Author Topic: Presenting Furry Fandom to the Public: Helpful Resources  (Read 16293 times)

Offline Salem Ambrogio

• Salem Kills Kittens
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 9
  • I've got a method to my madness.
    • DeviantArt - SalemKillsKittens
    • Amateur Website :D
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Re: Presenting Furry Fandom to the Public: Helpful Resources
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »
People are so accepting homosexuality, piercings, tattoos, civil union, sexual and drug-related material in the media. Why can't furry fandom be accepted like that? The town i live in, a guy i know came to school in heels and a dress. Some people messed with him, but the majority of the school didnt even do a double-Take. Its a normal thing, you could say haha
kik: SalemKillsKittens

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
FA now has a SFW side to the site.

Don't trust it ouright. It matters only because it exists, and I'm under the impression they're becoming as totalitarian as they reasonably can with enforcing it.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Nazia

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Itami / Suki's mate <3
    • DeviantArt - ToxicwolfX5
    • FurAffinity - Nazia
    • LiveJournal - toxicwolfx5
  • Fursona Species: white tiger/wolf
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »
ok so i was asked to do a presentation on the furry fandom for my highschool in the auditorium by my principal, seeing as the furry student body at my school has multiplied by nearly 12 times the number (4-6) durring my freshmen year (and im now in my senior year), to kind of create a basic understanding of the fandom amongst teachers and fellow students alike. Sounds awesome right? Well the catch is im only allowed to have two volunteers to help present and set things up, and it doesnt help much that my school is full of people who tend to:
1 not pay attention
2 reject fact and replace it with opinion
3 cant stay on subject
and 4 are highly immature
My principal understands the furry fandom becuz his son is a furry, so he wants me to explain the furry fandom as fully as possible . . . . . . including mentioning the whole yiff aspect -.- thats gunna be my major problem is how to explain but also how to get the point across that yiff is not what the furry fandom is based off of.
also i cant watch those videos cuz right now im in the schools computer lab and have no internet access at home so please any help would be much appreciated
P.s. can anyone think of a school appropriate yet comedic intro to the furry fandom involving a fursuit? cuz tbh im pulling blanks lolz

People are so accepting homosexuality, piercings, tattoos, civil union, sexual and drug-related material in the media. Why can't furry fandom be accepted like that? The town i live in, a guy i know came to school in heels and a dress. Some people messed with him, but the majority of the school didnt even do a double-Take. Its a normal thing, you could say haha
i k how you feel we have a cross dresser at my school and barely anyone takes notice yet i tell someone im a furry (wether they know of the furry fandom or not) its always the same reaction "eww omg" or "wtf? ur a furfag" and in my head "-takes a rifle and puts the barrel to their head-"
:staffedit-multi:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:04:15 pm by Gage »
youre finishing lines have been said your script ends here you role in my play is no more .....but as with any romance play your place has been replaced bringing in fesher talent and bringing new blood to the cast body i am both the main character and director and you meirly and extra you are no longer needed you are dismissed ....after all she is a much better actor than you and she did not try to rewrite my play beneath my nose and keep it secret she meirly sugests this is hers and mine graveyard and moon sceen you had your chance but your acting just wasnt to par..... until death .....so long......Au revoir

Offline riccardo romano

• I'll try pretty much anything once.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 16
  • then then go again just for a laugh.
    • DeviantArt - riccardo-tiger
    • FurAffinity - /riccardo/
  • Fursona Species: Siberian tiger
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 12:16:45 am »
also i cant watch those videos cuz right now im in the schools computer lab and have no internet access at home so please any help would be much appreciated
P.s. can anyone think of a school appropriate yet comedic intro to the furry fandom involving a fursuit? cuz tbh im pulling blanks lolz
first off, dat spelling. two, here let me help you. I can give you some things to pull from and sources. then maybe some incite and if you need it that bad. a first line or two to work off. if I a not too lazy. no promises on the righting it. but if needed I might try.
“Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom...is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go. -Anthony Bourdain”
R/T

Offline Midnight

• Hakuna Matata - No worries.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 20
  • When pigs fly!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf Thingy.
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:17 am »
Is it bad that I. Was laughing half of the time?:tongue:

Offline riccardo romano

• I'll try pretty much anything once.
  • Green Level
  • then then go again just for a laugh.
    • DeviantArt - riccardo-tiger
    • FurAffinity - /riccardo/
  • Fursona Species: Siberian tiger
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30:56 am »
it is no more complicated than saying, "yeah, we are kinda art nerds. like trecks, but with talking animals".
“Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom...is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go. -Anthony Bourdain”
R/T

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 07:31:03 pm »
I somewhat hate to open this line when I find myself linking people to this thread often, but is the frank approach really that bad?

There's the furry survey, which - while it may suffer from self-selection bias - shows us that sex isn't a big deal to furries over all.

There's the ratings point, where it's like "so a bunch of people sit down and watch All Dogs Go To Heaven and have a good time doesn't sell as much as OH MY GOD PEOPLE ARE DRESSING UP AS MASCOTS AND SWINGING" ... and therefore perhaps television shouldn't be trusted quite so much.

There's the cost/benefit point where it's like, suits are a grand at a minimum for a decent one or else a whole lot of labor and still a chunk of cash - would you waste a grand just to bump uglies? Sure people do, but how many people do you know that can effectively throw away that much money?

There's the over-accepting point where it runs such as "we don't have a high barrier to entry here, and a lot of people who need a social life end up where it's least resisted", ergo all the insane amounts of fetishism and so forth.

And I'm sure there are others and I do personally point out to people that these things are ridiculous and well studied. Think it was VF or something sent a woman into a convention only for that woman to find... Nothing but a clearly marked adult vendor and actually have a good time while she was at it? And even she was like "something is clearly amiss but they seemed genuine so..."

I realize this is simultaneously the most sane place to put this and one of the worst conversations to open up - and maybe I should open it on debate/discussion so it's away from people who are linked here. (And I whole-hearted understand if it is moved or modded out, don't get me wrong.)

I've just been thinking about this as I talk to people and realize that treating people like they can be trusted with perfect frankness and leveraging my reputation as a brutally honest and uncensored person has combined to let me talk openly and actually get a lot of people to look around and think about their lives and the things that make them smile. And certainly I just don't get made fun of anymore as every single person who would have in this town seems to have talked to me by now, or else is an underage punk who can shove it until they can gain an ounce of maturity.

And I find that the "draw away from this" approach invariably finds me distracting from the point or being defensive if I try it, though I do blend a lot of Kage's advice and introduce it as a matter of principle and the honest truth (we really are here because we like "funny animals" and everything that became of them, as a whole). For those who would read these points, don't think that it's necessarily a good idea to apply them or that Kage is wrong - he has a LOT more experience than I can ever hope to have and I'm only pondering something and trying to open a conversation about it.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Eisen der gsolf

• I don't want to go...
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
    • FurAffinity - EisenGsolf
    • Twitter - CaptianEisenIV
  • Fursona Species: Gsolf ( a Gshep/Wolf hybrid)
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:14 am »
When I told my parents , I was almost like Kage with the rant I went on explain what furry was.
Just do it. Don't wait for tomorrow. Because you will just keep telling yourself that.

Please feel free to PM me

Offline Rain Storm

• Horsie
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • Fursona Species: Equine
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:34 am »
I did not have a hard time coming out to my fiancee.  They are a non furry and I took a gentle approach to the matter.  She is accepting of it and knows I am into it.  But wants no part in it.  X3 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:45:59 am by Rain Storm »

Offline Voltz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 306
  • Fursona Species: -
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:17 pm »
Surprised I hadn't stumbled across this video sooner when browsing YouTube for furry related videos. Either way, I found the video to be pretty informative and it has given me some better ideas of what to say if I ever need to explain what furries are to someone else.
  • Pronouns: -

Offline Cadmus

• if life ain't just a joke...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 153
  • ...then why am I laughing?
  • Fursona Species: angel dragon
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 04:06:35 pm »
I think I was pretty much introduced to the fandom by kage videos. I was looking for funny rants and found the ''furries ruin everything'' panel and I thought to myself ''meh screw it why not'' and here I am.
  • Pronouns: her, hers, she etc
icon is by awkward rage
pondering if it's safe to eat the pringles since 2000

chibis by nagi

Offline Halus

• Green Level
  • Candies: 77
  • No step on snek
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:36 pm »
wait are furries and bronies rivals? im not sure. i always thought they were.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: It/its they/them/their whatevs

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 01:44:20 pm »
Found this story, posted in The Guardian -
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/feb/04/furry-fandom-subculture-animal-costumes

I think this is pretty accurate, and helps debunk all the stigma about furries. Thoughts?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Online flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 128
  • sushi dog
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 01:50:21 pm »
Found this story, posted in The Guardian -
http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2016/feb/04/furry-fandom-subculture-animal-costumes

I think this is pretty accurate, and helps debunk all the stigma about furries. Thoughts?
I like how they point out how the furry fandom is about creativity more than other fandoms, that's what I like about it ^^ (I guess MLP has some good fan stuff but yea).

Some people apparently identify as not all human, I thought that might be true but interesting to hear it here. Transpecies.
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »
wait are furries and bronies rivals? im not sure. i always thought they were.

Rivals might be a strong word but yes, there's tension between the two communities. I don't know why and I'm not sure if anyone can articulate the reasons why, either?
I seem to remember a thread on here about this, I'll have to look for it
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:44 am »
Bumping this to link to this really great short documentary by Faux!
https://youtu.be/0BoWxqJ7GWs
Very clear and to the point, and spotlights the positive aspects
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Cherry_Bepis

• Young Artist
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Mood: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    • DeviantArt - auriclowell
    • FurAffinity - SharpyDeer
    • Twitter - Cherry_bepis
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 05:27:59 pm »
Thanks! I'll do it :3
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - agender
  • Pronouns: Legit anything i dont care
~~~~~~~~~FORMERLY AURIC_SHIMA~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~FORMERLY RAMUNE_ROO~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Amethyst Moon

• OwO
  • Orange Level
  • I make tails!
    • DeviantArt - Amethyst-Moon-Furry
    • Amethyst Moon Creations
  • Fursona Species: Tundra Gemolf (My own type of thin)
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 11:48:54 pm »
I only really share it with pplz who are seeing me draw furries (and are wondering what i'm drawing), or one of my friends that are saying to me "woha thats good drawing!" "what is it?" And at that point, I just say what it is. They say "what is a furry?" I say "Its a anthropmorpic animal" "Whats that?" "a animal with human charistics" "Oh um that means...?" I just end it with  "Its like zootopia" Then They end it with "I get it!". Lol
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers/They/Them/Their
Do YOU have a crush on me?? OwO                http://thiscrush.com/~amethyst-moon