Author Topic: Weird Bands Everyone Should Hear  (Read 8224 times)

Offline St. Thomas Equinas

• The Misanthropic Philosofur
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
  • We're all born to die...so start dying, all of ya!
    • FurAffinity - VictorDietrich
    • LiveJournal - Victor Dietrich
  • Fursona Species: North American River Otter
Weird Bands Everyone Should Hear
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »
Hi! Although it's not really a review, I'm going to go over some very strange bands I've found in the heavy metal genre and I guarantee you won't have heard of almost any of these, if any at all. I'm a big metal fan and one of the best parts is that metal has such a huge range of genres and that the musicians involved are often so eccentric: I've found a whole bunch of subgenres, some serious and some satirical, which I never thought existed and (most of them) are very good. I'm not going to discuss any genres that are fairly typical like symphonic metal, these are going to be weird. Let's get started now, because this might take awhile.

Pirate Metal: A genre which uses pirate-themed lyrics and imagery; the exception is Alestorm which has a vocalist which sounds almost exactly what you'd think a pirate singing would sound like and uses instruments such as an accordion and violin as well as pirate-sounding riffs and melodies. Check them out if you want a good laugh, they even did a cover of the infamous song 'You Are a Pirate' from Lazytown!

Troll Metal: No, not internet trolls (though that would be epic), this is about those little green trolls in old European mythology. Finntroll is the primary band in this genre and, in a nutshell, combines metal with polka music. Yeah, polka music. It's actually pretty good though.

Circus Metal: Bands which combine metal with circus music. There are actually a few bands in this genre, the best of which (imo) are Dog Fashion Disco (which also uses a lot of jazz in their songs), Stolen Babies (which uses influences from dark cabaret), Unexpect and Le Grand Guignol (which both sound like a circus and an insane asylum decided to build next to each other) and Circus of Dead Squirrels (which is...well...) This genre is incredibly odd but I just love it; some of these artists are just insane with what they come up with.

South American Metal: Apparently this was actually kind of a popular scene in South America which merged metal with traditional Mayan and Aztec music, instruments and imagry. The best is Guahaihoque, which has a flute called a Quena that sounds so beautiful that I actually went and bought one (it's impossible to play)! There's also a band in Russia which does the same kind of thing.

Wild West Metal: Yeah, ever wanted to hear harmonicas, banjos and those symphonic themes from cowboy movies combined with heavy metal? Well, they did it, and formed under the name Desperados. This band is awesome; I listened to the same song over and over for almost an hour.

Samurai Metal: The only band I've found that actually does this even semi-decently is located in, ironically enough, Finland under the name of Whispered. It uses a bunch of Japanese instruments and melodies, and if it weren't for the distractingly gritty vocal performance, it would probably be one of my favorite bands.

Ghost Metal: Carach Angren from Denmark (I think) makes concept albums about ghost stories; they combine black metal with symphonic keyboards and haunting atmospheres and choirs to provide a truly chilling experience. The vocalist is quite good for this style of music, though the drums don't have much variety.

Swing Metal: Diablo Swing Orchestra, one of the most upbeat bands I've ever heard, combines swing music and jazz with heavy metal. They even have a female opera singer as their primary vocalist; this band is really enjoyable to listen to.

So yeah, there's metal for just about everything. If you want to listen to something different, go and look these guys up on Youtube or something; they should all be there and they're all bound to give you a very bizarre, albiet memorable, experience.

Still searching for Furry Metal, though!
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Offline Sly Shalashaska (Shinkawa)

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Sharashāshika actually
    • DeviantArt - SlyShalashaska
  • Fursona Species: Fox, Horse
Re: Weird Bands Everyone Should Hear
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:14:31 pm »
=3 um.... Ok... Are they really... Metal ??? I just can't really imagine it (being a thrasher) I always see metal as either 70's or distorted... But then there is stairway to heaven ~heavy metal~ And it's not what most people perceive as ~metal~ so... I don't know...
My growing obessision is my growing love.

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

• Orange Level
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
Yeah, they're all metal. Most use either death, black or thrash metal vocals and distorted guitars; none of them would qualify as rock or anything less except maybe for Stolen Babies, but even they have a screaming vocalist.

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Sharashāshika actually
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:59 pm »
 :lol-fox:
Yeah, they're all metal. Most use either death, black or thrash metal vocals and distorted guitars; none of them would qualify as rock or anything less except maybe for Stolen Babies, but even they have a screaming vocalist.
Ok! Fair enough! ^^ Screamo pirates... LOL ... Furry metal would be interesting I must say though...

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

• Orange Level
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:53 pm »
Ok! Fair enough! ^^ Screamo pirates... LOL ... Furry metal would be interesting I must say though...

It would be, wouldn't it? The closest I've found is some songs on FA, but nothing that resembled a completed project.

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Sharashāshika actually
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »

It would be, wouldn't it? The closest I've found is some songs on FA, but nothing that resembled a completed project.
Sharing is caring ^^ link please!

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:54:30 pm »

Sharing is caring ^^ link please!

Can't find whatever it was anymore, but there's tons of metal on Furaffinity (just go and type in 'metal' or whatever kind of metal you want and uncheck everything but music). There are a bunch there but I'm not sure which ones are actually about furries.

Yes, screamo pirates are awesome (there's also Swashbuckle, they're more screamo than Alestorm lol)

Offline Applesau5

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • SIR APPLESAU5 XIV, LORD OF 1943 XB (CERES)
  • Fursona Species: Lynx
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:28 pm »
Pirate metal seems to be completely amazing.

Also, here some Southern Metal (united states, not south america)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQX57tL4Y-Y
no u

• Orange Level
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 05:38:17 pm »
Pirate metal seems to be completely amazing.

Also, here some Southern Metal (united states, not south america)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQX57tL4Y-Y

Oh yeah, I love that band. I have that song on my Ipod actually :D
The most 'southern' metal band I've heard of is called Texas Hippie Coalition...it's like that band but more country worship.

Also, kudos to you for having The King as your avatar.

Offline XxDawnshadowxX

• Harvester of Figs
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 18
  • Die Welt braucht mehr OOMPH! (*´∀`*)
    • DeviantArt - XxDawnshadowxX
    • FurAffinity - XxDawnshadowxX
    • LiveJournal - XxDawnshadowxX
    • Twitter - xxdawnshadowxx
  • Fursona Species: Siamese cat
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:37:40 pm »
Pirate metal, Troll metal, Ghost metal... I had no idea half of that stuff existed! O__O Thanks for the information! :)
Desperados is the only band I know that you mentioned, and only because the band friend requested me on Youtube. They're really cool; I spoke to them a bit in German, they're quite interesting. :lol:

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Sharashāshika actually
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:25:27 am »
Pirate metal, Troll metal, Ghost metal... I had no idea half of that stuff existed! O__O Thanks for the information! :)
Desperados is the only band I know that you mentioned, and only because the band friend requested me on Youtube. They're really cool; I spoke to them a bit in German, they're quite interesting. :lol:
Teach me your ways master of speaking German!... I SUCK at speaking German and my dad is sooo lazy he won't friggin teach me! Why I can translate it so damn well is confusing... Know what's annoying most of all? Every time I go to Germany (every 2-3 years) I can understand people there ALMOST PERFECTLY but they can't understand me -_- it's so retarded...

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

Offline Applesau5

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 3
  • SIR APPLESAU5 XIV, LORD OF 1943 XB (CERES)
  • Fursona Species: Lynx
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »
Celtic metal sounds like it would be an amazing genre. Anyone know of any bands that would fit this category?
no u

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:16:32 pm »
Weird bands eh? Well have you ever heard of Swing-Techno?
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

• Orange Level
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 06:28:30 am »
Celtic metal sounds like it would be an amazing genre. Anyone know of any bands that would fit this category?

Yeah, there's a bunch. Try Eluveitie or Korpiklaani.

Offline XxDawnshadowxX

• Harvester of Figs
  • Yellow Level
  • Die Welt braucht mehr OOMPH! (*´∀`*)
    • DeviantArt - XxDawnshadowxX
    • FurAffinity - XxDawnshadowxX
    • LiveJournal - XxDawnshadowxX
    • Twitter - xxdawnshadowxx
  • Fursona Species: Siamese cat
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »
Teach me your ways master of speaking German!... I SUCK at speaking German and my dad is sooo lazy he won't friggin teach me! Why I can translate it so damn well is confusing... Know what's annoying most of all? Every time I go to Germany (every 2-3 years) I can understand people there ALMOST PERFECTLY but they can't understand me -_- it's so retarded...

Oh, it's like that for many people. Like Rammstein for example, for alot of their music videos they worked with a man who spoke English. They can understand the English pretty well but often can only form fragments of a sentence if even that(this excluding Richard who seems pretty fluent.)
Accent can be a bit of a problem. I find it a bit difficult to understand someone with a German accent when they speak English, unless the accent isn't too heavy. Striped by Rammstein - I couldn't even tell it was English at first because of Till's accent.

Are you getting word placement right? That can make a big difference, also if you try best to mimic a German accent when your speaking German, it should be easier to be understood. I'd be glad to help you out if you want, just throw a PM at me. xD

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
Neutral Milk Hotel and Sigur Ros. (Hipster levels rose to OVER 9000!!!)
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Chopin

• Green Level
  • We're the Last in Line!
    • FurAffinity - chopin
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger/Dragon
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 10:49:41 am »
I love Diablo Swing Orchestra and Alestorm!

I've always thought that Lawnmower Deth and Austrian Death Machine are hilarious, if you're in the mood for comedy with your brutality.  And Blood Stain Child is one of my favorite bands, they mix techno and melodic death metal, and I think they're really cool.  And Freak Kitchen is really bizarre, I'm not sure if most people would call them "metal", but, I don't really call Zeppelin metal, and a lot of others do, but Freak Kitchen's cool, nonetheless.
"You've got your stairs to Heaven, you may be right.  I only know in my world, I hate the light, I speed at night!"
-Dio, I Speed At Night

Offline Sheba Damon

• Has the munchies...
  • Yellow Level
  • Yellow
  • Fursona Species: Skink
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 05:08:10 pm »
Weird bands eh? Well have you ever heard of Swing-Techno?
I love this so much.

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »
Just found an odd band the other day that I think people should give a listen to. And no, they're not weird based on lyrical themes like a lot of the entries I've seen on here (lyrical themes have -very- little to do with musical genre in most cases).

It's called Netra, and it's an obscure and odd trip-hop/black metal solo project from France. Definitely worth giving a listen if you want to hear something that's new and innovative that still has the dark atmosphere that you'd expect with traditional/depressive BM.

You can download the debut Full-Length for free (on behalf of the Artist/Label; not an illegal link mind you) here: http://hypnoticdirgerecords.bandcamp.com/album/m-lancolie-urbaine

Offline Mehrunes

• BROSEIDON!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • KING OF THE BROCEAN!
    • FurAffinity - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEE
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »
By South American Metal, do you mean, like, Sepultura?