Author Topic: The Catcher in the Rye  (Read 584 times)

Offline Ecklestein

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 16
The Catcher in the Rye
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »
Personally, I think it's an awesome book - yet I'm terrible at explaining things.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqfThmVIIAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnQ-wOPGUE

Although, they only give away the main plot line, still, don't click if you don't want the main plot line ruined! But, it analyses and goes over themes, and the analytics's of it is basically why I love it because there's so much locked away behind the text.

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
Re: The Catcher in the Rye
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 02:44:07 am »
I need to read that one.
I was supposed to, for an english class, but every other year, we did nothing with the 'summer reading books', so I blew it off.
Luckily, that was right before I left that school, so I dodged a bullet, by not having to do the project with it. :P
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Ecklestein

• Orange Level
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 04:09:20 am »
You should, it's a good book! But I agree, some school books are so boring - but I guess it's down to personal preference.

Offline Cayne

• Red Mage
  • Green Level
  • Screw logic
    • DeviantArt - cayne-yoshimura
    • FurAffinity - cayne_yoshimura
  • Fursona Species: German Shusky
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 12:04:07 am »
Hmm... I'll have to consider reading it later  :o
The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship. ~ Sir Francis Drake
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. Your not scared. Your an asshole. ~ Morgan Freeman

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »
Kind of necro-posting but I recently read this and would like to give my input.

It's a book that you love to hate.  Or hate to love? ...

Story is about a teenage boy who is trying to find his way in the world. He suffers from depression and other mental problems. The whole time, the reader just wants to go up to Holden, punch him in the face and say "SUCK IT UP DAMMIT. LIFE ISN'T THAT BAD".   God I wanted to do this the whole entire book.

But then I thought about it. I complain a lot. I'm a teen. I try to find places where I want to fit in.    Holden represents the modern teenager. He has real problems. He's not some super amazing person who can beat every obstacle that comes into his way. It's so down to earth and real.

And the symbolism is great. They represent the themes of the book quite well. Holden just wants to fit in and be his own person. The title of the book also has its own deep meaning.

Holden goes through a life changing journey over the course of three days that make him realize that his dreams in life will never happen. He learns that shit will happen, and you just have to deal with it. Life is life. So true.