-Dimensional head, there is going to be some shading under that hair. It will be slight, but it'll be there. From your other shadows I assume the light is coming from above, so there needs to be more shading to define the shape of the head.
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 145
  • ech
    • DeviantArt - ViolentJade
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2014, 04:38:48 am »
The advice I have to give is, to fix the anatomy. The head looks to be off in the position of the shoulders. The shoulders, don't look feminine. A females shoulders are more round. Just like the body shape. The legs, look to be off and just standing on their own in the finalized picture you drew. The leg looks to bulky, and not round like a woman's anatomy. Hands, look to be like there wasn't enough detail put into them. Breasts look kinda unrealistic, seeing the way they are facing. The curve in the body, looks a bit wrong with the torso. Hair looks a bit flat, and needs more support for detail. Building a model sheet then working off of it is important. If your sketching digitally flip your canvas often. It will help you to see errors your eyes haven't seen. Overall, I really like this pose! Its not static. It has a expression I like on the character. I like the way you drew the eyes along with the shape of the ears. Keep trying to draw anatomy, sketching model sheets is important. You got unique poses down too!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:40:45 am by LonaLove »

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

A reference sheet I created, just some notes I had.

I also posted this is my art thread too, so feel free to use this. I do however request that you give me credit to this if you choose to post it on any other site.
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • Cookies: 230
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
    • FurAffinity - tinyproto
  • Fursona Species: Gray Fox
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2015, 12:50:20 am »
Ok, so I was bored at school and decided to draw a whole body with nothing else than my own arms and legs as a reference. It's this one

What parts should I improve? Are the proportions good or bad? Or so horrifying that they make your eyes bleed?
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
:redvelvet:  :pawheart:  :proto:
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

"Have you gone yoicks?!" - Soren, Guardians of Ga'hoole

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2015, 06:09:54 am »
That's a base, not a whole body. For example, the kneecaps are missing.
KEK

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:41 am »
Alright then, it's a base body  :fox-:P:

Also, thank you for pointing that out. Anything else I should know?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:07:07 am by Angela »
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

Offline Cookie-N

• lennyface.psd
  • Green Level
  • furries trigger me
    • DeviantArt - cookie-n
    • Tumblr / Art Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 07:50:01 am »

The hips should be slightly bigger than the belly, the soles of the feet are unnaturally flat, other than that, seems fine, and I can't really comment much on your hands anyway seeing you didn't even bother to define them at the very least.
KEK

Offline Proto

• Luckiest fox alive
  • This is super sweet!
    • DeviantArt - TinyProto
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 02:39:53 pm »

The hips should be slightly bigger than the belly, the soles of the feet are unnaturally flat, other than that, seems fine, and I can't really comment much on your hands anyway seeing you didn't even bother to define them at the very least.
Thanks. I'll work on those things and I admit that it was very lazy of me to leave the hands like that, but I just can't get them right. Next time I'll at least try
  • Flag - mexico
  • Site Donor
Taking on commissions!
 Here are my prices

Offline CelerenTheFox

• Fluffy Fluff Ball
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »
Can somebody help with the muzzle because I've been trying all week to get it right but it never quite looks good and I can't tell why :?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:26:12 pm by CelerenTheWolf »
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • ech
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 04:37:56 pm »
Can somebody help with the muzzle because I've been trying all week to get it right but it never quite looks good and I can't tell why :?

I can help you. Now for me its really hard to explain. But, I shall try my best. There are many tutorials on the internet that can help you on building a head/muzzle. What I recommend doing is looking at k-9 photos. Study the direction in which muzzles go. Try setting it up on a sketch and imagine a circle. Draw said circle. Then imagine a 3-D muzzle attached to your circle. It will help shape it and give you a good idea of how it looks like. You can find tutorials bellow. Remember to aim for that cone like shape and also reference! Hope that helps :D

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/195/d/f/muzzle_tutorial_by_eternalescape-d57973t.jpg
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/344/f/7/anthro_head_ref_by_kaze_fox-d34mtch.jpg
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/117/d/9/canine_muzzle_tutorial____by_paradedemon-d7g5j1s.png
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/291/8/5/Muzzle_practice_by_Foshu.jpg

Offline CelerenTheFox

• Fluffy Fluff Ball
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 06:15:36 pm »

I can help you. Now for me its really hard to explain. But, I shall try my best. There are many tutorials on the internet that can help you on building a head/muzzle. What I recommend doing is looking at k-9 photos. Study the direction in which muzzles go. Try setting it up on a sketch and imagine a circle. Draw said circle. Then imagine a 3-D muzzle attached to your circle. It will help shape it and give you a good idea of how it looks like. You can find tutorials bellow. Remember to aim for that cone like shape and also reference! Hope that helps :D

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/195/d/f/muzzle_tutorial_by_eternalescape-d57973t.jpg
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/344/f/7/anthro_head_ref_by_kaze_fox-d34mtch.jpg
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/117/d/9/canine_muzzle_tutorial____by_paradedemon-d7g5j1s.png
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/291/8/5/Muzzle_practice_by_Foshu.jpg
Thanks :fox-;): These should help, I've looked at a few before but couldn't find anything indepth enough, thanks for sharing these I'm hoping I can eventually get to your standard(I'm a big fan of your work! :blush-fox:)
  • Flag - britain
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Bulldeg

• a very anxious ace from outer space
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • Furry & Weeaboo trash
    • DeviantArt - thepopping
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Wolf & dog hybrid (not my avatar)
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 02:25:59 pm »
can anyone please link me to some good (human) male hair references, tutorials or sketches i really want to try out more hairstyles aside from the simple emo hairstyle which i've overused on my feral and anthro artworks. pwetty pwease?  :lol-fox:
  • Pronouns: She/Her, He/Him or They/Them (Questioning/Genderfluid/-flux). Some days I have preferred pronouns.

~Depressed & stressed, but still hella well-dressed ~

''You say you love animals, but you eat them. You say you love flowers, but you cut them. You say you love me, and I'm scared.'' - Unknown (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)

Please call me Anna or Marra ~  English is my third language ;~; I'm really trying my best!

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • ech
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2015, 04:47:31 pm »
can anyone please link me to some good (human) male hair references, tutorials or sketches i really want to try out more hairstyles aside from the simple emo hairstyle which i've overused on my feral and anthro artworks. pwetty pwease?  :lol-fox:

I'm not sure what type you are looking for. Like realistic, or magna. Whatever the case may be I will help you.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ef/7c/40/ef7c40b92201993b6d39b980f924f51f.jpg
http://sleeproom.me/drawing-anime-boy-hair.html
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a2/fb/1e/a2fb1edcdcf61d401285e6e1c93d0fb8.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/311/4/e/anime_guy_hairstyles_by_wenqiann-d5k9tiy.png
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/248/2/d/practice__hairstyle_for_boys___01_by_futagofude_2insroid-d6l6dwr.jpg
http://th06.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/142/7/8/anime_guy_hairstyle_sketches_by_pinkkittyayh-d3gzulr.jpg

If you need more check deviantart, tumblr, or even pinterest. I have a lot of hair references saved. Hope that helped.

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • P-play with m-me? p-please?
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2015, 08:28:13 pm »
Just drew my first picture digitally on my own, also my first time shading xD
I need help as to how I can draw it better and how to not draw it so bad soooo.... Critique appreciated lol
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:35:47 pm by shards »
Remember, "People are not against you, they are for themselves" - unknown

Offline Kettz

• Blue Level
  • ech
    • FurAffinity - Kettz
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2015, 08:38:53 pm »
For a first this is quite exceptional!  :lol-fox: . You got a great idea on your shading. The eyes seems to not look the same in size. The way your colored it makes it look very good. The hair/fur is a bit to spiky looking. You could try making them with strands. The eyes look way to close to the nose. But if its your style and how you want to draw it, go for it! Lastly, your lines look a bit shaky. Confidence in when drawing your lines is important. For a first start I'm impressed. You have a great start! Can't wait for you to upload more  :fox-:):

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2015, 08:39:19 pm »
Just drew my first picture digitally on my own, also my first time shading xD
I need help as to how I can draw it better and how to not draw it so bad soooo.... Critique appreciated lol

The right pupil seems to be escaping from the eyeball lol
But if that's just your style, then it's up to you. Maybe even them out a bit though; ensure both pupils are the same shape.

Also the shading: you might want to work with a higher opacity & build up the shadows more gradually.

Other than that, great job.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:50 pm »
Thanks guys ^w^
btw that is my fursona too x3

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:41 pm »

There... I drew another one in another style... I hope I smoothed out the lines more this time. Is there anything wrong with this one?

Also, if I make more, should I just start my own art thread?