Author Topic: Japanese names  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
Japanese names
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:34:16 pm »
seems like a lot of people's fursonas here have Japanese names (mine included) why do we all get these names? I actually took the name from an old monster movie called DAIMAJIN(大魔神) ( (japanese equivalent to the golem) and I took it as my DJ alias and then as my Fursona's name.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:19:50 pm by Daimajin »

Offline Ibun

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • With me whack fol the do fol the diddlely idle ay
    • DeviantArt
Re: Japanese names
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:46:26 pm »
Because people think they are "cool" and "original" for liking things from Japan. What they fail to realize is that it is just as trendy to like popular things in Japan as it is to like popular things in America.
:staffedit-sig:

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:55:05 pm »
Okami Yamabushi (狼山伏) - To be honest, this isn't really a name, but it was partly chosen for that reason. Similar to say, "John Smith". The story behind why I'm using it is something I will probably never tell.

Anyway, the meanings behind it:

Okami - Japanese for Wolf
Yamabushi - Out of all the available last names at the time for Second Life, I went with one that could be related to my fursona (and in part, to me). In the end, I chose this - it's just stuck since then. A short description of the Yamabushi can be found here.

Because people think they are "cool" and "original" for liking things from Japan. What they fail to realize is that it is just as trendy to like popular things in Japan as it is to like popular things in America.

Heh, I didn't do that because I thought it was "cool" or "original". I did it because I really love the culture/history/etc. there and this was just my way of showing it. ^_^

(On a side-note, I am actually trying to learn Japanese as well. Although, self-teaching is ridiculously difficult. *lol*)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:51:54 pm by Okami »

Offline CoffeeCat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • New FT Member
    • My music :3
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 06:32:35 pm »
XD I'm Japanese for real and I think it's just charming that people are picking up Japanese names X3 Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, ne~?
Every day is Caturday~!!!

Offline Mix Tags

• Green Level
  • Candies: 14
  • *gasp* A BLUE WOLF!!! wait, that's me. ^_^''
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »
Hey, my name isn't Japanese.
It's a verb and a noun, in plural form.
Mix: verb
Tags: noun
"The ones who care for you are always standing off to the side, waiting to catch you when you fall." ~Kai

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mixtags/ <--my art gallery

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:51:32 pm »
I'm getting sick of the Japanese names, just like I'm getting sick of wolves. I hate how Japanese culture seems to be taking over American youth.Shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are getting kids hooked on Japanese animation early, and then when they get sucked into anime and manga it's no wonder that they choose Japanese names and speak Japanese phrases like it's the coolest thing in the world. Personally, I don't see what's so great about the Japanese. They have some nice cartoons and comics, but so do most nations. I'm much more fond of Germany and France.

As a side note, if my name was Japanese it would be Tajirogu Ferrekkusu. Unfortunately I was also sucked into the Japanese mind machine for about a year >.>

Do you realize how easy it would be for Japan to take over our country by brainwashing kids with anime? After all, most of the popular cartoons these days are Japanese.
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Mix Tags

• Green Level
  • Candies: 14
  • *gasp* A BLUE WOLF!!! wait, that's me. ^_^''
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:56:22 pm »
Do you realize how easy it would be for Japan to take over our country by brainwashing kids with anime?

I think it would be almost too easy, just like your domination of the wolven race.
"The ones who care for you are always standing off to the side, waiting to catch you when you fall." ~Kai

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mixtags/ <--my art gallery

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:03:25 pm »
I have to agree with yeh there Flinch, I'm tempted to type my own wee rant, but my literary skills aint as good as yours and it'll prolly pul the thread of topic...

Personally, I've never really fancied a Japanese name, they just don't appeal to me, but then my fursona and roleplay characters tend to be British...

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:10:25 pm »
I'm getting sick of the Japanese names, just like I'm getting sick of wolves. I hate how Japanese culture seems to be taking over American youth.Shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are getting kids hooked on Japanese animation early, and then when they get sucked into anime and manga it's no wonder that they choose Japanese names and speak Japanese phrases like it's the coolest thing in the world. Personally, I don't see what's so great about the Japanese. They have some nice cartoons and comics, but so do most nations. I'm much more fond of Germany and France.

As a side note, if my name was Japanese it would be Tajirogu Ferrekkusu. Unfortunately I was also sucked into the Japanese mind machine for about a year >.>

Do you realize how easy it would be for Japan to take over our country by brainwashing kids with anime? After all, most of the popular cartoons these days are Japanese.

Well, I'm Chinese to start, so the leap to Japanese culture for me isn't that extreme. In my heritage, my family has actually gone from China -> Japan -> Taiwan -> Canada/US. The majority of the family is still in Taiwan and China though.

As for the European nations, I'm partial to Italy and Greece for the same reasons I admire Japan; however, it is easier for me to relate to Japan than it is for me to relate to any of the European nations.

Anyway, the question you should be asking is: Why is the stuff coming from Japan so popular?

Obviously, they must be doing something right. Did you also consider that without the Japanese, the American car industry would never have achieved the level it has today? (as one example)

You're focusing too much on the entertainment side of things.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:28:10 pm by Okami »

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:36:22 pm »
Yes, I am focusing on entertainment because I feel the Japanese names have more to do with the popular TV shows of today than the cars we have.

And the Germans have nice cars, too :p
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Para

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • :E
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 09:44:40 pm »

A-freakin'-men.

I think Japan iis genius in their videogames and animation, but the obsession that people have for it is getting on my nerves. The only thing half of these people know about Japan is what they learned from Americanized anime (where they CHANGE all the puns and themes instead of keeping them how they were intended to be). Again, I love anime, but I don't want to be AZN because my favorite character happens to be Japanese. :|

Offline Aerion

• The local mellow, game-playing, daydreaming, philosophical wolf-boy
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 43
  • Remaining lives: 1
    • My scrap book of ideas and misc. (feel free to post)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »
I truly have no idea what language my name is seing as it just came to mind out of thin air (after a looong time thinking of course, my brain is slow :wuf-;):)

Personally I think Japenese names have a nice sound, but I agree there's a bit too many of them.
A point I don't think any of you made is that some people choose japanese sounding names too "fit in", but the points already made is more common.
And I gotta agree with liking Germany, gotta love a country that uses single words for what most countries use a whole sentence (I can't give examples though, I failed German)
"Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride""
"Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead"
"Invoke not common sense, for it is not common"
"A life without joy is a wasted one, and you got but one to waste."
"To touch the clouds, you need to reach for the stars"
Fantasy games are for n00bs, try playing a game about reality

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 09:50:37 pm »
I personally don't like the idea of making up a Japanese-sounding name, which seems to be most common in pseudo-furry anime fanatics these days. However, some Japanese names (and I mean REAL Japanese names, not BS like "HIMATAKIA MUNIDISHITUKE") I find really pretty. My favorite has to be "Hikari" (I think it means "light" but it's nice anyway).

I don't mean to offend anyone, I hope I didn't. :/ I just get irritated by all the Japanese neopet-obsessed preteen fangirls and their KAWAII DESU-ness.

I think it goes without saying that "Paradraik," "Punkdawg," or any of my aliases aren't the least bit Japanese.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:52:21 pm by Para »

Offline Ibun

• Red Level
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 10:16:20 pm »
I get annoyed by the stupid j-pop fans who make a huge deal out that Dir en Grey is coming to America despite the fact that they are no different than the boy bands of the US. :\

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 11:01:40 pm »
I think Japanese names have a cool sound, but personally, I think they're WAY too overdone on this forum.  To the point that I have a hard time telling the difference between a lot of you.  I went through the member list and was astonished to find that Aikho Ursidae, Ayazel Fei Kaiomi, Kimouru_Hasagara, Nanaku Chizure Shytano-Teishan, and Mori Atanamir are not the same person o.O

Granted, I'm not a fan of American culture either, but I latched onto a rather mysterious country that most folks never really think about:  Russia.  Hence, my SL usernames (where I was forced to pick from their list of surnames) are Felix Uritsky (Филикс Уритский) and Natasha Petrichor (Наташа Петрихор).  And Russian letters can actually be typed without wearing out my function modifier keys :-P
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 11:06:28 pm »
I get annoyed by the stupid j-pop fans who make a huge deal out that Dir en Grey is coming to America despite the fact that they are no different than the boy bands of the US. :\

BUT THEI HAV KOOL HAIR!!!!1`

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 11:17:13 pm »
wow.

lots of hate and love in the room

time for

DRAMA!

I'm getting sick of the Japanese names, just like I'm getting sick of wolves. I hate how Japanese culture seems to be taking over American youth.Shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are getting kids hooked on Japanese animation early, and then when they get sucked into anime and manga it's no wonder that they choose Japanese names and speak Japanese phrases like it's the coolest thing in the world. Personally, I don't see what's so great about the Japanese.

well Flinch do you know what I think got me started in the Furry fandom?
Digimon
not Pokemon
but Digimon
Digimon stuck to me like a magnet, and later during pubescence love for the anime and sexual beggings led to this equasion
Digimon (season 3)+puberty+anthrodigimon (renamon! :fox-;):)+impressionable mind=FUR
so while some of you really liked the disney movies and stuff, I watched the digimon.
and not only that but Japan has supplied me with games, media, and other stuff which I have adored and admired for my life.
if you asked me "where would you go anywhere in the world?" i would of course say "TEH LAND OF THE RISING SUNNNNNNNN!!!!"
and yes, it is a little odd people say its not a heaven on earth but I just love it for its idea.
so Japan has been a huge influence on my life, as I hope it did to others but one gift which i put above all others is the pun...

Herro

J-pop is silly

Offline Para

• Orange Level
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 11:19:53 pm »
Heh. I loved Digimon when I was little, and I loved it again I watched it in Japanese. I hope I didn't sound too hateful. :/

Japan also has cool toys and since I'm a stuffed animal-crackwhore I would like to go there to grab myself a few furry blobs.

And yes I still love Pokemon. :O
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:22:39 pm by Para »

Offline Ibun

• Red Level
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 11:27:41 pm »

BUT THEI HAV KOOL HAIR!!!!1`
The 80s called. They want their looks back.

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 11:31:37 pm »
I'm so lucky  :D

I was never in the 80's