Author Topic: Japanese names  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Princess Rei

• FT Founder
  • Candies: 48
Re: Japanese names
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 11:50:55 pm »
I took japanese [language] class for 3 years.  What drove me to take it was the obssession of Japanese-related things.

When I was taking the class, I learned to appreciate the Japanese culture and aspects as a culture itself.  Hence I began to dislike hardcore "wannabe" Japanese people.  There was a white girl who did everything Japanese, and she taught me that it looked silly to think you're Japanese when you're not.

I can understand if people want to learn the language to learn a "cool" language.  Japanese is very interesting and difficult to learn, and in doing that (like in every other language as well) you are still being educated in another culture.  I just wish that people wouldn't learn Japanese from Anime, thinking they are good at it, then becoming obsessive from that.

As for Japanese names, I can agree that my name is simply translated to Japanese characters, but as stated it is one of those names that lacks a true meaning.  Though its the reason I keep those names are what I hold close to me.

Offline antiguine

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Haiku Slamm'd!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 02:18:45 am »
I think that we sort of take an interest in it because it is so different a culture to our own, as is fantasy and science-fiction. Japan's influence on the west is hardly noticeable, and it seems an attractive idea to us. As for learning Japanese, it is  a challenge (hell, what language isn't?) Eastern languages are so hard to understand.
"Don't eat my chicken wings!"

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 07:16:28 am »
Actually, English is in fact one of the most difficult languages to learn. A friend who was leaning Japanese once said that actually learning to speak the language aint much more difficult than German or French (because of my couse accent I really struggle with the latter). Actually reading the language however is menat to be difficult. Russian is a nasty one apparently as it's foundations are unique to it.

If you want a brain spasm, try Welsh. It's the oldest spoken language in the world, dating back to pre-roman time and is thus rather unique. There is a place in Wales called 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llandysiliogogogoch'.

Don't ask me how it pronounced...

Offline fangluva

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 07:36:35 am »
I find it annoying how often Japanese sounding names and slang are used, but hey, their call.
Burning Sheep Productions

Offline Lynsey

• Alba gu Bráth!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 62
  • Your point is?
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 08:52:13 am »
It's like so many wannabe's who believe they are japanese it just bugs me. We need people to just have names they like and not names so they fit in. My name is my real life name and it's Scottish and I am proud of that I do not need to have a Japanese name to be "cool" because I don't care and when I RP my characters name is Lucia which I believe in Greek for "Little Light" so... that's that. Less of the fanboy complex people. ^.^

Alba gu bráth!
PouncedAd

Offline Ibun

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • With me whack fol the do fol the diddlely idle ay
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 08:53:04 am »
KAWAII DESU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =o^_^o=
:staffedit-sig:

Offline Princess Rei

• FT Founder
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 12:32:37 pm »
'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llandysiliogogogoch'.

=O ...

Offline Mix Tags

• Green Level
  • Candies: 14
  • *gasp* A BLUE WOLF!!! wait, that's me. ^_^''
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 12:40:43 pm »
O.O that's certainly hard to pronounce.
"The ones who care for you are always standing off to the side, waiting to catch you when you fall." ~Kai

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mixtags/ <--my art gallery

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 04:59:25 pm »
yes, what do you guys think is the hardest Japanese name to pronouce on these forums?

Daimajin (Die-Ma-Jin)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 05:24:01 pm »
Actually, English is in fact one of the most difficult languages to learn. A friend who was leaning Japanese once said that actually learning to speak the language aint much more difficult than German or French (because of my couse accent I really struggle with the latter). Actually reading the language however is menat to be difficult. Russian is a nasty one apparently as it's foundations are unique to it.

Russian isn't that bad, its constructions are far simple than Latin-based languages, in my opinion.  And many of its words are extremely similar to those of English, especially when it comes to modern things/ideas.  It is pretty unique, though, it's an odd blend of Greek and Hebrew, with a dash of Germanic origins.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline CoffeeCat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • New FT Member
    • My music :3
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 06:53:07 pm »
XD Everybody wants to be something they're not. I mean, I'm Japanese-American, but whenever I sing or recite my poetry, I do it with a very fake British accent. Why? Because I think they're sexy and cute. There's just something in America nowadays that thinks that Japan is the hottest of the exotic-ness, it's a nice place, but people just hype it into a frenzy. XD
Every day is Caturday~!!!

Offline Ibun

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • With me whack fol the do fol the diddlely idle ay
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 07:05:39 pm »
XD Everybody wants to be something they're not.
I think being a walking, talking animal pretty much covers that.
:staffedit-sig:

Offline Princess Rei

• FT Founder
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 07:13:07 pm »
yes, what do you guys think is the hardest Japanese name to pronouce on these forums?

None.

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 07:17:52 pm »
well Flinch do you know what I think got me started in the Furry fandom?
Digimon

That's nice. But if you're a real fur you would have found out about furries eventually anyways.

I just think it's a shame that people can't just be proud of their own heritage rather than trying to absorb someone else's.
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline CoffeeCat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • New FT Member
    • My music :3
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 07:57:55 pm »

None.

I'm sure if I changed my name to "Karaoke" just about nobody would be able to prounounce it right XD

OMG I JUS LUV KARIOKI

:3
Every day is Caturday~!!!

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 08:40:03 pm »
I always said it kah-ray-oh-kay, but whatever
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Aerion

• The local mellow, game-playing, daydreaming, philosophical wolf-boy
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 43
  • Remaining lives: 1
    • My scrap book of ideas and misc. (feel free to post)
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2006, 08:51:29 pm »
hmm, kah-rah-ooh-kee?
"Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride""
"Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead"
"Invoke not common sense, for it is not common"
"A life without joy is a wasted one, and you got but one to waste."
"To touch the clouds, you need to reach for the stars"
Fantasy games are for n00bs, try playing a game about reality

Offline Princess Rei

• FT Founder
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 10:36:35 pm »
I know how to pronounce Karaoke, yet I'm darn proud to be American, so I continue to pronounce it the slaughtered way.

Offline Para

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • :E
    • art-mafia.net
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:13 pm »
Americanized versions of words are fine, whether they be Japanese, French, or based on any other language. I don't like when people who think they know everything about a language get upset over something that others have done for years.

Though, I fully understand their concerns about people trying to speak the language with crazy American accents. Karaoke doesn't cut it though. :P

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2006, 05:19:53 am »
Interestingly Japan has become facinated with western culture and their going the opposite way we are. It's a culture swap!  :lol-fox: