Author Topic: FT Radio/podcast  (Read 22101 times)

Offline Itchywolftard

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
FT Radio/podcast
« on: December 07, 2006, 12:25:59 pm »
Well, After a long time last night of talking with kit about his "FTR" Idea we decided to head around town to find some sweet ol' things to jimmy-rig is computer.  Instead we decided to just make a comptuer (FT1) to do all the Streaming and Saving for a radio and a podcast from.  The problem we have now is that neither of us have any real experience on live streaming with audio (or video for that matter)

Right now we have everything we need to do a podcast. But we need a program to do the live streaming (like I said before D: I have a bad habbit of repeating things) So if anyone has any freeware programs (or anything under 20 bucks) that's easy to use, please :D Send a link or just tell the name of it.

Right now I'm looking at something called "Icecast" Though I'm not even sure if that's what we need O.O...  There was something else too.. Like menchora or something, but anywho, Help is REALLY needed XDD. 

Thanks ahead of time.

Offline Para

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • :E
    • art-mafia.net
Re: FT Radio/podcast
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:28:40 pm »
I know nothing about podcasts, but some friends of mine did this thing called "Shoutcast" a few years ago. I think it's a winamp thing.

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:10:49 pm »
http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcasting_Software.html - This might be a good place to start looking into it.

Offline Itchywolftard

• Red Level
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 02:25:54 pm »
http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcasting_Software.html - This might be a good place to start looking into it.

T.T That all seems to be for podcasts though.  As far as I know, we're all set for that, but the live portion is what we're lacking,

We're using Audacity at the moment, or something else if Kit can get the mic/line in to record right.  Our only real problem is finding a place that can do live streaming with out having people connected to our local PC and instead connecting to a different server. 

Just looking around on there incase though :D It looks like a neato place.  Thanks for the link :P

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 02:36:42 pm »
Ah, you want live streaming. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Anyway, here are some more links more specific to that:

http://www.pirateradio.com/
http://www.icecast.org/
http://www.shoutcast.com/
http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/

I'm not sure what type you are looking for but these are among the top choices for internet radio streaming.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:59:42 pm »
I highly recommend a Shoutcast server, it's easy to set up, free, and works with damn near anything.  I've set up Shoutcast servers before, and they're fairly easy to work with.  Simply stream out from Winamp via a plugin, point it at the server, and you have a live feed.  I wouldn't recommend trying to run the server from your home connection, unless you happen to have a personal OC3 line.  Find someone with an actual hosted server somewhere and run it off of there.

Podcasting is a fancy term for "putting an audio recording online for download", and if you want to "Podcast" it, just record your show and have downloadable archives.

And before anyone asks, I can't run your streaming server.  Not because I don't want to, but because I don't have the necessary access to install the software on the server.  If I could, I'd have one up and running by now :-P
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:44:16 pm »
One thing I remember about shoutcast is that it lags a lot. I don't know how well the others keep up in comparison but I know it's annoying to be minutes behind the actual show when other listeners are ahead of you as well.

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:13:08 pm »
What exactly would be on the FT radio?
music?
stories?
debates?
news?

Offline Addycat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 0
  • New FT Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:46:04 pm »
I'm never answering the phone again. D: Kit told me his evil plans.. well.. I guessed and he just said "SHUT UP" and laughed. xD

I'll listen though. XD

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:27:03 pm »
What exactly would be on the FT radio?
music?
stories?
debates?
news?

I would also suggest a general talk radio. If you get the right people and put 'em together, they'll entertain you/themselves for hours.

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:50:41 pm »
Actually, considering that amount of time there is in a week, I highly doubt that 24/7 is feasible. However, if you break it into chunks, you can have lots of anything. I was actually thinking of putting up Asian/Anime/Game music for an hour a day or something like that.

Shouldn't take this too seriously - afterall, it's just for fun. ^_^

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 10:57:49 pm »
well heres some crazy ideas I have for the radio.
so after a day at school/ work you come home and stream the FTR (Furry Teens Radio)
you listen to some furs talk about general things and whatnot, being a fur, extreme furries ex: fursuiters and more mild ones, and how they only had spoiled milk left in the fridge.

then when everyones tired and leaves furry teens members can submit content (such as DJ mixes, songs of their owns etc, or another chatter hour) that you guys can play on the radio.

now here are a few ideas that are really crazy...

storytime!: someone could have prerecorded a storytime session from fanfics to childrens books, to even...
"yiffy" storytime for late night adult insomniacs.

news:also there could be news, talking about events local and national from confurences to small meetups or even conventions not part of the fandom but cool none the less.

topic discussion, a serious in-depth look and debate into the more serious topics of the fandom, dealing with teens growing up, acceptance, and furry pride.

now some even crazier ideas:
fursuit build 101 radio talk class!:
a once a week show on how to build your own fursuit (though I highly doubt that many people on these forums fursuit or even know how to build one)

WILD SAFARI ADVENTURE: where furs go out to the public  to see their thoughts on the fandom or if they have any thoughts at all (could be dangerous)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:17:01 am »
One thing I remember about shoutcast is that it lags a lot. I don't know how well the others keep up in comparison but I know it's annoying to be minutes behind the actual show when other listeners are ahead of you as well.

It really depends on the server hosting it, actually, there are commercially-run Shoutcast servers that are on par with things like Windows Media and Real Player.  And 15-30 seconds of lag is actually a good thing in a live show, gives you some time to prepare for things like incoming calls and such.

Another thing, unless you're just doing music, it'd be a good idea to do pre-recorded shows to start off.  It makes it harder to do call-ins and such, but doing a live show well, even with a full script, is not an easy task.  A good model for a furry talk show would be 2 Sense (www.ranting-gryphon.com), 2's been doing it off and on for ages, and went live with it for a brief period of time.  Set up a timer and make sure your shows run exactly that length of time, no more, no less.

And with a pre-recorded show, as long as the files were reasonably-sized, the archives could be hosted on this server as part of the site.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Itchywolftard

• Red Level
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 01:16:13 am »
Well, It seems I made people think it was going to be a BIG thing.  D: My fault there.  FT Radio at the moment, is only going to be a small 1-2 hour segment every week.  Depending on what service we pick up for a shoutcast server. 

It'll be a furry talk show, more or less with random things popping up from time to time, with maybe a few people on skype and such. 

Our main idea is just to do the live stream and save it while we're doing it, and then Save it for a podcast. 

It's hosted in Kits apartment so it's nothing big at all. 

XD as of now though we're hitting a few snags.  We either go the cheap route and host of our own computers/internet and deal with a 5 minute lag time, or pay money for a server (which is likely what we'll do)

And We just had FT1 crash and burn today T.T  So we had to use the "Big kahuna" to do it.  But we did get it to work on a test run :D so maybe next week it should be up and running for a first run?

Anywho, that's the gist of it, and please feel free, (actually please do just for the sake of more ideas circulating) Post more topics here with questions, ideas or comments.  A general Idea of how many people would actually listen in would be great to know :P

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 09:14:05 am »
I love 2, he's a genius. :P

Well, It seems I made people think it was going to be a BIG thing.  D: My fault there.  FT Radio at the moment, is only going to be a small 1-2 hour segment every week.  Depending on what service we pick up for a shoutcast server. 

What Daimajin thought up was really awesome, but I get where you're coming from. Even if this does make it big, it's a good idea to start off slow.

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 06:10:20 pm »
yea, much better to start off small, many times when I haven't done that and paid the price :(

"OOOO! SPACE MARINES COOL!!!" *buy* *buy* *buy* *buy* *buy* "? I have to paint them WTF?!" *buy* *buy* *buy* *buy*"Whew!, now there all painted, wait they need textured bases WTF!?" *buy* *buy* "NOW they are painted and have bases, WTF!? THIS IS RULEBOOK BIGGER THAN THE FUCKING BIBLE!!!!" *buy* *Read* *Read* *Read* *Read* *Read* "..." *Read* *Read* "OKAY I HAVE PAINTED THEM MADE THEIR FUCKING BASES AND READ THE RULEBOOK (mostly) NOW I CAN PLAY, hold on... space marines suck!"
*buy* *buy* *buy* *buy* *buy* "ELDAR ROCKZORS!!!, ULTHWE PWNAGE, hold on... Eldar are pussies" *buy* *buy**buy**buy**buy* *buy* "TYRANIDS ARE TEH BEST!!!!!...how come all my Nid's got killed before I could even assualt those stationary Necron bastards?!!!, Nid's suck!, I'm not playing this game ever again!" *5 months later* "oh wow! big campaign, ULTHWE MAKE A COMEBACK!!" *fun* *fun* *fun* *fun* "... now this isnt that fun, Eldar are more weak than ever." *6 months later* "OOOOO!! new rulebook, time to make a comeback! SLAANESH IS GOD! YEA!" *suddenly gave up when school started*, *months later* "WAAAAAAAAAGH ORK SPEEDFREAKZ ARE GOING TO DO IT FOR ME!!!!,... NVM i give up."
Did I mention I often quit things?

heres something I just made, it's a bit sloppy, the tail is supposed to be of a red panda, thats are mascot now right?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 06:15:13 pm by Daimajin »

Offline Kit Wolf

• FT Founder
  • Candies: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 08:22:22 pm »
http://s7.viastreaming.net/7690/

we are running a test of the server tune in now!

7:20pm Central playing currently until 9pm central hopefully.

PLEASE go into the IRC channel, I will be wanting suggestions and I will do shoutouts from there...........HELP i'm dying out here on the radio.

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 10:51:17 pm »
SEXY ENGRISH!

this is funny as hell. :lol:

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 11:02:17 pm »
SEXY ENGRIIIISHU <3

Offline Kit Wolf

• FT Founder
  • Candies: 11
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 01:52:40 pm »
FTR INFORMATION
THIS WILL BE POSTED TO FT'S MAIN SITE SOON!

What?
Furry Teens Radio (FTR) is brought to you by Furry Teens Group. It is a 3 hour weekly streaming internet radio broadcast. The show revolves around audience interaction, audio submissions, video submissions with audio suitable for radio, free topic discussion and news all focused and themed around the Anthropomorphic (Furry) Fandom.

Who?
Kit Wolf and itchywolftard Plus some Friends

When?
FTR will be a 3 hour show starting at
7pm - 10pm Central time
8pm - 11pm Eastern time

It will air on Fridays weekly.

Where?
You can access the stream by going to the URL:
http://s7.viastreaming.net/7690/

Interaction...

by IRC CHANNEL (For Additional Info click on FT on IRC)
Server: irc.furnet.org:6667
Channel #furryteens

by E-Mail: FurryTeensRadio@gmail.com

by Skype ID: FurryTeensRadio

Schedule?
The construction of FTR will be as follows:
(Rough layout times may vary.)
All Times Central.

7:00pm - Sign On Introduction / News
7:30pm - News / Music
8:00pm - Music / Discussion / Skype?
8:30pm - Music / Discussion / Skype