Author Topic: What is it like to wear a fursuit?  (Read 88 times)

Offline Turtleneck

• Mince Pies: 0
  • Fursona Species: Dutchie & Cat-horse-dog plushie
What is it like to wear a fursuit?
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:35:57 pm »
So, I'm planning on making my first fursuit. Any recommendations? Also, could anyone tell me what exactly it's like to wear a fursuit? Thanks!  :D

Offline Mystic

• Gay moo
  • Administrator
  • Mince Pies: 870
  • All I want for Christmas is you
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
Re: What is it like to wear a fursuit?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:47:56 am »
It’s highly dependant on what kind of suit you have (partial, planti or digi) and who the maker was/how you make it but in general it’s warm and hard to see :fox-:P: I’ve got a full planti made by SunnyValleyCreations and she’s not as warm as I was expecting but still very warm. The part I actually struggle woth the most surprisingly is the handpaws, they’re puffy paws so they have padding which makes them SUPER warm and I also can’t pick up anything with them. So yah the more foam/poly fill to padding the more warm it’s going to be (eg her body suit would be much warmer if digi because of the leg padding). My head is surprisingly not too warm?? I don’t have a fan or anything in it but the muzzle is completely carved out and she’s got big eyes that allows for good ventilation. Vision is also not as bad as I thought it’d be, I definitely have less peripheral vision but it’s not enough that I normally notice it, it’s tge downward vision that’s an issue because I basically can’t see below me unless I look down x3
Overall it’s hard to explain but very fun!! Definitely consider things like padding (digi legs, puffy handpaws etc) because the more padding the more hot the suit will be and potentially carving out the muzzle to allow for better airflow c:
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Nova

Offline Ember Kamura

• Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 22
  • How to invade a planet. Wait,This isn't google.
  • Fursona Species: Cyberwolf
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:15 pm »
It’s highly dependant on what kind of suit you have (partial, planti or digi) and who the maker was/how you make it but in general it’s warm and hard to see :fox-:P: I’ve got a full planti made by SunnyValleyCreations and she’s not as warm as I was expecting but still very warm. The part I actually struggle woth the most surprisingly is the handpaws, they’re puffy paws so they have padding which makes them SUPER warm and I also can’t pick up anything with them. So yah the more foam/poly fill to padding the more warm it’s going to be (eg her body suit would be much warmer if digi because of the leg padding). My head is surprisingly not too warm?? I don’t have a fan or anything in it but the muzzle is completely carved out and she’s got big eyes that allows for good ventilation. Vision is also not as bad as I thought it’d be, I definitely have less peripheral vision but it’s not enough that I normally notice it, it’s tge downward vision that’s an issue because I basically can’t see below me unless I look down x3
Overall it’s hard to explain but very fun!! Definitely consider things like padding (digi legs, puffy handpaws etc) because the more padding the more hot the suit will be and potentially carving out the muzzle to allow for better airflow c:
WOOF!! I suppose Fursuit fur Is warm because.... It's.... Fur...?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: His/Him/He
They say life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. *poof, I am now a furry.

Online Taxi

• Imaginary friend...
  • Retired Staff
  • Mince Pies: 397
  • Stay with me till the end
  • Fursona Species: Canine
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:16 pm »
I haven't worn an actual fursuit, but I mascot a bit c:

I use an ice vest when I'm suiting, so it definitely helps me stay cool so my body temperature is not really an issue. As for vision, every suit is different and it highly depends on the construction. Sometimes vision has not been an issue at all, but Mystic is 100% right about having less peripheral vision and downward vision. If you put your hands to the sides of your eyes, those are usually your blindspot. Depending on the eyes, you might have a blindspot directly in front of you and have to choose a dominant eye to look out of. If a head doesn't have a fan, it does get warm quickly which is why it's important to stay hydrated. Fans are great, but eventually the heat will overpower the fan. HOWEVER fursuiting/mascoting is great escapism and it feels great to be someone who you're not as a character :fox-:P: you can lose your inhibitions and just dance around. It's really fun! The head can feel like you're wearing a gigantic hat with a rug around it.
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
Icon by Panda!

Offline Fiesta

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 12
  • (cow intensifies)
  • Fursona Species: light brown cow
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 07:04:41 pm »
It's really hot and hard to move in, depending on the suit. Btw I love making suits (I've made 10+) so pm me if you want some tips.  :lol-fox:
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
I am strange and awkward but aren’t We all.

“If you have an enemy walk mile in their shoes, then your a mile away from them and you have their shoes”~unknown