Author Topic: Artistic Advice Thread.  (Read 15652 times)

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Re: Artistic Advice Thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
YES! Definitely make your own thread, you deserve to showcase your work :fox-:P:
Also that is SUPER CUTE omg <3 It looks cleaner than the other one, so that's a nice start! The shading is nice, some of it is the wrong shape or in the wrong place, but it doesn't detract from the image too much. The main thing I'm focusing on is the hair--it looks really flat, especially compared to the rest of the image. Instead of a large area of shading on the side, try shading with individual strokes to represent individual hairs. You don't have to do every piece of hair of course, just enough to give it texture. Hair is generally darker at the bottom and top, with highlight areas in the middle.

Speaking of highlights, you could add some more to the entire image. The highlights in the eyes look great, so don't be afraid to push them in the rest of the image  :lol-fox: For example, since noses are wet, it should have some highlights on it, as should the tongue.

Shading is pretty much about determining your light source and understanding how different textures reflect light. Its a frustrating road sometimes, but it looks like you have a good start <3
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline End

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 406
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2015, 02:17:06 am »
Well this is a little awkward. I'm sorta stuck on a digital drawing of my Luna moth fursona and need a little help. In the case of an insect, what would be the best way to draw it's body? Like an actual one or a humanoid one?

Or any advise on what to do with this
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:26:06 am by S.H.I.E.L.D »

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2015, 07:09:40 am »
Moths!

It's looking good so far. If you want ideas for anatomy, maybe you could watch media with anthropomorphic insects? A Bug's Life and Antz are good places to start.
I also know a few furries that have insect fursonas and draw insects. I could direct you to them if you want.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Uncle-Noob

• Am I going to fast for you?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • My age exceeds your IQ. . . Significantly.
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:52 pm »
It really depends on what kind of art you are looking for. Personally, I do anthropomorphic, but I've never had to deal with bugs before.

There are ways to draw bugs like humans, particularly ants and moths. However, I would suggest an actual moth body for now. If you would like to make a humanoid version, consider checking out the mystery of the moth man. If you google "moth man," you'll get some references.

BE WARNED! If you do search it on google, some of the images are very creepy, and needless to say, plain scary. Search images at your own risk, some of that stuff is really frightening. (Moths aren't exactly the more common and pleasant looking things)
Still confused? Then perhaps this will enlighten you!

Middledistancerunner. I managed to save just a little bit of money. You and I can both get jobs, and we'll finally see what it means to be living.

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »
Your moth sona looks so cool so far! I've always really liked the look of anthropomorphic bug bodies (like in a bugs life) they're different and interesting to look at. Can't wait to see what you decide and how they turn out :fox-:):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Placeholder

• Beep
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 109
  • Boop
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 08:57:10 am »

Any thoughts? The paper wasn't flat when I took the picture

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • P-play with m-me? p-please?
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2015, 09:16:19 am »

I'm sorry no one replied to you earlier, but it looks great! Much better than I can do! I could see people commissioning you for a sketch like that, the only thing that stands out to me is the tail, I may be wrong but, I think its supposed to have the jagged floof stuffs on the bottom side of the tail, and maybe it could be a little thicker towards the end of it. That's just my personal opinion but overall 9.5/10!

This is extremely impressive ^w^
Remember, "People are not against you, they are for themselves" - unknown

Offline guapo

• we can start and finish wars
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 289
  • we're what killed the dinosaurs
    • DeviantArt - teethpunk
    • FurAffinity - benzos
    • Twitter - mcfreaking
    • nice aesthetic!
  • Fursona Species: conepatus semistriatus
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2015, 10:27:08 am »

oh my gosh this looks exactly like my old art the nostalgia
i did the hair over one eye and arms behind back like that always

ok onto advice!
the fur on the tail grows in the opposite direction! the tufts would go the other way.
broader shoulders! the head should be around half the width of the shoulders in most cases.
giving the inner ears some fluffs would be super cute ;v;
other than that, just more detailing on clothing would be awesome!

don't be afraid to branch out with poses and angles and all that fun stuff
my art never really started improving until i lost that fear
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: they/them/their
the dinosaurs choked on the dust
they died because we say they must

maybe i'll come back later
see ya

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:56 am »

Thought I'd pop in and maybe get some critique for this, because criticism always helps :3
This is a deer

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:59 am »

Thought I'd pop in and maybe get some critique for this, because criticism always helps :3
This is a deer

That's really cute! But it looks like a generic feline/canine rather than a deer, so be sure to exaggerate the deer-specific attributes (especially important in headshots)
Looking at references will help you do this:
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/deer-profile-5599-michael-peychich.jpg
The main things are the nose and ear shape. Notice how the nose is curved, kinda an hourglass shape, instead of the triangle-shaped nose of felines and canines.
The ears should also be more elongated and rounded. Deer actually have really big ears, so making them larger and more of a stretched-out triangle shape will help define the species more  :fox-:P:
Looking at the way other artists draw deer (or whatever species you're drawing) can also help a lot. I personally didn't even realize there were so many defining differences between animals until I started to really study other artists' work. Making all faces look the same is a mistake everyone makes; you just want to break out of the "everything is dog" syndrome as early as you can, to prevent your work from becoming stagnant.

Like I said, its so cute overall, though  :fox-:P:  I really like the expression and overall mood, and the way you did the eyes. The background is also nice, really ties the piece together.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Ashton Snowpaw

• Orange Level
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 01:11:22 pm »
Thank you! :)

Offline Zaizanahr

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • PACK PACK KILL KILL
    • DeviantArt - zaizanahr
  • Fursona Species: Caracal
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2015, 12:37:55 am »
Necropost? Necropost. Whatever.

Please critique this ref sheet of my sona:

Mostly the design honestly, because I've improved at anatomy and stuff since then. But i'm really unsure about his design.
  • Pronouns: any
zai ;; 13

Offline IndigoAvemour

• Burrito Bird
  • Cookies: 1
  • All hail the glorious bean and cheese burrito
    • FurAffinity - indigothefennec
  • Fursona Species: Phoenix
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2015, 02:15:16 am »
It's been a while since I've been on this site, but I was wondering if I could get some advice on inking and clean lining digitally.

It's been something I really suck at. I still, even after years of using my tablet, have far-from-perfect hand-eye coordination, and in general lining art is frustrating, tedious, and very time-consuming.

Here is one of my first major attempts at line-arting. It's okay, but certainly not perfect.

Here's my most recent attempt. I got frustrated, and pretty much just gave up halfway through. :/ I tried using thicker, more "expressive" line, but eh, I dunno if it looks any better.

I have little else to show since I don't practice enough, depression's a bitch. But what could I do to improve? Is there anything you guys could advise me on?
  • Pronouns: I'm a guy, but I literally don't care either way. He/she/they, doesn't matter.

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2015, 10:21:23 pm »
That lineart is super clean, I have no idea what you're talking about o_o

Other than that though, you could vary the linewidths more. Like the things in the very front of the first picture (the hand, maybe the face and other arm) could be even thicker to really contrast with the feet. It looks nice like that, though :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 58
  • Icon by Nagi <3
    • DeviantArt - TheSecondRachel
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 12:13:44 am »
#1: I'm kind of experimenting with Photoshop right now, but I can't really draw anything that well as I'm not familiar with digital. Does anyone have any resources that can help me a little?

#2: Also, I'm extremely self-critical and I'm always comparing myself to other artists. I hate everything I draw and I'm always beating myself up. Other artists- what helps you? How can I minimize this? /:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:15:18 am by TheSecondRachel »

Offline Shia

• Christmas Cutie
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 278
    • DeviantArt - rroad
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 12:07:24 pm »
#2: Also, I'm extremely self-critical and I'm always comparing myself to other artists. I hate everything I draw and I'm always beating myself up. Other artists- what helps you? How can I minimize this? /:

I see a lot of extremely talented artists out there, and sometimes I think "They're so good! Their style is amazing! I wish I could draw like them! My art sucks!" (I think all artists tend to be critical of themselves and their art) but here's some things to consider:

-Everyone has their own unique style, it just takes time to develop!

-No one's art or way of drawing is bad, it's their own artistic interpretation of a character

-Most of the well-known and "expert" artists have been doing art for a long time. I asked one of my favorite artists, TwilightSaint, how it long it took to get this good and the reply I got was 6 years of digital art and drawing since (she?) could hold a pencil
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Avatar by Kipekee and sig emote by Avery

Offline TheSecondRachel

• Manatee Queen
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 58
  • Icon by Nagi <3
    • DeviantArt - TheSecondRachel
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 02:16:47 pm »

I see a lot of extremely talented artists out there, and sometimes I think "They're so good! Their style is amazing! I wish I could draw like them! My art sucks!" (I think all artists tend to be critical of themselves and their art) but here's some things to consider:

-Everyone has their own unique style, it just takes time to develop!

-No one's art or way of drawing is bad, it's their own artistic interpretation of a character

-Most of the well-known and "expert" artists have been doing art for a long time. I asked one of my favorite artists, TwilightSaint, how it long it took to get this good and the reply I got was 6 years of digital art and drawing since (she?) could hold a pencil

I'll keep those in mind- thank you ^^'

Offline VRT

• Lives off sugar and bad ideas
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • Mood: Delicious
    • Twitter - @VRTCANDY
  • Fursona Species: Cyborg Bat
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2016, 03:06:48 am »
Not sure if this a necropost or something, but I was looking for criticism on this. I know the cropping is weird, that's not what I'm worried about. Mostly I'm talking about character design, perspective, and general shape/sihlouette, but I could really use any advice on how to improve this. Any thoughts?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His, but really any are fine, I don't personally mind
INTP

"The horizon bears such a beauty
We'll never know how much we can't see" - TesseracT

Creatures of shadow will soon consume me.

Offline Anzu

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Hey everyone~! Anzu here! Nice to meet you! <3
    • Twitter - @FlyerCat_Tweets
  • Fursona Species: I'm a Cat!
Check out my art (Light Feedback with some pointers)
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2016, 11:26:55 pm »
http://www.piskelapp.com/user/6658733992050688/public

I made furry pixel art! I was hoping for some small tips with my art!

Offline Atheltrane Brant

• Many people think my puns are...
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • "otter" garbage! XD
  • Fursona Species: Otter
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2016, 06:51:19 pm »
Hi! I just started drawing, and I'd like some advice on proportioning (but not too harsh please!!). I find it really hard to balance between the actual autonomy of an otter, with a body just barely wider than the head, and that of a human. I feel like his head is too large, although that might be ok in a cartoony style (?). Also, the left arm (his left) looks strange due to lack of perspective, and maybe the elbow is too high.... Ok, I kind of just critiqued myself, but any more advice, especially on body proportions of anthros, would really be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I see that there's a couple other people before me requesting advice, so make sure you hit them up first ;).
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Brevity is the soul of wit (and signatures), and thus, I will be keeping this on the short side, except I guess it's kind of long now....