Author Topic: Stargate Universe  (Read 377 times)

Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Stargate Universe
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »
So, as I just read that Stargate Universe has been cancelled I figured it'd be a good time to review what I think of it.

First off, I must confess that when I first heard about the premise I thought it'd just be a Battlestar Galactica ripoff and far inferior to SG-1 and Atlantis. These feelings soon dissipated after watching the three-part opener. The script was well written, the acting was top notch - and the way it was shot simply blew the first two Stargate series out of the water. This looked gritty, real, and even though I was a fan of the original two series this made it look campy and amateurish in comparison.

Of course, there are those that will say that SG1 and Atlantis were more "fun" than SGU - but that's the point. SGU was always supposed to be a character driven storyline, about humans rather than a space-opera like SG1. The casting was amazing, and unlike the other series it had a large ensemble cast of characters who were all unique and believable as people rather than just "characters in a show". You got the impression these people were real rather than acting...

All the characters are flawed in someway, just like real people. Theres no "Carter" or "MacKay" to create a maguffin that solved their problems...The characters on Destiny mess up, they make mistakes, they can be annoying and angry, and sometimes just plain dicks. Obviously, you can single some actors out - Robert Carlyle and David Blue play blinders in every scene they're in, but it's the supporting ensemble cast that truelly create the atmosphere. The relationship between doctors Brody, Volker, and Park has to have a special mention - as does that of Colonel Young and Colonel Telford.

Graphically it's what you'd expect froma modern Sci-fi - polished and pretty, but that's not what will stick in my memory when thinking about this show. What will stick in my mind is the world that was created through the characters and their relationships and struggles.

In summary - one of the best Science Fiction shows of the past 10 years just got cancelled. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, and it'll sit proudly on my shelf next to the new Battlestar Galactica and Firefly.