Author Topic: FT Radio/podcast  (Read 22615 times)

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
Re: FT Radio/podcast
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2008, 04:16:41 pm »
"aye"

...if it's not a problem...
I'll be the M.C i guess.

I think i could fit it into my schedule again.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but what happened to "It's impossible?"

It's impossible for you (Timezone issues and such considering you're about twelve hours ahead of most people)

But for me, as i live on the East Coast of the U.S.A it would be less of a problem.

And i already have scripts and stuff typed up for this type of project.

Yes, it's impossible for me to do live chats and so on, but If i record and send in, that shouldnt be a problem.
  • Flag - original

Offline Seika

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • The Farther Shore
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2008, 04:47:39 pm »
"aye"

...if it's not a problem...
I'll be the M.C i guess.

I think i could fit it into my schedule again.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but what happened to "It's impossible?"

It's impossible for you (Timezone issues and such considering you're about twelve hours ahead of most people)

But for me, as i live on the East Coast of the U.S.A it would be less of a problem.

And i already have scripts and stuff typed up for this type of project.

Yes, it's impossible for me to do live chats and so on, but If i record and send in, that shouldnt be a problem.

And honestly, do you have any experience with being able to develop scripts and such?

I've been writing scripts since i was at least eight, due to the nature of the training I've received in my lifetime.  I have countless public speaking AND leadership projects under my belt.

You need a leader WITH experience to be able to run a project of this sort.

(Not trying to sound stuck up or anything, but it is the truth.)
"Therefore there is not anything which returns to nothing, but all things return dissolved into their elements."

Offline Cymun

• Designated Cheer-Upper
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Two.
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2008, 05:30:41 pm »
I think it'll be easier this time, without deadlines. We'll just have to wait until we get enough audio clips to start. And I don't think we should have anyone in set positions, so we can all stay replaceable.
"There are two types of people: The kind who walk into rooms and turn TV sets on, and the kind who turn them off. The problem is they usually get married." - Raymond Shaw, The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Always here if you need someone to talk to.

While you're reading this, go ahead and read this:
http://www.vincifruit.com/
Vinci & Arty. Maybe not the best, but my favorite.

Offline Jim

• Seadog
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Drunken Irish Husky
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:56 pm »
as an outsider from this thread, i'm just gonna say this guys:

You're making this into an INCREDIBLY complicated project.  You all seem to want to be in charge of it, and continually in the thread it's just been head-but after head-but.  So i'll narrow down the options to sort of filter it for everyone (as in I read this whole thread and ended up being exhausted trying to figure out who wanted what.)

1: Everyone can send in their individual clips, and they can be posted on the last.fm for listening.  if you think people are going to listen to 20 minutes of a podcast at a time, you've got to reconsider.  Go listen to somebody else's podcast for more than 5 minutes and tell me you can endure.  You don't need to be a studio grade producer to run this, and you don't need to script it when going with this option.  it's an extremely simple formula.  Users record clips, send them in, they get posted.

2: You have an MC.  this MC will act as an "editor" as well.  Pretty basic stuff, if something is to quiet, bring up the volume.  if it's too loud, bring it down.  take all the clips together, announce them and add some sort of continuity to the thing.  once again, everything is pre-recorded so all this timezone nonsense means absolutely nothing.  MCing live is such a nightmare in a situation where everyone is in different timezones, with different schedules.

You can switch off MCs, you can just do the clip thing, but i'm going to be totally honest here.  I don't mean to be rude, but what i've witnessed in this thread is a big game of king of the hill.  I believe the clip option is going to work best here because it doesn't hurt, or fuel anybody's ego, and it will immediately diffuse 90% of conflicts with this project because everybody will have their own bits to work on.

So at the risk of sounding like a total jackass as well as contradictory, i'll be the one to say it:
Who is in, and who is out.  Reply with whatever you want but make sure you reply with that answer, it's the only way you're going to get to the next level of this project.  otherwise you can use your time on something else because it'll be wasted in this thread.

Offline Cymun

• Designated Cheer-Upper
  • Orange Level
  • Two.
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:19 pm »
Good. I like these rules.

Jim, great post. You get a cookie.

I think you've got it.

I don't think I can edit, so I guess I'll just contribute clips. Now, we can only have one M.C./Editor, and the Editor part is more important. Because really, M.C.'ing is sort of easy, so we best keep it to one person. Everyone else will have to send in clips.

Ok, all we have to decide is who the MC/Editor will be.

Methinks Nickrak, because he can edit.

Oh, and if I ever did/said anything stupid, I'm sorry.

No offense Xalex, but I don't think we need too much M.C. experience for this, and Nick has the tech down, it seems.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:46:59 pm by Cymun »
"There are two types of people: The kind who walk into rooms and turn TV sets on, and the kind who turn them off. The problem is they usually get married." - Raymond Shaw, The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Offline Seika

• Green Level
  • The Farther Shore
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2008, 12:06:57 am »
Good. I like these rules.

Jim, great post. You get a cookie.

I think you've got it.

I don't think I can edit, so I guess I'll just contribute clips. Now, we can only have one M.C./Editor, and the Editor part is more important. Because really, M.C.'ing is sort of easy, so we best keep it to one person. Everyone else will have to send in clips.

Ok, all we have to decide is who the MC/Editor will be.

Methinks Nickrak, because he can edit.

Oh, and if I ever did/said anything stupid, I'm sorry.

No offense Xalex, but I don't think we need too much M.C. experience for this, and Nick has the tech down, it seems.

None taken mate, Nick hash it down.
"Therefore there is not anything which returns to nothing, but all things return dissolved into their elements."

Offline Cerule Vulpes

• Old oldoldoldold bleh
  • Green Level
  • Lord I am old...
    • Science-Sexual (my tumblr)
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2008, 12:19:49 am »
i guess ill be the grupie?

oh but i do have an idea!! we could ask for questions about the fandom to be sent in and then answere them on the show!! then we could do something to help the fandom out to becouse apperantly alot of people have misconceptions about us =) its like ask a ninja
GENETIC ENGINEERING ahasfdjashdfglwadsjhfg

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2008, 12:40:26 am »
So at the risk of sounding like a total jackass as well as contradictory, i'll be the one to say it:
Who is in, and who is out.  Reply with whatever you want but make sure you reply with that answer, it's the only way you're going to get to the next level of this project.

Not exactly sure what you meant by that, but I definitely want to be a part of this project.

btw, I was never trying to be a leader of this. I'm extremely happy with Xalex as MC. I'll take anything that comes to me, but others are better suited as MC and editor, I think.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:05:48 am by Nox Darkdingo »
  • Flag - original

Offline nickrak

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 9
  • Grey Wolf
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2008, 12:57:34 am »
I'll gladly edit, but I really have no interest in MC'ing...
  • Award - Beta Tester
Permanently Offline

Offline Jim

• Seadog
  • Red Level
  • Drunken Irish Husky
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2008, 01:06:19 am »
editor and MC really should be the same person, but if nobody wants to do both i'll MC.  I've got a home studio set up for vocals so I can just use that.

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2008, 01:09:18 am »
hey Jim, would we only need a microphone, and Audacity? I have both, I'm just wondering. Getting pre-prepared, you know :)
  • Flag - original

Offline Jim

• Seadog
  • Red Level
  • Drunken Irish Husky
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:00 am »
mhm.  Don't worry too much about background noise if you've got a cheap mic though, whoever is editing will remove it.

And Audacity is perfect for anybody who doesn't have any recording software.  the files SHOULD be in .mp3 format recorded at 96-128kbps.  That should be good enough quality without taking up mounds of space.  For anyone who needs it, here is the link to Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2008, 02:20:23 am »
they might need the mp3 exporter plugin though, is that right?
  • Flag - original

Offline Jim

• Seadog
  • Red Level
  • Drunken Irish Husky
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2008, 02:46:31 am »
i think the beta lets you save as an mp3, but if it doesn't then yeah you'll need the plugin.

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2008, 05:35:17 am »
Here is the link for Windows:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

LAME mp3 encoder is the mp3 exporter

I'm sure you can find it for other OS's too.
  • Flag - original

Offline nickrak

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 9
  • Grey Wolf
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2008, 02:09:27 pm »
actually Audacity is available on sourceforge for windows, mac, and linux.

and actually, considering that each segment will only be a few minutes, please submit at least 192kbps @ 44.1kHz MP3
  • Award - Beta Tester
Permanently Offline

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2008, 05:03:53 pm »
Ok, so first, I know someone said we shouldn't have a specific thing to talk about, but still, I have to ask: What are we talking about in the first episode? Are we going to have Segments for each person? (eg, Nox's segment, etc), where we talk about something? I mean obviously we are going to have segments, because that is what we are recording, but will it be like "ok, over to Nox now with his segment"

see what I mean?
  • Flag - original

Offline Cymun

• Designated Cheer-Upper
  • Orange Level
  • Two.
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:18 pm »
Well, I was thinking that if you want a segment in an episode, you record a segment about whatever you want, and send it in. Then the editor decides what is in, and what isn't, removes static/dead space, stuff like that, then gives the order of the clips to the M.C., so they can record transitions. Recordings of the M.C. will be put in between the clips, so they flow. The M.C. will also introduce the episode, and conclude it also, but all of the content will be audio segments sent in by anyone/any group who wants to. The topic will switch in segment to segment. Or, we could ask for audio clips about a certain topic. Of course, the audio clips don't have to be talk sort of things, any sound file interesting enough to put in a podcast would work.

If that doesn't answer your question, could you please state it in a more clear manner?

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2008, 06:59:53 pm »
Nope, that pretty much banged it on the head. When are we going to start making it?
  • Flag - original

Offline Cymun

• Designated Cheer-Upper
  • Orange Level
  • Two.
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2008, 08:46:54 pm »
Well, we need to figure out who is M/Cing, and where to send clips.