17 (5.1%)
No
223 (67%)
Occasionly
53 (15.9%)
Only at conventions
16 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 332

Author Topic: Fursuits  (Read 159344 times)

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 595
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Re: Fursuits
« Reply #820 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:52 pm »
honestly your fursuit is still one of my favorites
Like its easy to remember and recognize
Plus it reminds me of a candy store idk why aaaaaa ;v;

Thank youuu ;w; Being called a candy store is one of the best comments I've ever gotten LOL
Its funny you say I'm recognizable though since I'm literally just a giant purple mass
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Lucky7wolf

• Space Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Forever has a 7.
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #821 on: November 24, 2016, 08:17:21 pm »
Any one make one or know how to make a fursuit? I may plan on making one.
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His
Tasty old candy cane!
Skype @ luckywolfx7 if you want.
Maybe I'm these flags?
Thanks to the wonderful Zagan for the icon!

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 166
  • pls don’t pm
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
« Reply #822 on: November 24, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
On the topic of making fursuits, does anyone know how one would sew the fur onto a fursuit head? I never understood how people do that and can't find a good tutorial.
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

Offline Lucky7wolf

• Space Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Forever has a 7.
« Reply #823 on: November 24, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
I have saw a couple youtube videos, trying to see how they made the suits. There not easy to understand though. I don't think they sew the fur, I think the glue it somehow, but I'm not too sure. Like it almost seemed liked the fur "magically" stuck. Maybe the fur is like a sticker? What?
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Tasty old candy cane!
Maybe I'm these flags?

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Cookies: 155
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #824 on: November 24, 2016, 08:36:43 pm »
On the topic of making fursuits, does anyone know how one would sew the fur onto a fursuit head? I never understood how people do that and can't find a good tutorial.
I'm pretty sure that most people just glue the fur onto the head (I don't imagine sewing fur to foam would work too well, lol), but sew the rest of the suit. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by okayyourgrace on Chicken Smoothie, signature image by Niluna on Chicken Smoothie.

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • pls don’t pm
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
« Reply #825 on: November 24, 2016, 08:37:42 pm »
I have saw a couple youtube videos, trying to see how they made the suits. There not easy to understand though. I don't think they sew the fur, I think the glue it somehow, but I'm not too sure. Like it almost seemed liked the fur "magically" stuck. Maybe the fur is like a sticker? What?
I know fake fur isn't like a sticker, and I know many people just choose to hot glue the fur on. But I've seen videos and heard people say that they sew the fur on and that it looks better than glue, so that's why I'm interested.
  • Flag - xmaslight

Offline Lucky7wolf

• Space Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Forever has a 7.
« Reply #826 on: November 24, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »
Oh. I'm also curious about those moving jaws. Except I should probably focus on making one that's successful first.  :fox-:P: Except I don't exactly have a ref sheet yet, I'm learning how to draw though.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Tasty old candy cane!
Maybe I'm these flags?

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 248
  • I don't bite...hard
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Pig of somesort
« Reply #827 on: November 24, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »
For the fursuit thing, idk how to help other than look up lots and lots of tutorials. Matrices tutorials are some the first I looked up and really helpful^^
Also for the head thing, I'm assuming you mean attaching the skin. For me I sew the "skin" first than pull it over the head and glue it a bit as I pull it over especially crease spots were the fabric would be tucked in or vent/hole areas(like eye and mouth).
As far as I know I don't think fursuit makers actually sew the fur directly onto the head.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 128
  • chocolate macandeeum
  • Fursona Species: Hairless Chihuahua
« Reply #828 on: November 24, 2016, 08:40:51 pm »

I've gotten into fursuit making, I believe you're supposed to sew the fur with a sewing machine (or by hand) through a template that separates the head into pieces. You then glue with a strong glue on your resin or foam base. You may airbrush it or shave the fur after it dries. I'm not completely sure if I'm correct, you may need to do more research on it. You can find tutorials on Instructables, Tumblr, or other sites. Some fur fabrics have a sticky adhesive, but that would not be good if you want your suit to last. Good luck!
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

:shrimp:

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 595
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #829 on: November 24, 2016, 08:42:29 pm »
I know fake fur isn't like a sticker, and I know many people just choose to hot glue the fur on. But I've seen videos and heard people say that they sew the fur on and that it looks better than glue, so that's why I'm interested.

I think what they meant is that they sew the fur together, and then glue that onto the foam.
So you make a duct tape pattern of the foam head, use that to cut the fur pieces, sew those seams together, and then slip that around the foam head and glue it on. Sewed seams look a lot better than glued seams ^^

You can see the process I mean in the second and third pics
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Alastair

« Reply #830 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:33 pm »
Oh. I'm also curious about those moving jaws. Except I should probably focus on making one that's successful first.  :fox-:P: Except I don't exactly have a ref sheet yet, I'm learning how to draw though.
Ah, something I actually know about! Moving jaws are pretty simple, I'm pretty sure for most heads that have this, the lower jaw is just on some sort of hinge and you rest your chin on the inside of the lower jaw so that when you move your mouth, it also moves.

EDIT - Found a picture:

Avatar by okayyourgrace on Chicken Smoothie, signature image by Niluna on Chicken Smoothie.

Offline Lucky7wolf

• Space Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Forever has a 7.
« Reply #831 on: November 24, 2016, 08:46:06 pm »
Thanks! Kinda reminds me of a halloween mask i once wore, that was supposed to open when i talked. It didn't move enough and it really bothered the chin. This won't do that right?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:47:54 pm by Lucky7wolf »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Tasty old candy cane!
Maybe I'm these flags?

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• Swerve
  • Purple Level
  • pls don’t pm
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
« Reply #832 on: November 24, 2016, 08:47:16 pm »

I think what they meant is that they sew the fur together, and then glue that onto the foam.
So you make a duct tape pattern of the foam head, use that to cut the fur pieces, sew those seams together, and then slip that around the foam head and glue it on. Sewed seams look a lot better than glued seams ^^

You can see the process I mean in the second and third pics
I mean literally sewing the already made pattern onto the head, not how to put the fur together. I swear I saw someone do it in a video.
Wait, you mean what Lucky said.
  • Flag - xmaslight

Offline Alastair

« Reply #833 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »
Thanks! Kinda reminds me of a halloween mask i once wore, that was supposed to open when i talked. It didn't move enough and it really bothered the chin. This won't do that right?
Depends. I have a Halloween mask thing that has a moving jaw, and it works really well, but I've also seen where people put the same mask on wrong and it didn't work at all (or not well, at least). Moving jaws generally work better on heads with resin bases, and most foam bases with moving jaws don't move as much. I guess it just depends on whether you want a more realistic look or a more cartoonish look.

Offline Lucky7wolf

• Space Wolf
  • Red Level
  • Forever has a 7.
« Reply #834 on: November 24, 2016, 09:09:23 pm »
Depends. I have a Halloween mask thing that has a moving jaw, and it works really well, but I've also seen where people put the same mask on wrong and it didn't work at all (or not well, at least). Moving jaws generally work better on heads with resin bases, and most foam bases with moving jaws don't move as much. I guess it just depends on whether you want a more realistic look or a more cartoonish look.

Well then again I did have a cut on my chin. That might have been a problem.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Tasty old candy cane!
Maybe I'm these flags?

Offline Ozone

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #835 on: December 02, 2016, 12:21:13 pm »
I finally have a head that I edited parts of, No I'm not a maker txt me if you want to know how...

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • I don't bite...hard
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
« Reply #836 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:45 pm »
Didn't think this is worth a new thread so I'm gonna ask here.

I've been wanting to make a new head(or partial) for a bit and I can't settle on a species to even start with. The head will be chibi/kemono style I may or may not sell it depending if it turned out well(most likely a nope XD)
I'll also be experimenting with some 4 inch white fur I got awhile ago so something fluffy would be cool.

So got any suggestions? ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • chocolate macandeeum
« Reply #837 on: December 12, 2016, 07:31:18 pm »

I've been wanting to make a new head(or partial) for a bit and I can't settle on a species to even start with. The head will be chibi/kemono style I may or may not sell it depending if it turned out well(most likely a nope XD)
I'll also be experimenting with some 4 inch white fur I got awhile ago so something fluffy would be cool.

Try something simple to test your abilities, maybe a fox or feline would go great with that Kemono style you're going for. Do research on how fur naturally aligns so you can get a more professional look. Also try searching up color schemes on Google or maybe refrences to give you inspiration.

I'm thinking of something Goth Lolita-themed, since it'll go well with some Japanese trends.

EDIT: Also, I highly recommend DreamVisions and StuffedPandaStudios for quality fur suit parts(they're actual professionals themselves, and their products are decently priced), Etsy has a good selection on supplies so try and check that out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:39:21 pm by BerryCake550 »
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • I don't bite...hard
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
« Reply #838 on: December 12, 2016, 07:43:27 pm »

Try something simple to test your abilities, maybe a fox or feline would go great with that Kemono style you're going for. Do research on how the fur naturally aligns so you can get a more professional look. Also try searching up color schemes of Google and maybe refrences to give you inspiration.

I'm thinking of something goth Lolita-themed, since it'll go well with some Japanese trends.

Oh I've made a couple heads before and scultped a few as well(I experimented with sculpting a lot and never finished the heads XD), so I'm not exactly a beginner ^^ and chibi/kemono style is just my normal style, just stating it since whatever species I chose will be overly simplified.
Heres a rat I did about a year ago(which is buried in this thread somewhere too)

Despite the eyes being far apart I can see quite well but will be altering that a bit since from the front it does look weird ^^''

Its been tweaked a bit since then but just showing you an example of what I've done ^^ only second head I've officially finished though.
So feel free to throw any species at me! Made up or real!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • chocolate macandeeum
« Reply #839 on: December 12, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »

Try something simple to test your abilities, maybe a fox or feline would go great with that Kemono style you're going for. Do research on how the fur naturally aligns so you can get a more professional look. Also try searching up color schemes of Google and maybe refrences to give you inspiration.

I'm thinking of something goth Lolita-themed, since it'll go well with some Japanese trends.

Oh I've made a couple heads before and scultped a few as well(I experimented with sculpting a lot and never finished the heads XD), so I'm not exactly a beginner ^^ and chibi/kemono style is just my normal style, just stating it since whatever species I chose will be overly simplified.
Heres a rat I did about a year ago(which is buried in this thread somewhere too)

Despite the eyes being far apart I can see quite well but will be altering that a bit since from the front it does look weird ^^''

Its been tweaked a bit since then but just showing you an example of what I've done ^^ only second head I've officially finished though.
So feel free to throw any species at me! Made up or real!

Omg, that's such a well done head! I've gotten into fursuit making, but honestly making a suit of my main sona seems impossible not that I'm saying I won't try though

You should try something different, maybe a Wolly Mammoth? There's so many options :lol-fox: I hope you improve in the mean time though, cause that head looks really good (but I gotta say, the fur looks a little too short)