Author Topic: Terraria  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
Re: Terraria Help:
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
yo I'm actually in the exact same situation, I just bought terraria and opened it to find I had no idea what was going on. So while I don't have any actual advice I'd love to hear from other people too.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 05:41:09 pm »
I haven't actively played for a few years but I can answer some of the questions since the mechanics are mostly the same to this day.

But first, most of your questions can be answered in the Official Wiki.
This wiki definitely helped me with playing the game back when I played a lot.

What are some tips for building?
Try to build NPC houses around the height where demon eyes do not spawn but not so high you are seeing harpies and wyverns(for the most part) in hard mode. This means no enemies can really reach them prior to hard mode and that during hardmode, any of the enemies that can pass through walls won't be in that area. However, things might have changed since then but its still relatively safe I would think. The main threat is hardmode Wraith enemies that spawn near ground level but can pass through walls.
If you don't want to bother with building a floating house a simple solid wall that is about 1 block taller than the player in an upside down L shape with the overhang facing outwards can prevent most zombies from passing it as they get stuck under the overhang.

How do you attract NPC's?
Depending on NPC there are several requirements. First off you need to build a suitable house. The guide for what is considered a house is here. Then there are certain requirements to meet before an NPC spawns. For example, the Mechanic is found in the dungeon for you to rescue. The rest of the NPCs and their requirements can be found here.

What type of armors can you make?  I doubt platinum is the highest it goes.
There are maaaaany types of armor and definitely much higher than Platinum. Later modes often have several sets of "endgame" armor with different traits. However with the new modes coming out every so often the endgame is being pushed farther back with each major update usually.

Any tips for managing inventory? I feel like I forget things in chests and because I don't know what I need to make I have to put everything in my inventory to figure it out. Problem is I can't fit everything in there eventually...
Try using signs to mark what is in each chest. Or using different types of chest to put certain items in and remembering it.

I've seen there's servers but I feel like with terraria this wouldn't work? It feels more like a game built for a few people or even more single player...
I usually just run small servers with friends as major servers are often overpopulated when the world size isn't infinite.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:43:45 pm by Sleek »
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 05:48:17 pm »
Thanks. I'm actually reading the WiKi right now.

It seems for the NPC's I might be good just making a lot of suitable houses for them and letting them spawn as they do arrive.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:34 am »
The Wiki really is a life saver when it comes to Terraria and it can be extremely challenging to get into the game if you don't use it extensively (I still keep it open in the background even when I play to this day.) That said I will venture to provide additional insight into your questions.

What are some tips for building?
Another method to try and quell the spread of corruption of Crimson is a to dig out a good sizable tunnel around your village to prevent it from spreading to areas you intend to build on. In my experience, it should be something like 7 tiles wide and tall (assuming you dig a horizontal tunnel connecting your two vertical tunnels as opposed to digging all the way to the underworld in two vertical tunnels.) But really don't get too fixated on trying to keep all mobs out at least that's my advice. You defiantly want to keep the crimson/corruption away so it doesn't drive out your npcs but in early hard mode it will spread really fast and the world being overtaken is pratically an inevitably. It will be hard at first but eventually going through Crimson or hollow will feel like a walk in the park.

How do you attract NPC's?
As Sleek said above all of the requirements for finding NPCs are well documented on the wiki.

What type of armors can you make?
Intially if you going to be a melee character or Ranged character Platinum is about the best armor for you when it comes to pre-hardmode. If you play as a Mage you will either want to try and get Jungle Armor or Meteorite armor based on personal preference. (Meteorite works really well with the Space gun and can do some good DPS but is lacking in other stats compared to the Jungle Armor) After that when you go into Hard mode the armor paths will start to branch away from each other and you will wear different armor pieces within sets to get different bonuses for your class until you eventually wear different armor sets entirely.

Where can I Find guides to make all the items everywhere less confusing?
Again the wiki is your best bet for exact item functionality. They also offer guides on fighting bosses which suggest some of the better weapon choices you can use when fighting them which can be really helpful if you're having a hard time with a boss. Even more helpful when you first go up against someone like Skeletron or the 3 Mechanical Bosses in hardmode.

Any tips for managing inventory? I feel like I forget things in chests and because I don't know what I need to make I have to put everything in my inventory to figure it out.
Apart from putting signs above and near chests, you can also rename chests. Renamed chests will display their new name as a tooltip whenever you hover your mouse over them. Should you choose to install tModLoader there is also this mod here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wheres-my-items.55451/, which enables you to pull up a search bar and type in an item name. The mod will automatically apply a shimmering effect over any inventory containers that have an item that matches your search query.

I've seen there's servers but I feel like with terraria this wouldn't work? It feels more like a game built for a few people or even more single player...
Based on everything I've seen and felt playing the game I would be highly inclined to agree that the game simply doesn't quite work with large servers. I would defiantly say if you can convince your friends to start another playthrough with you the game is certainly more enjoyable but one of the wonder's of Terraria is it's already exceptionable enjoyable even in single player once you get your bearings.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 03:27:09 am »
okay. Thanks for the help all!

I've been reading the wiki a lot and managed to get the merchant and Nurse to stay in my house. it's a nice house comming along. I've seen people mining by using just a hole and some rope and that's working for me right now.

I'm not going into hardmode anytime soon so I don't have to worry about crimson XD there is some weird area past a snow biome that I think is crimson/corruption but I wouldn't know since I haven't seen both and this is first. Actually managed to run through it without dying this time so I've explored past the 1/3rd mark on the world. I've also read that the Eye of Cuthulu spawns in certain conditions and well... I might see that soon...

Also my slime pet thing is adorable and I want a plushie >w<
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Dr. Noon

• ★⋆ Call me Mommy ⋆★
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 48
  • ~ The Best Mamma Cat ~
    • DeviantArt - Lions-Game
    • Bork
  • Fursona Species: Orange Tabby
Terreria
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2017, 11:54:39 pm »
Prolly spelled the name wrong XD
pretty much, I just got the game on PC if anyone wants to play ^^
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - france
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Award - Graphic Artist
~Hello there~

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
Re: Terreria
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2017, 12:31:07 am »
I'd be up for playing but not sure how to use multiplayer.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline Dr. Noon

• ★⋆ Call me Mommy ⋆★
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 48
  • ~ The Best Mamma Cat ~
    • DeviantArt - Lions-Game
    • Bork
  • Fursona Species: Orange Tabby
Re: Terraria
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2017, 03:19:33 am »
Okay, it just need to finish downloading-
my pc is so slow ;.;
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - france
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Award - Graphic Artist
~Hello there~

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
Re: Terraria
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:52 pm »
Welp. I've found I enjoy this game alone really...

When I play with people it's just me being thrown a bunch of items i have no idea how to get.
  • Pride Flag - gay