Author Topic: The Looney Tunes Show  (Read 515 times)

Offline Duino

• Logical by Design.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Stupid by Choice.
    • FurAffinity - Duino
  • Fursona Species: Mandarin Duck
The Looney Tunes Show
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:18:29 pm »
   As I'm sure some of you everyone is aware of by now, I love Looney Tunes. It's a shameless appreciation, really. So when I first heard about this show a month ago, I felt an overwhelming sense of panic. I know, you'd expect elation, but given other contemporary adaptations of the characters, not to mention the fact that Cartoon Network's show quality has really degraded save a few programs, I had a feeling this was going to be painful to watch. As the promos went on, though, the writing seemed to be a bit more clever than I expected, and I felt better about going into it. I'd be lying if I said I was excited, but I wasn't dreading it either. It premiered two nights ago, though this is the earliest chance I've had to write a real review of it.

The basic premise of the show is Daffy has moved into Bug's home to "get back on his feet," and the individual episodes will follow their day to day lives in a sitcom atmosphere. An article found here has the creators talking about it and comparing it to Seinfeld, and after watching an episode I think it rings true. It's not as subtle as Seinfeld's style, because you can't really have subtlety with characters like this, but the parallels are there and in rare form. An established setting is again an interesting concept, since previous Looney Tunes cartoons took place in every country on Earth and even different time periods, but from the sound of things it's really rather well handled.

The theme song- an upbeat jazz version of "The Merry-Go-Round is Broken Down"- scored high points with me right off the bat. I was expecting some overly showy sing-song introduction that no one needed to hear, but it was totally instrumental and the visuals were simply a more contemporary version of the iconic rings that would surround the Warner Bros. logo before each old cartoon. It was simple because that's all it needed to be. The theme always sets the mood for the entire show for me, and I'm happy to say I was glad this one didn't try and do work that really didn't need to be done.

The episode itself centered around Daffy trying to prove that he can be a good friend despite what Bugs says, leading the pair on a game show and eventually a cruise ship as he attempts to prove it. It wasn't a laugh riot, I'll be the first to say; some of the jokes were cheesy or just didn't do it for me. However, the majority of the episode was clever and enjoyable, and while it wasn't terribly groundbreaking, it was refreshing. The characters are represented excellently, and the plot develops at a nice pace and in logical order. There was even a break in the middle for a "Merrie Melody," which seems to be a regular animated music video that'll happen once per episode. Again, something I thought would be groan-worthy, but something about Billy West voicing Elmer Fudd singing a love ballad to grilled cheese made me smile.

Overall, I'd say this was a good experience. Again, they're not trying to reinvent the wheel. You could call it a repackaging, but I feel like that has a negative connotation the show doesn't deserve. The animation style is different, but so is the comedic styling. Like all things of this nature it's something to get used to. I'm not going to let a few changes turn me off right away. What's important is you've still got the same characters, and they're as unchanged as the format allows, which is a whole lot. While I'll probably maintain a few canon-based pet peeves for a while (for instance, Daffy's middle name is actually "Dumas," not "Sheldon"), I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

TL;DR Version: While the art, setting, and overall style are different and may be an instant turn-off, the creators and writers seem to know what they're doing and put together a solid first episode that holds true to the character's personalities and themes. It's worth a watch before really forming an opinion, and I at least know I'll be looking out for it in the future.
And that's why they call me Duino Duck- Drake of Daring, Mandarin of Magnificence, Water Fowl of West Seattle!

Offline Itami / Suki

• The Darkest Rose in the Whitest Snow
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 19
  • I'm in your nightmares, making them reality.
    • DeviantArt - skullzie01
    • FurAffinity - skullzie
    • Twitter - itami19
  • Fursona Species: White Taber (White tiger/tabby)
Re: The Looney Tunes Show
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
Honestly, when this show came out, I was apalled. I still am! Its more adult in themes now, than the origional Looney Tunes. I loved the massive ammounts of cartoon violence and depleating censorship. Now, it focusses more on how the story rolls by, which is fine if it were any other cartoon, but it isnt staying true to classic Warner Brothers style. I mean, come on, Daffy and Bugs get girlfriends? I agree, its like a sitcom. I just think, its a little too much change from the origional style.

Just a quick question though... What ever happened to Barbera "Babbs" Bunny? Just wondering why she was dropped and replaced with Lola Rabbit.
Never have i felt so happy. Never have i felt so alive. You are my one and only. I love you Nazia. Forever and always.