Offline Roofus

• Resident Grumpy Old Fur
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 86
  • Whatupwidat?
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
Zodiac
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:26:01 pm »
Just watched the film Zodiac (2007) for the second time and I wanna talk about it.

For those who don't know, the film is about a real-life serial killer case in 60s/70s California who called himself Zodiac. He sends letters and cryptic clues to newspapers and police, taunting them to catch him. The main character is a cartoonist for the San Francisco Chronicle (I love him already) named Robert Graysmith - played superbly by Jake Gyllenhall - who becomes obsessed with the case.

But for me it's the large supporting cast who carry the day, the stand-outs being the police detectives played by the ever brilliant Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Edwards, and San Francisco Chronicle reporter Paul Avery - played by the equally brilliant Robert Downey Jr (has RDJ ever been bad in a film? If so, I'd love to know what one...the dude is a tour-de-force)

No spoilers for anyone who doesn't know of the case (and if you don't I really suggest NOT researching it beforehand) but needless to say for a story that spans over 10 years the film is long. At 2 and a half hours, some might say it's too long...but for me that's where it's genius lies.

You see, the film is NOT actually about the killer - don't expect a kind of Silence Of The Lambs-esque look at his mind working. It's an film about those whom the case swallowed, who's lives were altered by chasing Zodiac...and in that reguard it works beutifully. You're with them every step of the way, down every wrong turn in the investigation, through every red-herring, through all the red tape. They get old, some grow sick, some give up...

This film is NOT for everyone...fans of Se7en - another of Fincher's films - probably won't like it. But for those who allow the film to take them in, like the Zodiac case took in those dipicted, will feel like they were there...like they helped.

One of my favourite films of all time, and I recomend it to anyone that wants to watch a film about a real-life case that is almost 100% accurate to events.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:30:42 pm by Roofus »