Author Topic: Repo! The Genetic Opera review (long)  (Read 515 times)

Offline St. Thomas Equinas

• The Misanthropic Philosofur
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
  • We're all born to die...so start dying, all of ya!
    • FurAffinity - VictorDietrich
    • LiveJournal - Victor Dietrich
  • Fursona Species: North American River Otter
Repo! The Genetic Opera review (long)
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:15 pm »
Hi there! Today I will be doing a review of a cult classic known as Repo! The Genetic Opera, directed by the twisted mind behind the Saw franchise, Darren Lynn Bousman. Now I've never been into slasher movies, especially the Saw movies since a lot of the stuff going on in there is just disturbing to me, but this movie grabbed my attention because, as everyone said, it was an opera. Not a musical, an opera. If you're wondering what the difference between an opera is, apperantly a musical has both songs and talking, while an opera is nothing but singing. It's like one long song through the entire movie. And they're trying to make a horror movie out of this concept? How could this get any weirder?

Well, let's start by taking a look at our cast. We have:

Spy Kids 1-3 star Alexa Vega playing our protagonist, a teenage girl named Shilo

Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer as Nathan, Shilo's father who is also the head 'Repo Man'

Opera sensation Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag, who is conveniently an opera singer

One of the film's writers Terrance Zdunich as Graverobber, a creepy stalker-ish guy who likes hitting really low notes when singing

Paul Sorvino as Rotti Largo, a rich Italian man who saved the world by providing organs to people

Bill Moseley as Luigi, Rotti's homicidal older son

A guy named Ogre from some band called Skinny Puppy, Rotti's second son who clamps other people's faces on top of his which is apparently disfigured for some reason

Paris Hilton (yes, Paris Hilton) as Amber Sweet, Rotti's daughter. This role is one of the only movie roles Paris has ever gotten right, mostly because the character is basically a clone of herself

Some woman playing a character simply known as Single Mom who randomly flashes the camera during the Genetic Opera. I was not turned on.

The Genterns, thin nurses in skimpy clothing who work for GeneCo. Sometimes they're comedic but mostly just there for the sex appeal, which you may or may not get into.

Anyway, I'm going to try and keep this short but I make no promises. The world had an epidemic of sorts which was cured by Rotti, who invented a company called GeneCo which provided artificial organs to people who needed transplants. But if they can't keep up with their payments, a Repo Man comes and repossesses the organs by...well, guess. Rotti is going to die and doesn't want to leave the company to his children because he considers them unworthy. He then decided to leave it to Shilo, the daughter of his head Repo Man named Nathan. He would leave it to Nathan but doesn't like him because 17 years ago...(*takes deep breath*) Nathan stole Rotti's girlfriend, married her and while she was pregnant with Shilo, she got sick so Nathan tried to cure her. Rotti slipped some poison into his lab and she died; Nathan thought he was responsible and Rotti promised not to tell anyone what happened if he agreed to be his head Repo Man. Meanwhile, Nathan wants to keep Shilo locked inside because he's afraid that he'll lose her too if he doesn't and ends up poisoning her with a mild disease which keeps her inside. Did you get all that? Well, it’s a lot easier to understand in the movie, but for some reason they decide to show it all through comic book style animation…I guess they were just running low on money.

I won’t spoil the whole thing in case someone wants to see it, but I will say that it’s a very different movie. Being an opera and thus bogged down with songs, you would be correct in guessing that it takes the movie awhile to get anywhere…indeed, if the entire thing was just a regular slasher movie and had no musical numbers, it could probably be over in about half an hour. That being said, the songs do play an important part in the film, and it’s a relief to know that the actors can actually sing…for the most part.

This movie is the definition of a cult classic and most people will either love it or hate it. Fans of slashers will quickly tire due to its slow pacing and amount of musical numbers, and although the film does not hesitate to shower the screen with blood now and then, there aren’t actually that many gory kills. Likewise, fans of musicals will probably avoid it because of its violent nature. It’s a lot like Sweeney Todd and Rocky Horror Picture Show in regards to being both a mature and a comically bombastic musical, and if you’re a fan of that kind of thing, check it out. Heck, even if you’re not I’d recommend it anyway due to one thing; the soundtrack.

Yeah, the soundtrack is awesome; for awhile, I was completely obsessed with it. It heavily combines styles of opera, punk rock, heavy metal and classical and mixes in a bunch of Gothic atmosphere and silly songs with instruments such as accordions and xylophones. Even if you don’t watch the movie, the soundtrack is worth listening to; although you won’t hear any soloing or really fancy instrumental work on it, most of the singers are very good (the exceptions are Alexa Vega, Bill Moseley and of course Paris Hilton) and many of the songs are infectiously catchy, especially Zydrate Anatomy.

Anyway, that’s my review of Repo! The Genetic Opera. I hope you liked it; have a good night!
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Offline Sly Shalashaska (Shinkawa)

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Sharashāshika actually
    • DeviantArt - SlyShalashaska
  • Fursona Species: Fox, Horse
Re: Repo! The Genetic Opera review (long)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »
DAMN! Good review good sir! Very nice.... I might have to watch this myself... although I have never watched a saw movie because... Well it's probably the only thing that gives me nightmares... And I'm having a good morning thank you! Time zones... Lol
My growing obessision is my growing love.

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

Offline Julian Summers (Kin)

• Depressed Femboy Wolf
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • Femboy Wolf <3
    • DeviantArt - KinTheAlbinoLucario
    • FurAffinity - juliansummers
  • Fursona Species: Black Wolf
Re: Repo! The Genetic Opera review (long)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:02:55 am »
damn, i so wanna see that movie! Ive never been able to find it though, nobody seems to have Repo!
I love the songs to it though, they're unique and have lots of emotion in them.
No internet. wont be on for a while.