Poll

If FT were compatible with Tapatalk, the cross-platform smartphone forum app, would you use it?

Yes, absolutely!
Probably/It'd be nice to have
Maybe/I don't know/The WAP version is fine
This doesn't affect me/I don't have a smartphone/I don't care/I wouldn't use it
This is a horrible idea and I'll leave forever if it's implemented

Author Topic: Mobile App For FT (Official Poll)  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Mobile App For FT (Official Poll)
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:07:20 pm »
In recent years, a couple members have asked about a smartphone app for FT.  The answer has always been that SMF, our forum platform, doesn't have the proper API for this to be possible, and I don't have the time to develop one, nor do I have the skillset necessary to write mobile-device software (especially across multiple platforms, it'd be silly to write something like that for just one).  However, having recently acquired a smartphone myself (Android!), I did some searching, and happened to come across an app called Tapatalk, which solves this problem nicely.

Tapatalk is two pieces, a forum plugin, and a collection of smartphone apps.  To put it simply, Tapatalk provides an API that its apps can connect to, without having to load the actual forum pages.  The app is $3, but it works on every forum that's installed the API component, not just FT.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if some of you already had it.  The best part?  It's available on almost every smartphone/PDA/tablet platform; Android, iOS, Blackberry (stable beta), Windows Phone 7 (via 3rd party), and WebOS (via 3rd party).

So!  While it's tempting to install the API just for my own use, I'm a very lazy admin, and I wanted to see if anyone else would use it if I installed it.  Plus, while it's a very widely-used tool, I'd want to test it a bit before committing.  Thus, we have a poll.  Also, please note that this would only be compatible with the forums, not anything else on the website (and while I'm starting to sound like the Duke Nukem developers, we will eventually have a website).
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: Mobile App For FT (Official Poll)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:30:50 am »
It doesnt matter much to me. i just use the browser on my droid. it works fine.  :fox-:):
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline SmirGel

• Scott "The Biker Kid" Taylor
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 41
  • METAL means music and image, truth and freedom
    • FurAffinity - daa123
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:13:24 am »
how about nokia or sonim ?

I'm using Sonim XP3 Quest Pro

and I think it would be nice n_n

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 05:00:45 am »
how about nokia or sonim ?

I'm using Sonim XP3 Quest Pro

and I think it would be nice n_n

I'm not on the Tapatalk dev team, nor do I want to be, so I can't really make this happen.  However, some preliminary searching reveals that there are Tapatalk-compatible apps for the various Nokia/Symbian/whatever platforms are out there (they have almost zero market share in the US, so I really don't know what the options are), but they're third-party and/or unsupported by the official Tapatalk team.  But, if we do this, it'd probably be worth looking into.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:38:37 pm »
I like the sound of it being compatible on Android and iOS. I think you should do it, I've seen the mobile version of the site, and it's too complicated. I also think that the site runs ok on Safari and my browser on my Samsung, but it would be WAY convenient if there was an app.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 04:15:46 pm »
The site works perfectly on my Blackberry's web browser, I'm not sure what the problem is? o.0

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »
Just to clarify, this isn't about the site being unusable on phone browsers.  Rather, it's a matter of having a different method of accessing the site, which I can almost guarantee would be faster-loading, and would reduce load on our server.  In that regard, it's a win-win.

There seems to be a decent amount of interest in this, so later today, I'll be re-opening the Beta Site to give it a try; I've actually never used Tapatalk, so I'll want to experiment a bit before deploying it on the live site.  If you'd like to participate, see my post below.  Please note, this round of beta testing is for Tapatalk testing only, so include your model and platform of smartphone in the email, and get a copy of the app.  If you don't want to spend $3 just for an FT app, keep in mind that you can use the app with every forum that has Tapatalk installed, which is quite a lot of them, judging by the number of forum posts out there with "Sent from my iPhone" or "Sent from my Android device" at the bottom of the post.

(PS:  Beta-test participants get a special profile badge!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:07:32 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:19 am »
Ok, I haven't actually installed Tapatalk yet, but I've re-built the beta site (it hasn't been used in over a year and a half, and a lot's changed since then), and revamped the join-method, since we'll probably be using this a lot.  So, if you're interested in participating in this, go to http://beta.furryteens.org/, and read the Joining thread for further instructions.

Further discussion of this will occur on the beta site, until we've determined whether or not to install this plugin here.

Also, if you're a past beta participant, or a staff member, you're invited to go over there and post things
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:22:11 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:05:36 pm »
I don't have a smartphone but i'd use it if I did. (I voted probably lol)
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:32 am »
It was a pretty quick beta test, because Tapatalk is awesome!  I was very impressed, with both the user experience and with the ease of installation.  Our other testers were pretty pleased too, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare this a success and deploy it on FT.  Probably on the other sites hosted on this server too.  Not only does the app provide a great interface for the forums, but it has some notification support, and it greatly reduces server load while improving response times!  And without any discernable privacy concerns (I was worried that the client ran through a proxy, but nope, it's clean).

I'll update this thread when it's ready, but if you're interested, you can go ahead and get the app for your device.  Like I said, there are quite a few other sites that use it, including a few furry ones, so it's definitely not just for FT.  Here are some links.

Tapatalk Main Site
iOS Download (iTunes)
Android Download (Android Market)
Blackberry Download
Windows Phone 7 (third-party developer site, with download links)

It's also available for WebOS/Palm, via a third-party developer, but I couldn't find any sort of download link.  I wanted to give a special thank-you to Lance for testing with it, and hopefully he'll share some information on how to acquire it, in case we have any other WebOS users here :-)

If you don't have a device with one of those operating systems, it'd be worth doing a search to see what you can find, the server back-end is popular enough that it's been unofficially ported to a few other platforms not supported by the original development team.  And, if you find one for your device that isn't listed above, PLEASE give me the info!  I'll be compiling a better instructional post once we get this up and running, so that information would be helpful to have!  To get you started, I've confirmed that a Symbian/Nokia version was in development at some point, and it exists somewhere, but I couldn't find a download link.  I also searched for J2ME/Javaphone versions, but couldn't really find anything; unfortunately, with the advent of smartphones, J2ME development has greatly decreased, but it's still worth looking around if you want to give it a try.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:28:15 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:35:28 pm »
It was a pretty quick beta test, because Tapatalk is awesome!  I was very impressed, with both the user experience and with the ease of installation.  Our other testers were pretty pleased too, so I'm gonna go ahead and declare this a success and deploy it on FT.  Probably on the other sites hosted on this server too.  Not only does the app provide a great interface for the forums, but it has some notification support, and it greatly reduces server load while improving response times!  And without any discernable privacy concerns (I was worried that the client ran through a proxy, but nope, it's clean).

I'll update this thread when it's ready, but if you're interested, you can go ahead and get the app for your device.  Like I said, there are quite a few other sites that use it, including a few furry ones, so it's definitely not just for FT.  Here are some links.

Tapatalk Main Site
iOS Download (iTunes)
Android Download (Android Market)
Blackberry Download
Windows Phone 7 (third-party developer site, with download links)

It's also available for WebOS/Palm, via a third-party developer, but I couldn't find any sort of download link.  I wanted to give a special thank-you to Lance for testing with it, and hopefully he'll share some information on how to acquire it, in case we have any other WebOS users here :-)

If you don't have a device with one of those operating systems, it'd be worth doing a search to see what you can find, the server back-end is popular enough that it's been unofficially ported to a few other platforms not supported by the original development team.  And, if you find one for your device that isn't listed above, PLEASE give me the info!  I'll be compiling a better instructional post once we get this up and running, so that information would be helpful to have!  To get you started, I've confirmed that a Symbian/Nokia version was in development at some point, and it exists somewhere, but I couldn't find a download link.  I also searched for J2ME/Javaphone versions, but couldn't really find anything; unfortunately, with the advent of smartphones, J2ME development has greatly decreased, but it's still worth looking around if you want to give it a try.
I checked the Droid Market and there is an app called "Convo" that can run forums that use Tapatalk. It seems limited with a 3.5 star rating on droid, but if you have a droid and can't afford TapaTalk. This is an alternative.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Online SPOOKCIFUR ☠

• Let's go!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 100
  • A' suh dudes!
    • DeviantArt - Spartan329
    • FurAffinity - LanceThyla
    • Twitter - Lancifur
    • Weasyl - Lance
    • My Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Thylacine
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »
Thanks Natasha ^^

The app for WebOS is an App called "Forums" and as said, it is Tapatalk powered. The app is still $2.99 and runs pretty well while still being really easy to use. It still lights up the icons next to the boards, signifying that there's a new reply in there. The only real "problem" I had, was some logging in issues that were quickly solved and the "Beta Talk" board disappeared, but could still be found through the "New Replies" thing. Lastly, just something cool I found out, there's an option called "Shake to Refresh," oh yeah, exactly what you think. Shake the phone, refresh the boards.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 10:06:18 pm »
My 10 dollar messaging phone can display FT both in lite and full modes easily, so I wouldn't need or use it.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline H2o2go

• marksman furry
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 14
    • FurAffinity - h2o2go
    • Twitter - @Rio_guy1
    • Bloody Borzoi Comic
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 05:30:44 am »
Was this ever implemented? I just want to know befor I spend 2.99 on tapatalk. If it has FT app here I come!
When I started walking and I looked down and I saw on the floor this water, which looked like, you know, water in your basement...  except, however it happened to be in the auxiliary building of a nuclear power plant...

Offline Ecklestein

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 16
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:20 am »
This is a horrible idea and I'll leave forever if it's implemented... How dare you even think about doing something like this!

... :3

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
Has there been any more thought on this ? I love the sound of it, especially as I already have tapatalk :D
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline Sheriff

• To Serve and Protect
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • K-9 Unit
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:11:38 pm »
I hate when I'm in the middle of a typing out a long reply or post on my iPod and it crashes. Then I have to type out the whole message again *Flips table, and iPod for that matter  :fox-:P:
Awesome Avatar By the One and Only SonarSnow!!! Thank You :D

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »
I hate when I'm in the middle of a typing out a long reply or post on my iPod and it crashes. Then I have to type out the whole message again *Flips table, and iPod for that matter  :fox-:P:

THE WORST THING EVER! My ipods ancient, and seems to do it purposely ^.^

Precisely why this would be great! Although no guarantees against crashing, would be nice to have an app
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"