Author Topic: Downtime - December 8, 2011  (Read 671 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Downtime - December 8, 2011
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »
As of now, our server has been up and down for almost six hours, mostly down.  This is due to a network issue with our data center, which has been ongoing for this long.  As I type this, I'm not even sure whether it will post when I'm finished.  Unfortunately, since the problem is beyond the scope of our server, there's nothing I can do about it except wait for it to be fixed.

So, while the site is currently up, PLEASE be gentle until this is all fixed.  Go play a game or something, we'll still be here tomorrow, I promise.

I'm also in the process of looking for a new data center for our server to live in.  It'll mean a few days of downtime while we move, but these reliability issues are beyond ridiculous.  I'll keep everyone posted when such a move happens.

If you're not already following lupinia_status on Twitter, I strongly recommend you do so, it's our server status feed.  And if you don't use Twitter, bookmark it, or subscribe to it in an RSS reader.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Re: Downtime - December 8, 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »
Hahaha oh my god, I got THE rudest error message. I was scared, made it seem like it was just me...

But yeah. glad stuff is back up now  :)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:17 pm »
For a moment, I thought life as I knew it was over. :(

Hopefully, now that the site is back up, things will stablize. And while it will suck to lose the site for a few days, if you move, the future of the site is more important than those days.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:17:52 am »
*embarassed look* I can't apologize enough for the rather offensive error page some of y'all saw, it was absolutely not my intention.  There's an explanation, but it basically comes down to me making a stupid mistake during all this.

See, when the problems first started, I could only access the server for very brief periods, and I wasn't aware that it was a network issue.  In the process of trying to diagnose the problem, I pulled up the live connections screen, and saw a huge amount of HTTP traffic.  Suspecting an attack, I used the firewall to cut off all HTTP traffic, and as the firewall rule changed, the network connection went down again, not returning for quite some time.  But, I figured if it did come back, people would simply see a normal Microsoft error page, because there's only one I've customized, and it shouldn't apply to something like this.

As luck would have it, disabling the HTTP Server rule in the firewall didn't cause it to return the "No available listener" or "Server not found" error messages it logically should.  After all, nothing's being explicitly denied, it's simply turned off, as if the server was completely down.  Turns out that's not how it works, and when the server came back up, it used the "Resource Denied" error, which technically is only supposed to be used for the "Banned" firewall rule (explicitly denies all server access to IPs or subnets in a specified group).  Because it's only supposed to be visible when triggered by that firewall rule, and that rule exists specifically for server-banned IPs, I customized it to be a bit, umm, antagonistic.  Since I was busy with other things, I didn't realize this until y'all mentioned it just now.

I'm sorry :-(
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:20:43 am »

No excuses! Your server was mean, and I am telling Santa.
You'll get coal for this!
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor