Author Topic: How do you picture your furry friends?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
How do you picture your furry friends?
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »
Just a random thing I was thinking about...

How do you picture your [online] furry friends when talking to them or whatever? Do you see their fursona? Or do you have a made-up IRL picture of them in your head? And if/when you do see or meet them IRL, does this change anything?

For me, I guess it's a little of both. If someone's personality is really prevalent through text, then I'll usually have an IRL image of them in my head. Otherwise, it's their fursona.
[I hope this topic doesn't make me sound like too much of a creeper, hahaha]
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Cayne

• Red Mage
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 16
  • Screw logic
    • DeviantArt - cayne-yoshimura
    • FurAffinity - cayne_yoshimura
  • Fursona Species: German Shusky
Re: How do you picture your furry friends?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:56:49 pm »
I'm basicly the same. If I know them real well I'll create some kind of mental image of them but until then it's their fursona.
The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship. ~ Sir Francis Drake
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. Your not scared. Your an asshole. ~ Morgan Freeman

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »
I seem to vary. If I know what they look like RL, I imagine that.

My imagination is not the best, so imagining them as a furry is difficult. However, if I happen to roleplay, I can picture their fursona (and sometimes human form too).

And on the few that I've been able to meet RL, I can kind of see their fursona in them too.

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »
And on the few that I've been able to meet RL, I can kind of see their fursona in them too.

Reminds me of those comparison memes you see everywhere on FA now...some people look EXACTLY like their fursona. I think that's cool =]
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »
I have a bad habit of picturing you guys and other furries looking like your fursona. Not as an anthro but a human version of your sona. After meeting some furs IRL I need to realize that most furs didn't design their fursona based on their physical appearance like I did.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:11:29 pm »
I have a bad habit of picturing you guys and other furries looking like your fursona. Not as an anthro but a human version of your sona. After meeting some furs IRL I need to realize that most furs didn't design their fursona based on their physical appearance like I did.

Waaah! I did that too 8D I'm even picky about body type, breast size, etc. when she's drawn. ESPECIALLY her hair. My favorite pieces are the ones where she has my trademark pigtails.
It actually bugs me when people don't? And I mean really, really off. I guess that makes me a terrible person but that's okay =P
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »
If I know what they look like IRL I usually see them like that. But if not it usually is their fursona.

EDIT: I did make Sleek's build off what I really was like but my body gotten fatter since I made him and Sleek stays the same. Other than that my fursona is based off of me by personality, not physically.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:27:26 pm by Sleek The Derpsky »
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Cayne

• Red Mage
  • Green Level
  • Screw logic
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:50 pm »
Waaah! I did that too 8D I'm even picky about body type, breast size, etc. when she's drawn. ESPECIALLY her hair.
I'm a bit picky about that myself... my sona's usual hair style is my usual hair style.
The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship. ~ Sir Francis Drake
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. Your not scared. Your an asshole. ~ Morgan Freeman

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
Like Battery said, not all furs base their 'sona on their own looks like he and I did. Blaidd has black hair, brown eyes, similar haircut and average build like I do. He doesn't smile a lot and appears as if he's in deep thought most of the time (this is based off of what people have told me). You could easily base a mental off of Blaidd on how I look by his own physical traits.

This is not to be said true with a lot of other furries, which is totally okay, seeing as how it's all just a big game of pretend anyways, you can pretend to be whatever you want to be or however you want to look.

Personally, I see my own fursona talking with everybody elses, unless it's a serious matter which I talk to a person directly. I can tell that there's someone behind the fursonas and walls of texts and I can imagine what they look like, but I'm not gonna make an assumption of them unless I've seen a pic or met them in RL.

Mostly, you can just see Blaidd and me as one, as I feel that he isn't really a seperate character for me to play like a puppet, but a mental attachment that allows me to personify one personality into an entity and allow that entity to roam free.

And yes, I know, I'm crazy.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Gribz

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
    • FurAffinity - Gribz
  • Fursona Species: Black Panther
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »
I don't realy know any furries apart from the folks here on FT, and I've never met any in RL, so I tend to picture people as a their fursona and if I've seen a picture of them, then I picture the picture :?
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat them as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.

We're not retreating, we're advancing in a different direction!

Offline Sufi

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Canine - German shepard
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:04 pm »
putting a face to a person is very difficult for me...I guess I usually just take into account their fursona and try and put their personality into a human appearance, if that even makes sense ?

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »

Waaah! I did that too 8D I'm even picky about body type, breast size, etc. when she's drawn. ESPECIALLY her hair. My favorite pieces are the ones where she has my trademark pigtails.
It actually bugs me when people don't? And I mean really, really off. I guess that makes me a terrible person but that's okay =P
Whe I first entered the fandom it bugged me that other's sonas didn't look like them IRL, I felt like hope you don't mind my Elf reference but I felt like they were sitting on a throne of lies. But so far I've gotten use to it and it doesn't bug me any more since I have an alt sona an stuff.

Like when I had long hair my sona had long hair and when I cut it all off and had a mohawk my sona had a mohawk, I like to keep my sona looking like me it's just a preference I guess.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:29:13 pm by Battery »

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:25:50 pm »
putting a face to a person is very difficult for me...I guess I usually just take into account their fursona and try and put their personality into a human appearance, if that even makes sense ?

Yeah, that's kinda what I do =P

Whe I first entered the fandom it bugged me that other's sonas didn't look like them IRL, I felt like hope you don't mind my Elf reference but I felt like they were sitting on a throne of lies. But so far I've use to it and it doesn't bug me any more since I've an alt sona an stuff.

Like when I had long hair my sona had long hair and when I cut it all off and had a mohawk my sona had a mohawk, I like to keeo my sona looking like me it just a preference I guess.

Yeah, for me it's mainly not understanding. To me, a fursona should represent you and you alone, so why make it something that you're not even close to? I mean, something you wish you looked like, or what you used to look like or something is a different story; but for the most part to me, characters completely different from [my]self are just that--characters.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:29:05 pm by Panda »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:35:24 pm »
Yeah, for me it's mainly not understanding. To me, a fursona should represent you and you alone, so why make it something that you're not even close to? I mean, something you wish you looked like, or what you used to look like or something is a different story; but for the most part to me, characters completely different from [my]self are just that--characters.

^ This

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 11:48:44 pm »
if I know what they look like IRL really well, I imagine them in my mind as their real self, or if I know them really well, I don't imagine them as their fursona at all.
Usually it's some sort of mix.
It also depends on when I'm talking to them- like, on MSN talking about normal things I don't imagine them being 'in character' at all, but if I'm on FA and I get a comment I imagine them as their fursona.

I see everyone in this thread so far as their 'sona. If you do see me as my fursona, which one do you see me as? P:

also!!! I know that your ~~fursona~~ should be a representation of you, but just because they don't have the exact body weight as their human, IRL selves do, that doesn't make them any less of an accurate representation?? Maybe that's what they want to be like, maybe they used to be like that, maybe that's how they see themselves, or how others see them. It doesn't always have to be a /physical/ representation of yourself. Sometimes it can be a mental or spiritual representation too.
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:03 pm »
also!!! I know that your ~~fursona~~ should be a representation of you, but just because they don't have the exact body weight as their human, IRL selves do, that doesn't make them any less of an accurate representation?? Maybe that's what they want to be like, maybe they used to be like that, maybe that's how they see themselves, or how others see them. It doesn't always have to be a /physical/ representation of yourself. Sometimes it can be a mental or spiritual representation too.

Nonono, that's what I was trying to get across when I said what you want to look like or whatever. I was just saying /I'm/ really picky about my body weight and stuff =P

Also, spiritual representation ≠ having a super hot, muscular, stereotypical "attractive guy" fursona just to get chicks @@
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:33 am »

Also, spiritual representation ≠ having a super hot, muscular, stereotypical "attractive guy" fursona just to get chicks @@

Well, at least my 'sona doesn't fit that stereotype. He's not real strong (like me) but he's bigger than average size. A bit taller and stockier than normal, but not buff.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Sly Shalashaska (Shinkawa)

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Sharashāshika actually
    • DeviantArt - SlyShalashaska
  • Fursona Species: Fox, Horse
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:00 am »
Well the funny things is I know what most of my friends look like but I still picture them by their fursona, it helps me to understand them better than just how they look IRL
My growing obessision is my growing love.

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

Offline moosemouse

• Brofessional
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 24
    • FurAffinity - moosemouse
  • Fursona Species: Silver fox
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:53 am »
The same way I tend to picture myself in my head - with other people who fit the personality role.

I don't tend to think of myself doing anything in my head, probably because I view my reflection as a different person. I don't talk to it (anymore), but it's just a bit strange. Anyway, I tend to imagine someone I know saying what they are. The person would fit the personality of the current mood of the conversation.

I would probably imagine their fursona if I could make a realistic voice to it, which I can't. My imagination's power level has been under 9000 since it took an arrow to the knee.

Oh god, I really should get some sleep...
[placeholder]

Offline Cayne

• Red Mage
  • Green Level
  • Screw logic
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:46:17 am »