17 (5.2%)
No
221 (67%)
Occasionly
53 (16.1%)
Only at conventions
16 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 329

Author Topic: Fursuits  (Read 152801 times)

Offline Shia

• Guess I'm romantic in a way
  • Board Moderator
  • Candies: 269
  • Why don't you catch me when I sway?
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
Re: Fursuits
« Reply #680 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:37 pm »
Skye, since you're the fursuit expert here, I have a quick question for you about the bodysuit! How do you start it off, is it like a pattern that you stitch together? How do make sure there aren't a lot of seams, and do you use big chunks of faux fur or small chunks? Just curious, I always wonder this when I see a fursuit! :fox-:):
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Avatar by Shlimaz on FurAffinity and sig emote by Avery

Offline Skye

• Smol
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 11
  • Icon by: http://www.furaffinity.net/full/18281666/
    • DeviantArt - skyehighsuits
    • FurAffinity - skyyee
    • skyehighsuits
  • Fursona Species: Winged Wolfdog
« Reply #681 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:19 pm »
Skye, since you're the fursuit expert here, I have a quick question for you about the bodysuit! How do you start it off, is it like a pattern that you stitch together? How do make sure there aren't a lot of seams, and do you use big chunks of faux fur or small chunks? Just curious, I always wonder this when I see a fursuit! :fox-:):

Well for Skye I was a bit lazy and used old clothes as a pattern by cutting it flat and using that, however I now use a duct tape dummy, which was is basically a duct tape replica of the body of a client! I can use this to make a pattern for the bodysuit so it will fit them perfectly! Just cut it so that it lies flat and use that as a pattern for the body :)
  • Pronouns: She/her/hers

Offline Shia

• Board Moderator
    • Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #682 on: January 09, 2016, 04:55:04 pm »

Well for Skye I was a bit lazy and used old clothes as a pattern by cutting it flat and using that, however I now use a duct tape dummy, which was is basically a duct tape replica of the body of a client! I can use this to make a pattern for the bodysuit so it will fit them perfectly! Just cut it so that it lies flat and use that as a pattern for the body :)

Thanks for enlightening me ^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.

Offline Raziel

• A Confused Tiger
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 15
    • FurAffinity - Oddtree
  • Fursona Species: Saber-Toothed Tiger
« Reply #683 on: January 09, 2016, 05:12:27 pm »
The thing with moving jaws is you have to build a structure to get it to move anyway, you could do it on a balaclava base, but add a layer of foam on th balaclava before you start, this will allow you to be able to glue on the structures, in terms of tutorials I personally haven't found one that helped me all that much, just do some trial and error so you can find your own way of doing it :)
What method do you use on your suits then?

I have only experimented at this point, however it seems I will be using plastic as a hinge on the side of the foam base, then building the jaw up with foam. Adding a piece of plastic inside the jaw to sit under mine, then use elastic around the back of the head to get it to close properly :)
Im kind of confused on your explanation, are you using a mix of two methods?

Offline Ives

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Candies: 154
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #684 on: January 09, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »
Someday ... I'm going to figure out a way to get a Clockwork Creature suit ... they're definitely my favorite. I calculated with their price estimator that a fullsuit for Alastair would cost about $7k-$8k.

...Someday.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Offline Skye

• Smol
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - skyyee
    • skyehighsuits
« Reply #685 on: January 09, 2016, 09:13:42 pm »
The thing with moving jaws is you have to build a structure to get it to move anyway, you could do it on a balaclava base, but add a layer of foam on th balaclava before you start, this will allow you to be able to glue on the structures, in terms of tutorials I personally haven't found one that helped me all that much, just do some trial and error so you can find your own way of doing it :)

I have only experimented at this point, however it seems I will be using plastic as a hinge on the side of the foam base, then building the jaw up with foam. Adding a piece of plastic inside the jaw to sit under mine, then use elastic around the back of the head to get it to close properly :)

I use all the best bits from different tutorials I've found, and my method changes with the fursuit :)

Offline Raziel

• A Confused Tiger
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - Oddtree
« Reply #686 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:35 pm »

I use all the best bits from different tutorials I've found, and my method changes with the fursuit :)

Oh ok, thats cool. I think i will probably experiment around with it. Also do you know any good places to get fur, i know were to get foam but i have no idea were i would even begin to look for fur :/.

Offline Skye

• Smol
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - skyyee
    • skyehighsuits
« Reply #687 on: January 09, 2016, 11:22:33 pm »

Oh ok, thats cool. I think i will probably experiment around with it. Also do you know any good places to get fur, i know were to get foam but i have no idea were i would even begin to look for fur :/.

Okay, my main sites that I get fur from are fursuitsupplies.com and fabric.com :) They have pretty resonable prices too :)

Offline Raziel

• A Confused Tiger
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - Oddtree
« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2016, 02:10:34 am »

Okay, my main sites that I get fur from are fursuitsupplies.com and fabric.com :) They have pretty resonable prices too :)
Thank you, if i ever do make a suit i will try to post a pic on here.

Offline Sharkbait★

• gay purple sparkleshark
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 119
  • bee bop to the top
    • DeviantArt - sharkdivus
    • FurAffinity - Shark-Bait
  • Fursona Species: Bull shark
« Reply #689 on: January 13, 2016, 10:10:48 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAdBEiJNr5q/?taken-by=_victoria10717_

my fursuit is done aaaaa <3 it's arriving tomorrow! i'll make an unboxing videoo

(btw thats not me in the video lol that's the fursuit maker)
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Shia

• Board Moderator
    • Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #690 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:22 pm »

my fursuit is done aaaaa <3 it's arriving tomorrow! i'll make an unboxing videoo

Aww, what a cutie! :lion:
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Adsila (add-sill-uh)

• Green Level
  • Candies: 40
  • Fursona Species: Main sona: Kirin/Qilin based creature
« Reply #691 on: January 13, 2016, 10:41:49 pm »

Omg ^_^ too cute!!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GaPkkGZGw
Watch this when your sad ^_^ red pandas are my favorite, so it works for me!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
"I respect animals more than people; we're the ones messing up this world, not them." - Anonymous
This sums up exactly how I feel ^^^

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 825
  • *sips starbucks*
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #692 on: January 13, 2016, 11:17:53 pm »

You fursuit turned out so cute!! <3 I can't wait to see you're unboxing video c:
(Unboxing videos are like a guilty pleasure of mine :$ )
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Feve | Signature by Yuunis

Offline Sharkbait★

• Blue Level
  • bee bop to the top
« Reply #693 on: January 14, 2016, 03:07:11 am »

You fursuit turned out so cute!! <3 I can't wait to see you're unboxing video c:

LITERALLY SAME
i watch them far too much
i think ive seen all youtube has to offer tbh
  • Pride Flag - gay

Offline Skye

• Smol
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - skyyee
    • skyehighsuits
« Reply #694 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:01 am »

LITERALLY SAME

Heheh I have the same Issue :P

Offline Raziel

• A Confused Tiger
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - Oddtree
« Reply #695 on: January 15, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »

LITERALLY SAME

Heheh I have the same Issue :P

unboxings are so fun to watch  :lol-fox: even though i always wish that i could be the person in the video xP

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 247
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Cougar
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2016, 07:17:20 pm »
^Funny I thought I was the only who watched them that much >u<
I just love seeing how happy people get when they get their suits(or atleast most of the time) honestly one of the reasons I wanna get into suit making.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Raziel

• A Confused Tiger
  • Red Level
    • FurAffinity - Oddtree
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2016, 09:25:41 pm »
I just love seeing how happy people get when they get their suits(or atleast most of the time) honestly one of the reasons I wanna get into suit making.

I want to try making suits too, but unless i get really good at them i probably wont do commissions. Also its summer i think i might start making fursuits, i will probably start with some paws then maybe make some feet and a tail and maybe even a head. I just want to play around with it. Im probably going to work on fursuits with my friend because we are both interested in making them.

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 247
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Cougar
« Reply #698 on: January 16, 2016, 06:00:35 pm »

I want to try making suits too, but unless i get really good at them i probably wont do commissions. Also its summer i think i might start making fursuits, i will probably start with some paws then maybe make some feet and a tail and maybe even a head. I just want to play around with it. Im probably going to work on fursuits with my friend because we are both interested in making them.
I'm not sure I'll ever do commissions, just pre-mades currently. It seems sometimes you either draw or make fursuits and as much as I love costumes drawing is my main focus right now^^ but I really wanna try to balance them out if I can.

Just realized I never posted Riot here, well she's not entirely finished either but not sure I'm gonna work on her much more though so I took some okay pictures since apparently I haven't taken anything decent since the last con I went too >u<

She has a tail and handpaws too but I have nobody to take pictures of me right now.
Anyway so this is my second head I've made so far, quite happy with it but there are a lot of things I'm gonna do different with my next head. One of them is making the eyes closer together, I actually have little difficulty seeing but it just doesn't match my art all that much especially now and definitely buying some wigs next time might be more expensive but should be more worth it. I do not like wefting and I really do not the natural wavy-ness of these x.x (most of the hair on the front was staightened) and yes my fursuits have to have hair XD

For my next head I think I'm gonna try a hyena since I have a nice idea for one already and after that I'm really thinking of trying an uncommon domestic dog breed to see if I can make the breed recognizable without having to resort to a realistic style and colors^^ Then if I sell those or save enough I'll get started on one for my sona X3 now if only I knew how to go about making a spider butt :P

Criticism appreciated^^
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Sharkbait★

• Blue Level
  • bee bop to the top
« Reply #699 on: January 17, 2016, 01:52:33 am »
^^^ love the suit, it's very cute!!

-----------------

aAAAAaaah so my suit came in today ; v;

soo happy with it o m g

and here's the link to the unboxing video!!! sorry i look kinda SDFHSFHfds i had only previously woken up and whatnot and my hair and whatnot isn't done up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQWu11vCLM&feature=youtu.be
  • Pride Flag - gay