Author Topic: Account Purge/Cleanup (Don't Panic)  (Read 547 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Account Purge/Cleanup (Don't Panic)
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:29:12 am »
This doesn't really affect anyone who'll read this, but I wanted to make a note of it for anyone who might stumble by.  In preparation for the move to our new hosting account, and to clean up our bulk email traffic a bit, I went through the account list and purged abandoned accounts.  The definition of "abandoned" has changed a bit since the last time I did this, so for reference, the only deleted accounts fit ALL of these criteria:

-Has not logged in for more than 30 days
-Has never posted, not even a deleted post
-Account isn't being preserved for disciplinary purposes (trolls who weren't caught as soon as they registered)
-Account isn't being preserved for archival purposes (notable members who don't have posts associated with their account, possibly due to past data loss)

The difference from my previous account purges is that I used set the last login cut-off at a year or more, but I shortened it significantly.  The reason for this is because, with rare exceptions, anyone who's never been active before and leaves for more than a few weeks isn't going to suddenly start posting months or years later.  And if they do, they usually create a new account to do it, which triggers the Multiple Accounts ban (seriously, does no one read the rules when they sign up?), which is a whole other mess.

I'll probably do this more often in the future.  For the statistically-curious, I deleted close to 500 accounts this morning.

If you're a guest or lurker, please note:  We have nothing against lurkers, you're not required to post anything if you create an account here.  However, if you've never posted AND you don't log in for more than 30 days, your account could be deleted.

To everyone else:  If you've ever posted here, even just once, you never, ever have to worry about your account being deleted, because we never delete accounts that have posts associated with them.  For any reason. 
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3