Author Topic: Convincing parents to let me go to a furry con?  (Read 99 times)

Offline AnubisJackal

• Candy: 1
    • DeviantArt - InkyNugget
    • Twitter - DruggedCashews
  • Fursona Species: Egyptian Jackal
Convincing parents to let me go to a furry con?
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:46:49 am »
I'm in a very stuck area right now. My mom won't let me go to a convention after I showed here the "Fursonas" documentary on Amazon. She claims that the fandom is not appropriate for my age, despite the fact that lots of kids my age and younger are in the fandom. I know she is only trying to look out for me, but the furry fandom is one of my biggest hobbies. I've talked to 2 different counselors and they both agree with my mom, and I've even written an entire 3 page essay on why the furry fandom is good, but I got no such luck in convincing her. I want to try to reach out to other furries at my school to ask if I could ever tag along with them to a convention, or if they would like to go with me, since that may convince my mom.
Other than that, I really don't know what to do. I'm extremely sad because I was originally going to ANW tomorrow but my mom isn't letting me. So now instead of hanging out with other furs, I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow and that's pretty much it (Unless I do some Pokemon UM shiny hunting.)
Please help me spice up my life with the ability to go to furry conventions by giving me tips to convince my mother to let me go,
-Thanks! ~Anubisjackal  :fox-:P:
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Candy: 104
  • profile pic by Rolinho de Canela on DA!
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Great Dane
Re: Convincing parents to let me go to a furry con?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:44:24 pm »
oh shoot I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you're doing a lot of work to make her understand. Maybe showing her the Moms of Furries youtube channel? Those two women are actually hosting events at ANW this weekend. I was almost gonna go to ANW myself but got too busy, sorry that it isn't working out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:37:47 pm by Dolly »
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible

Offline Mystic

• Gay moo
  • Administrator
  • Candy: 870
  • All I want for Christmas is you
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:19 pm »
Like Dolly said maybe try showing her to Moms of Furries content, they've got their YouTube channel and a website. They've got lots of great info and since it's coming from other moms she might be more willing to listen ^^
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Nova

Offline Prequelle

• Blue Level
  • Candy: 83
    • DeviantArt - Jouskadevil
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - Jouskadevil
  • Fursona Species: Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:20 am »
You could try introducing your mom to some adults or other people your age who are furries and have them tell her what the fandom means to them. I would also recommend offering to let her walk around with you in the convention space for a while, to show her what it's like and what you're going to be doing while you are there. You can also acknowledge the more mature parts of furry as something that exists, because it's part of human nature. Like there are some TV that's not for kids some parts of furry is not for kids (and even many adults don't wish to take part in it); and that is OK. Just because some TV isn't appropriate for children doesn't mean it's all inappropriate for them. Make sense?
  • Flag - denmark
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pronouns: he/they/any neutral
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Open Adopts | Avatar by @ElliotEel on Telegram  }

Offline ★ Panda ★

• ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
  • Retired Staff
  • Candy: 676
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:20:44 pm »
Seconding Moms of Furries. They might even be open to talking with her or directing her to further resources.

Also, you could start out by finding a furmeet near you to go to. Since they take place in public spaces, she might be less worried about inappropriate activities. They're also smaller and I'd say a good welcome to the fandom since people are usually willing to talk about their experiences, explain what furry is about, etc. There's a local bowling meet here and there's always parents & outsiders coming up to ask us what's going on since its such a laid-back environment. And of course, they're cheaper/free so that might help too  :fox-;):
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

There’s a thing called love
That we all forget

Offline Flimsy Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candy: 7
    • DeviantArt - FlimsyFox
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:19:53 pm »
Show her your furry friends. Maybe if she sees that there are others like you and YOUR AGE, maybe she will agree. And get as many as you can; the more the merrier.

I'm also going to list a few things that you could do also. The one above I would do first (and was already posted by you), but these could serve as backups just in case. Also, I don't know about your parents, but doing these things all at once would be annoy my parents because they're not furries themselves; that's for you to decide whether it'll annoy your parents.

Try showing them some YouTube videos of furries doing some charity work, creating funny videos (PG if your parents think furries are for perverts, or if you think your parents do), maybe some really nice animations! Just something that shows your parents that furries are normal. Of course, this won't work unless your parents are willing to either see what they think they are going to see, or are willing to be proved wrong.

You could show them the Moms of Furries YouTube channel (as suggested by Dolly). That would be a little closer to home, as your parents would be in kindof the same boat the Moms of Furries were. Showing any channels like this one would be good.

This is a bit dodgy, but your parents might thank you later; You could make it so that your parents "accidentally" discover what the Furry Fandom really is. There are many news outlets, documentaries, and other media that accurately represents the fandom. However, you need to be REALLY smart to pull this off (I haven't even tried this before my parents discovered the Furry Fandom), and even then, your parents would need to take some appreciation for the Furry Fandom (either because they like how it makes you happy or they enjoy it themselves) after they "discover" what it really is.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/him/his

"once you discover one simple fact, and that is everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you, and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use. once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." -Steve Jobs