Author Topic: /server irc.furnet.org  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Ecklestein

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 16
/server irc.furnet.org
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
Do people still use the chat room at all? How active is it? I was going to join it, but I need to download the IRC programmes and I don't want to go through setting stuff up if it's not active/no one uses it. :3 Thanks. If so, user names, etc?

Edit: If you don't know what I'm on about - http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=3120.0

Offline NamelessNeko

• Rockets Fall On Rocket Falls
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
Re: /server irc.furnet.org
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »
Bump, was also wondering this. The server banned web clients like Mibbit so it'd be handy to know also! c:

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:16:59 pm »
Bump, was also wondering this. The server banned web clients like Mibbit so it'd be handy to know also! c:

Really?  I'll have to investigate that, we may have to change servers if that's the case.  Thanks for the info.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Atte

• Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 9
  • Fursona Species: Eurasian Lynx
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »
Furnet has severely limited web client usage, only allowing web clients under certain rules.

If a network change were to take place, I'd highly recommend an open poll on the forums to decide which network the channel would be moved to. This way we would be able to use a network that most members already frequent, and thus lessen the effort needed to join, increasing channel activity. Networks I would avoid are IRCnet and EFnet due to their sometimes questionable reputation and limited availability on certain shell providers. QuakeNet I have no other reason to avoid than a personal dislike towards the network and the way it's set up and run.

While I do agree I haven't been active on the forums, I do watch over the IRC channel and have a client instance there 24/7. I'd be more than happy to continue as the channel administrator despite my apparent inactivity here on the forums.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
Well, in terms of activity, I honestly don't think the IRC room is active anymore (I think the most "active" users on the channel aren't even from this forum, but I'm not 100% sure about that). However, that's just because it's not getting very much promotion.

Perhaps switching servers (furnet is -okay- I guess, but not for webclients) could help the chat gain some activity, so flash-based clients will be allowed.

Or we could stay on furnet and use a web-based client that furnet recommends (such as PJIRC).

Honestly though, I'd rather have the room on a network like Anthrochat, since their policies overall are less strict, and the IRCOps mind their own business instead of trying to moderate and control other people's channels (usually only a problem with larger channels, but if we ever start promoting the chat with a link to a web based way to connect, I imagine this channel could be very large).

If we are to use a web based client to introduce novice users to IRC, I suggest that we either use what anthrochat has already provided or embed CGI:IRC, PJIRC, or some other web based client into the website. Also, we should promote users to use standalone clients like xchat (and xchat-wdk for windows users), mirc, or even browser extensions like ChatZilla (though it can run as a standalone client with XULRunner), as using a client is by far the best way to use IRC.

Just my suggestion. Anyone have feedback on my idea for switching to AnthroChat?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:04:16 pm by Saucy_Fox »

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »
We won't be embedding a Java applet on the site.  My current plan is to set up a page with Mibbit embedded, which can only be accessed by logged-in users, to prevent abuse.  I've used and deployed it before, it's a pretty robust and well-written client.  So, if Furnet blocks Mibbit, we'll have to change servers, unless someone can suggest a different web client that works on Furnet and doesn't require Java.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline ArtiLove

• Green Level
  • Candies: 55
  • Oh lo lo do I love you.
    • Twitter - SuperArtiLove
  • Fursona Species: Arctic River Otter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
I use to chat on the website, Meebo, but they shut down their rooms because lack of use by its members.  It made me very very sad because it was Meebo that introduced me to being furry.  I wish I could use some of these chat rooms without having to download the stuff needed to use them.  It is just very confusing to an internet/computer idiot like myself.

XP
Remember that smile, the one you wore with such beauty and grace?  Where has it gone?  What has happened to put you in this miserable, lonely place?  Smile for me, even it may be the last time I see.  A picture I will take not for myself, no. A picture for the entire world to embrace the happiness you once shared with me.  Just smile...

Offline Atte

• Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 9
  • Fursona Species: Eurasian Lynx
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:02:30 am »
We won't be embedding a Java applet on the site.  My current plan is to set up a page with Mibbit embedded, which can only be accessed by logged-in users, to prevent abuse.  I've used and deployed it before, it's a pretty robust and well-written client.  So, if Furnet blocks Mibbit, we'll have to change servers, unless someone can suggest a different web client that works on Furnet and doesn't require Java.
Quote from: Furnet Web Client Policy
The client must have a fixed ident that makes it possible for IRCOps to identify the site from which the users are connecting.
The real name field must be set to the user's login name on the site, or if this is not possible, the URL of the web client.
The client must be locked down to only permit chat within a single fixed channel related to the site.
Private messages are permitted.
WHOIS, CTCPs (including ping), listing and joining other channels must be disabled.
Furnet administration must be notified via the contact form before the client is made available on your site.

If you want to run a private CGI-based IRC gateway, it must be locked down by username and password, and Furnet administration must be notified before such a client is permitted on the network - for your safety, and ours.
So their primary concern seems to be having a way to identify both the site the client is embedded on, and the user controlling each session. Should be quite easy to implement.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His