17 (5.2%)
No
219 (67.2%)
Occasionly
53 (16.3%)
Only at conventions
16 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 325

Author Topic: Fursuits  (Read 147499 times)

Offline UberFox

• The Extreme Gamer
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Im such a cutie
    • Twitter - Uberfoxydan
Re: Fursuits
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 08:16:59 am »
i saw a good tails and ears on ebay.

but my parents have being looking at me confused and asking me why i would want it.

I must also tell you that they don't know im a furry yet.

That would be a problem when getting a fursuit. That's the single reason I don't have one.

Yeah your right but its too bad i can't draw so having a fursuit could be the only way to enjoy the furry fandom.
"Final Fantasy VIII sucks and you suck for liking it!" - Spoonyone

Offline Travis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 17
    • FurAffinity - dirtracer
    • LiveJournal - dirtracer17
  • Fursona Species: black wolf
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:33 am »
i've seen a superbike stunt rider with ears and a tail. now i want some.

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 11:05:36 am »
I have seen motorbike helmets with ears before ^^

Offline furry blue fox

• Green Level
  • Candies: 31
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:05 pm »
Just got a checking account and a debit card. Im gonna go get ears for my helmet now.   :fox-:P:
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline UberFox

• The Extreme Gamer
  • Red Level
  • Im such a cutie
    • Twitter - Uberfoxydan
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2009, 02:10:35 am »
good news my parents have finally brought the tail ears combo i was talking about on ebay after explaining to them why.

you don't want to know.

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:35 am »
good news my parents have finally brought the tail ears combo i was talking about on ebay after explaining to them why.

you don't want to know.

I'd love to know you're excuse for getting it!

Offline UberFox

• The Extreme Gamer
  • Red Level
  • Im such a cutie
    • Twitter - Uberfoxydan
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2009, 09:43:38 am »

you don't want to know.

Well actually i told my parents that i was a furry and explain who furries are.

They were actually quite accepting of it actually they didn't mind.

it may take up to 5 or 6 days to get here but i will take a picture of it when i get it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:45:54 am by Dannytohotty »

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2009, 09:47:26 am »

you don't want to know.

Well actually i told my parents that i was a furry and explain who furries are.

They were actually quite accepting of it actually they didn't mind.

it may take up to 5 or 6 days to get here but i will take a picture of it when i get it.

I wouldn't ever do that. But please, do post some pics.

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2009, 02:13:25 pm »
I want a tail and I was considering doing something like that but I dont really want to have to explain stuff.

Offline Morgan Persimmon

• Participant
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 66
  • Now with 45% more!
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
Why do you feel the need to "explain" anything?
Is "Because I think it's neat" not a sufficient explanation?
[quote ]
(9:29:08 PM) Jamie: Heh, but for real? Not just a cat picture joke?
[/quote]

Offline Elder_Ancient

• Hidden
  • Candies: 0
  • Hide and Seek. You hide I will sit here.
Best Place To Buy A Fur Suit
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2009, 10:32:52 pm »
I want to buy a fur suit but were is the best place?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:38:14 pm by Natasha Softpaw »

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2009, 10:38:01 pm »

Merged with existing thread about this.  And, there's no need to make it glow.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Marcus

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 141
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2009, 01:14:23 pm »

I'll provide some makers for you. :p

http://www.beastcub.com/costumecommissioninfo.htm - Beastcub, she makes very nice fursuits at a very inexpensive price for her quality.

http://aroundthefurstudio.webs.com/commissionsandpricing.htm - Very resonable prices here and nice quality, $125 basic heads. :p

http://www.mixedcandy.com/ - Closed for commissions atm, but very beautiful suits. A bit costly though from what I've heard.

http://www.donthugcacti.com/ - Nice toons suits, not sure about prices.

Try look around the internet, type in "fursuit makers" in google and see what you come up with. Some other forums will have links to makers. I just reccommend these because they're well known and they get their fursuits finished on time.
My signature needs a change. It's been four years.

Offline Sarvix

• Red Level
  • Candies: 9
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »
I was never really sure about how to judge pricing, because I imagine when it comes to making a full quality suit made to fit someone, it most likely takes a terrible amount of work. But, just because of that, I do not want to wait a year for a suit or have poor communication issues with the person I commissioned.

I notice that when problems like this arise, poor communication, not getting work done on time, the fursuit not being what you thought it was, or the prices are just way too high, can turn off commissioners quick and it is the fault of the person commissioned for taking in work they said or felt they could finish but didn't.

When taking into consideration that you actually want a fursuit or partial suit or even accessories, review your options and don't hold back on being picky and particular with the person you commissioned. You can be polite about it but you shouldn't have to settle for crap just because you are buying something and not making it yourself.

I found the first way to go is, well, realism or toony or somewhere in between? Which do you prefer? Search for makers with a style you enjoy. Some makers even do both as well as in between all together. People such as Beetlecat aim for realism http://www.beetlecatoriginals.com/ while http://b3mascots.com/index.htm and http://www.furrhappens.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50 aim for toony. 

Most full suits are also made as partials anyway, that is, the full suit's gloves, tail, and foot paws are separate from the suit and if you are looking into a full suit that isn't a full suit all the time, this is greatly convenient. If you really just want a partial entirely, those of course cost less than full.

Next, think about the design of your fursona. Most of the complaints I hear about full suits are that they don't fit to the body and are too loose and the person feels lost inside. The heads are bulky, the eyes are blank and the expression of the suit is stuck in a forever smile, the foot paws are cumbersome, etc. You wear glasses all the time? The person you commissioned will hopefully ask you for a duct tape dummy http://www.mixedcandy.com/dtd.html and any extra measurements or things that could be accommodated in your suit. Even if you are not getting a full suit, you should to let the person know your measurements such as head, arm length, shoe size.

From there, there are:

Prostetics (Norhtfur)

Fursuit heads where you use your own eyes (These heads are lighter and easier to wear for longer periods offering you better vision because well, it's your own; North Fur, MixedCandy and BeetleCat do these as far as I know. I quite like the Mixed Candy ones, eg. http://mixedcandymascots.com/gallery/d/1360-2/13.jpg )

Fursuit heads with plastic or paste on eyes (This eye style is what usually gives you the "toony" look, eg. http://th00.deviantart.net/fs30/300W/f/2008/163/f/b/Lavender_Vixen_Partial_Fursuit_by_Quaylak.jpg)

Fursuit heads with glass eyes (these are generally used for realism aspect, eg. http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/262/f/3/Quadraped_wolf_fursuit_by_LilleahWest.jpg )

or fursuit heads with "follow-me-eyes" (which is a technique used for aesthetical purposes because some people would rather the head have the illusion of looking at you from different angles rather than one solid expression, eg. http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/210/5/7/L_Wolf_Progress_two_Eyes_added_by_RolePlayWulf.png or http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs10/i/2006/124/e/e/Savoy_Fursuit_by_TaniDaReal.jpg
tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEl_ur6Jkhc ,as they are really just concave eyes and a nice effect).

What are you going to use the suit for? Entertaining, personal use, cons or furmeets. If you are prone to over heating or have passed out before due to heat, take that into consideration. Remember that for first timers, going out for a long time, have a friend with you to be better safe than sorry. Moving jaws on a fursuit make it easier to shove a water bottle in there and are also there for the visual purpose of a moving, talking jaw. Fans can be placed in fursuit heads and the body to circulate cool air, though it will indeed make the head bigger.

Also, with full suits, you still have to wear clothes underneath and if out in public, appropriate enough so that if there is an emergency you can take it off. Partials will give you the lightness of wearing your own clothes, and have the same, less bulkier, effect of wearing clothes on top of a fursuit on top of clothes. You will still have to deal with the head, paws and feet.

Things like tails and ears are all over the place, just find a style you like. I don't believe tails or ears should ever cost more than 40 bucks but I guess that would depend on the difficulty and what tail you were looking for exactly. Most ears are fitted to headbands, and, I'm not really privy to ones that aren't but I myself hate the feeling of headbands so all I ever wear is a tail.

Do you want a tail that bounces, is it curly, is the fur long and wispy, is it scaled, is it thick, is it thin and long, do you want it to drag on the floor or not? Having them know your height helps for this purpose and you can find big names as well as small names that make tail, ears and partials.

Maybe someone cant quite get the husky look you are going for or someone doesn't do good lop eared rabbits compared to erect ears. Some tails are only shaped by the stitching that went into them while some have a foam insert or a posable spine. Some tails may be too heavy for a normal belt.

General tail attachments are usually either two straps or two velcro pieces. The two straps are intermixed between your belt and the back loop of your pants and this method allows the tail to not move along the belt and stay in one place. The Velcro straps, surprisingly sturdy if done right, can be used on just the back loop of your pants alone without needing a belt to hold it in place. I personally go with the straps since I always wear a belt anyhow. Search around.

I found this person http://www.furaffinity.net/user/loveypuppy/ just the other day when looking at fursuit tails on FA. They are open for commissions on things such as collars, leashes, ankle bands, and body harnesses (a great thing for any sled dog that loves them...or other people). They also makes custom ears and tails.

Not to start a discussion either but on the subject of fursuits, I find it annoying they get more attention than people that don't wear them but the attention they get is understandable. It's just that not every furry is a fursuiter and you shouldn't be left out because you aren't one. I also find it annoying when people feel or say that "ears and tail is not furreh enough you poser :{" I'm perfectly fine with my tail, thank you.

As far as explanation to mom, my mom just thinks I'm doing "weird anime things" and that is alright with me.

I am now aware of my breathing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:27:11 pm by Sarvix »
Save a wolf, get a tamaskan!

Offline Lyssie

• Pandafox Will Eat Your Face. Or maybe Just Lick it
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2009, 03:47:54 am »
I work at Denver Children's Museum as costume characters, but we all know thats a fancy name for fursuits :D Those ones are VERY hot .. For now I stick to my tail, Ears, Collar and mittens. Its a lot more comfortable and besides I am quite fond of my body being accessible for cuddles!
Shouldn't love be without any limitation?

Offline UberFox

• The Extreme Gamer
  • Red Level
  • Im such a cutie
    • Twitter - Uberfoxydan
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2009, 05:05:13 am »
Good news the ears and tails that i (or my mom which i spent with my money) order online from finally came and its bigger than i thought it would be which is a good thing.

The best part was that i got some cute paw mittens as well. i think that was a good deal

Offline TGF

• Party machen!
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:52 pm »
I'd love to get a partial fursuit, but it's too expensive. And I don't think my parents would appreciate me blowing $350+ of potential college money on a costume.

Offline Riaku

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
Why do you feel the need to "explain" anything?
Is "Because I think it's neat" not a sufficient explanation?

parents can get VERY suspicious and nosey... if i said that to mine i would probably get the good cop bad cop investigation... and trust me with my parents doing it those investigations are hard as hell to get out of >.<

Offline Sarvix

• Red Level
  • Candies: 9
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »
I was trying to figure out where to post this between the "tail" topic and fursuits since I was planning on making not just tails so I guess I will put it here.

I decided since I didn't feel up to drawing too much, I'd make something instead and see if that's where my inspiration flew off to. While the stuff I really want is online, I brought two yards of this fur I found in a local store that I thought looked nice.

I couldn't figure out what it looked like other than some animal stuck between its winter and summer coats so I scribbled down some ideas I wanted to try out.

After seeing my mate's fedora ears I seriously wanted some >> so I made some concept sketches. Considering his hat was straw, I imagine he didn't have a problem fixing in the wire that he used to make them poseable but none of my hats are straw so I'm thinking about making a sturdy flat base to the ear so it doesn't move around too much with a slight dunk in the center of the base for a large safety pin.

Because I also wanted my ears to have shape, I was going to buy some foam so uh, for anyone that works with fursuits here, do you use any special type of foam? Is it just...foam? Hard, flexible? How do you carve it? I also wanted the bunny ears to be poseable. I'm not sure what is the best way to go about this for long lasting wire. That's probably a bunch of stupid questions. ><

Sewing the notches in the canine and feline tails will hopefully tighten up the curve of the already shaped pattern which is a mistake I made for my first tail.

I may have gotten the curve at the bottom but the top just came out flat instead of curving to the figure. Though, I also just stuffed it, nothing to shape it and the polyfill I used was somewhat heavy but it's mostly the fault of the pattern I think (I'm also sorta embarrassed about it because I couldn't find proper fur :[ just this fleece stuff and snowflake fuzz.) This time around I might put something sturdier near the base of the tail.

Also in the subject of shaping things, I have the idea to use an armature/spine for the cat tail for better movement. Hopefully that will also lighten up the weight. These are larger projects compared to the first tail I built and I have some spare fur sitting around to practice on so I think I'll at least start on the rabbit tail with it tonight till I can get out to buy other things.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:43:24 pm by Sarvix »
Save a wolf, get a tamaskan!

Offline KrisFurryboy

• WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! *crack addict*
  • Red Level
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:13 pm »
I'm actually working on my fursuit right now since I'm in online highschool and have nothing better to do with my time....
Better multitasking skills through massive caffine consumption!
The healing powers of Alcohol only work on scrapes and nic's, not on girls in seating bars who drown themselves in it -Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem -Bayside