Author Topic: Gears of War 3 Review (Spoiler-free)  (Read 450 times)

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
Gears of War 3 Review (Spoiler-free)
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:42:05 am »
I happened to receive Gears of War 3 as a gift for my birthday and I wanted to write a review about it. I will be splitting this review into sections based on features and attributes to the game which I deem important. Please feel free to share your opinion of the game as well.

Story

First of all, I must say that Gears of War 3 has made significant improvements to its writing and plot narrative. I had actually expected this ever since I had heard that Karen Traviss was writing Gears of War 3's storyline. Karen Traviss happens to be an author I particularly admire. She has written various books set within various sci-fi franchises such as Star Wars, Halo and Gears of War itself.

The writing for Gears of War 3 is generally less cheesy, the story manages to keep you within suspense and the sense of drama seems to flow better along with the narrative. Gears of War's plot will take you across planet Sera in places you would never have imagined and you will some new faces along the war. Though it did not answer everything I had hoped it would, it reveals some highly inportant secrets about the nature of Gears of War's lore. Story telling in Gears of War 3 is a success and a vast improvement over the previous two games.

Gameplay

Gears of War 3 offers some highly explosive, action-packed and gory gameplay like the previous instalments in the series. It also plays very much much like the previous games. So much, that if I had to highlight the largest flaw Gears of War 3 has. It would be the lack of innovation presented in terms of actual gameplay. It just feels far too similar to previous Gears of War games and does not feel very unique in its own right. Though this will not be such a huge problem for many people considering the quality and popularity of the previous Gears of War games.

That doesn't mean to say that it isn't fun for me as well in fact. It is very fun indeed. It offers at least a 8-10 hour campaign, an arcade mode, Horde mode, Beast mode, an entire armoury of new weapons, an excellent sense of competitive and cooperative gameplay. All of these make the game excel. I would just have like to have seen a little more innovation implemented into the gameplay of Gears of War 3. But hey, if it ain't broke; why fix it, right?

Graphics

Gears of War 3's graphics look fantastic as ever. They are easily some of the highest quality graphics you will find on the Xbox 360. That is not my main praise for Gears of War 3's visuals. The fact that Gears of War 3 has vastly improved its colour pallet over the previous two games is. One of my biggest criticism about the Gears of War series was the fact that it utilised such a limited sense of colours within its games.

In the past, we were often either treated to various shades of grey or brown for trenches and ruins. This is not the case for Gears of War 3, however. We now see larger uses of other colours in backgrounds and scenery. Forest, grassland and even tropical settings are now implemented within the game. It still does not detract from the feeling of a war torn world that the series has always tried to get across. It does however include a sense of innovation in design and makes the game much more interesting.

Audio

From sounds of exploding appendages, to sounds of gun-fire and music. Gears of War does well. The sounds of damaged flesh can cause feelings of pure adrenaline to complete disgust, gun-fire feels more powerful and devastating than ever and the music helps increase both the drama and action within the game. The game also has high quality voice acting for most of the characters.

Conclusion

Gears of War 3 is an epic game to an epic trilogy and exceeds its predecessors in many aspects. It is a game many should consider playing. It will surely bring many hours of gameplay to many types of people. That is if you aren't expecting/hoping for a large amount of change from its predecessors in terms of gameplay. If not, then the sheer amount of game modes, story, audio and graphics will make you fall for it. Final score:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:43:09 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Ganther

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 17
  • Rawr?
    • DeviantArt - FuzzBallGanther
    • FurAffinity - Ganther
    • Twitter - fuzzballganther
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
Re: Gears of War 3 Review (Spoiler-free)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:55:48 am »
Thumbs up! Awesome game, have been playing it all week. Just finished wave 30 of Horde on Insane and were planning to finish tomorrow. Colour palette is definitely improved. There are colours other than brown and every available shade of it. The game still makes me cringe, especially every time I rip somebody's arm off and beat them to death with their own arm, it's brilliant!

And its still a shock that *insert here* is a living organism. Me and a couple of friends talked about it but we weren't serious.

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
Re: Gears of War 3 Review (Spoiler-free)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »
About five years ago I went to a midnight release at Gamestop for a game I knew little about and five years later, went to 2 more midnight releases for 2 sequels, The greatest shooter I ever played ends it's trilogy.
I love Gears, I guess you could say I've been a fan since the beginning. 

Haven't finished the story yet, but I have been playing multiplayer. Gears multiplayer is the best, I love it better then Halo and CoD. You just run and gun but Gears has the cover mechanic so you have to play smart. The new Team Deathmatch is great but I like the classic Warzone better.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak