Author Topic: Games Board Petition (please read first)  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Itami / Suki

• The Darkest Rose in the Whitest Snow
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • I'm in your nightmares, making them reality.
    • DeviantArt - skullzie01
    • FurAffinity - skullzie
    • Twitter - itami19
  • Fursona Species: White Taber (White tiger/tabby)
Games Board Petition (please read first)
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
I really enjoy forum games like Destroy-a-Wish and Post a Fake Fact About The Person Above You but I am saddened because they are posted in the Spam/Testing board which, if you post in too much, you get restricted from posting. I just found this grim fact out today when I was sent a note by the administrators. I have no hate about this and i agree that one should also post in the Discussion boards, but for those of us who like to Socialize, share their views, and have a very good laugh, I think a Game board would be appropriate. If any of the adminitrators feel this is an invalid post, feel free to shut it down and do what you will with my account. Thank you for reading.
Never have i felt so happy. Never have i felt so alive. You are my one and only. I love you Nazia. Forever and always.

Offline Goat angst

• Your crazy ruler
  • Cookies: 114
  • Mmmmm goat angst~
    • DeviantArt - crazymonkey45
    • FurAffinity - crazywolf45
  • Fursona Species: Crazy and spooky goat angst
Re: Games Board Petition (please read first)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:52 pm »
They should add a game board,hopefully they will.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Tacos are the best kind of weapons!

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »
But that's exactly what the Spam Board is for: games and irrelevant sorts of posts. So, no, unless Natasha has another say on it.
A Game Board would be utterly pointless.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:27:51 pm »
Administrative Veto

The reason we limit the number of posts in the Spam board isn't arbitrary.  Our server capacity, while several orders of magnitude greater than what we had years ago, is not infinite, and with the volume of traffic this site gets, we have to carefully control how we use our network capacity.  Forum games are in the Spam board because, for all intents and purposes, they are spam.  They generate a large amount of traffic while contributing nothing of value to the forum community as a whole, so when our network load gets too high (which is "always"), it's hard to justify giving any sort of priority to threads like Word Association, over sections of the site where users are genuinely asking for help and contributing to the site's members.

That said, forum games are undeniably fun, and they're a nice bonus for forum members to have a little fun on the side.  That's why we allow them at all; there've been times in the past when we've completely shut down the Spam board, and before we moved to our current server, it looked like we would have to keep it shut down indefinitely.  No one wants to do that, so there must be balance.  Our current restrictions on the use of the Spam board are actually pretty lax, it takes a LOT to actually lose one's privileges to post there.  I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened in the last year.  The details regarding abusive Spam post rates are here.

So, the idea behind the restrictions is to balance the fun of forum games and other "fluff" posts with the knowledge that these aren't the reason FT exists, and the reality that we do not have infinite network capacity.  The Spam board is a fun bonus for members who are active elsewhere on the site, nothing more, nothing less.  Since forum games are the primary content of the Spam board, and the primary reason for the post restrictions on it, we will not be splitting them to a separate, unrestricted board.

To the OP:  You have every right to suggest this, so nothing's going to happen to your account.  Relax.  If you're concerned about losing post access to the Spam board, either become more active elsewhere on the site, or cut back on your volume of Spam posts.  But unless you'd like to cough up $2500-3500 for a second server (that's what I paid from my own pocket for this one and its software), we will not consider removing the restrictions on the Spam board, or moving the bulk of its threads to any sort of unrestricted Games board.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Itami / Suki

• The Darkest Rose in the Whitest Snow
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • I'm in your nightmares, making them reality.
    • DeviantArt - skullzie01
    • FurAffinity - skullzie
    • Twitter - itami19
  • Fursona Species: White Taber (White tiger/tabby)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
Ah, ok then. I'm not completely tech-savvy, but I know how much data is needed for posts. I did not realize that the server was finite because I have heard of places with infinite (or atleast virtually infinite) databanks and what not. (In fact, I think Neopets is one of those sites.) But thank you for atleast looking at this. I would appreciate it if you would delete this post because I have no clue how.
Never have i felt so happy. Never have i felt so alive. You are my one and only. I love you Nazia. Forever and always.

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:03:03 am »
Nah, we'll keep this thread, in case someone else has the same idea.

As for sites with "infinite capacity", there's no such thing, but web-based companies typically have entire teams dedicated to planning their infrastructure, and the funds to acquire the servers and network connections necessary to support their operation.  Those things aren't free.  As mentioned above, servers are thousands of dollars each, plus hosting costs (minimum of $30-50/month per server).  Companies like Neopets typically have upwards of 20-30 servers, sometimes as many as a hundred.  Companies like Facebook have thousands of servers, and own their own datacenters.  Plus, they have full-time staff to manage all those servers.  But they take in enough money to support all that, because they're for-profit corporations.

FT, on the other hand, is a fully not-for-profit, privately-owned website.  Most sites of our type don't have our traffic volume, because the average person can't afford the necessary infrastructure to support even a fraction of our traffic volume.  Technically, I can't either, but I did it anyway because...umm...I'm sure it made sense at the time.  Unlike FA, we don't even get enough in donations to offset our costs.  So, until I get a better-paying job (and the motivation to throw more money at this), we can't even afford to grow much more than we already have.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:10 am »
FT, on the other hand, is a fully not-for-profit, privately-owned website.  Most sites of our type don't have our traffic volume, because the average person can't afford the necessary infrastructure to support even a fraction of our traffic volume.  Technically, I can't either, but I did it anyway because...umm...I'm sure it made sense at the time.  Unlike FA, we don't even get enough in donations to offset our costs.  So, until I get a better-paying job (and the motivation to throw more money at this), we can't even afford to grow much more than we already have.

Question:
In a case like this, would there ever be a thought about doing what FA did a few years ago, where registration was shut down for a while?
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:39:25 am »

Question:
In a case like this, would there ever be a thought about doing what FA did a few years ago, where registration was shut down for a while?

No.  Unlike FA, we actually have some administration skill driving the site, which is why our ongoing traffic issues have largely been unnoticed by FT's members, versus FA, the site with enough server hardware to power a university but somehow still can't even maintain better uptime than us.  Shutting down new registrations to reduce traffic is a horrible idea, and would only be used as an absolute last resort.  We have a lot of other avenues that can be explored before that, including one that I hope to implement in the next few months that'll make a huge difference in server load.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline qwertyjake

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • im awesome at minecraft
  • Fursona Species: cat
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:52:13 am »
how about deleting really old threads which haven't been touched in a couple of years, that will save some space
  • Site Donor

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:55:47 am »
how about deleting really old threads which haven't been touched in a couple of years, that will save some space

That's come up before, and the issue isn't data, it's traffic.  Each post takes up a few bytes of disk space, at best, but every page load takes upwards of 14-24 database queries and a dozen or two HTTP connections through the firewall.  Those are the real issues.  Removing old threads might indirectly save a tiny amount of traffic, but it would provide no direct benefit and no definite secondary benefits, plus it would cost us a good bit of forum history.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline qwertyjake

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • im awesome at minecraft
  • Fursona Species: cat
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:09 am »
oh ok
  • Site Donor