Author Topic: Beats by dre (specifically Solo HD and Tours)  (Read 12072 times)

Offline Akira

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 4
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • FurAffinity - swiftpurpose
  • Fursona Species: arctic fox
Beats by dre (specifically Solo HD and Tours)
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
Okay, so i have been looking around on this part of the forum, and have not seen this review yet, so im going for it!

So, i spend almost ALL day listening to music, and i consider it to be a major part of my life.  So the headphones i use are very important, because i want the best out of what im listening too.  Early into my obsesion with music, i would use Skullcandy, costing me about 20 to 40$.  But eventually i wanted to up the quality, so i went out and bought a pair of Solo HD's.  I instantly feel in love with them, they were the best i had ever used (which doesn't say much...).  So i used these for about 3 to 4 months until i started running into problems.  I started noticing it only playing in one ear, and i could fix it by moving the cord around for a bit, but it was still very annoying nevertheless.  And the problem only grew from there, and got to the point where it would ONLY play in one ear.  So i stopped using them, bout a new pair, and didnt think much of it.  I found there were MUCH better brands out there, and that i was simply paying for the name, and the fancy box it comes in.  I did try beat again, this time with the in-ear beats tours.  i was very impressed, but they only lasted me 2 months before the cover to the control talk fell off, leaving it compleatly useless.  So once again i moved on.  All i have to say is...   

Yes beats are good headphones, but they are certainly not the best you can get for your money.  they make them seem like some wondrous thing, because of the way they are presented, but really, they are no better than the headphones that come in the shitty plastic cases.  If you want my advice, go for Klipsche.  those headphones sound better, and cost less.

Offline Trystero

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 38
    • FurAffinity - trystero
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Belgian Shepherd)
Re: Beats by dre (specifically Solo HD and Tours)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »
I've had the Studios for a little over two years. So far everything has worked fine, which I attribute to always keep them in the case and using them only at my computer. The noise-cancellation works pretty well; listening to music, it's near impossible to hear someone else yelling. On the topic of sound, I believe it to be clearer and extend over a greater range than that of my Sony or Sennheiser headphones. The bass is not overpowering, though is still very much apparent. The mids are present as well, though somewhat muted. The highs are a double edged sword; they're very clear and loud, but almost fatiguing as a result. Aside from this, the only issue I have is their tendency to leak sound.

Also, the cheapest over-ear Klipsch headphones are $150 ($50 less than the Solo HDs). The best brand to go with would probably be Grado, which start at $80 and are consistently called some of the best-sounding headphones available.

Offline Akira

• Orange Level
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • FurAffinity - swiftpurpose
  • Fursona Species: arctic fox
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:01 pm »
^this, and yes, klipsche over ears do get expensive, you are very right! but their in ears are actually fairly cheap!  and as for taking care of my beats, i find that was my problem, i took the EVERYWHERE.  i was carefull with them, but still, a drop here and there really can mess them up, that's for sure!

Oh, and i have heard of Grado's but the look of em just pushes me away, that's the one thing i hate about myself is that if the headphones look bad to me, then i instantly stay away from them. but im getting better about that!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:48:18 pm by Swift »

Offline Malifor

• Green Level
  • Candies: 73
  • No
    • FurAffinity - malifor2210
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:47:33 am »
I already went though 2 pairs of skullcandy 50/50s thats $50 each, best headphones in my life, cuz I mostly listen to hardstyle and love the extra bass but its always the freaking left ear bud that breaks and the jack gets glitchy, and then I substuted it with the $40 ones and they seem that they will last longer than the 50/50 for the price, and idk if i might get the beats earbuds if they will last longer *the $100 ones, im not made of money

Offline Sly Shalashaska (Shinkawa)

• シャラシャーシカ
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Sharashāshika actually
    • DeviantArt - SlyShalashaska
  • Fursona Species: Fox, Horse
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:27 am »
Time for a lesson on headphones, now, with your next pair of headphones that break do me a favor; have a looksie at the speaker inside it, whats its composition? You will find that the of the best usually compose of a metal structure, to avoid bass killing them (well this is my observation and hypothesis) and the ironic thing is, I bought a cheap 10 euro pair of headphones a while back in Germany, twas 2 pairs in 1.... BEST HEADPHONES EVUR! The had brilliant sound and took base LIKE A BOSS! And I'm still using them today... why? It has metal composed speakers, not that cheap paper shite... Also I mostly can't be bothered with flash brands like Skull Candy and what-not as I just gather all the crap I need and whip one up just as good for an ounce of the price! On top of that I amplify them to make em' a little louder... Seriously, in cases of headphones you should learn how to make/repair them, tis one of the most usefull things to know!
My growing obessision is my growing love.

Sly-fox-furry@gmail.com
No dashes in that ;D

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
I had studios for a little bit but I barely used them and sold them later because they leaked a ridiculous amount of sound (like Tystero said). Idk why but I'm so self concious over my privacy lol (I dont want people to know what I'm listening to. Hence why I'm using headphones... lol). But yeah I sold them for $225 so I lost $125 on those :l.

Before the beats I used the apple headphones, which broke on a monthly basis. Then I bought a pair of cheap $5 headphones. Yeah the sound quality isn't the best, but you can still live with it and it's lasted me from November and still going strong! Lol

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 178
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:35 pm »
To me, Beats are ok headphones. My main problem with them is the price tag. I think most of your money when you buy these headphones goes more towards the branding itself rather than the quality of the headphones. I have a set of Sennheiser HD-419's and honestly I prefer these over Beats any day, and they were a fifth of the price. They deliver the same if not even better quality than Dr Dre's headphones do. If you're planning on spending that much for headphones, buy a set of AKG K272's. (http://us.akg.com/akg-product-detail-us/k272-hd.html) My friend owns a pair, and it made me feel sorry for those that bought the Beats. The sound quality the AKG's deliver are studio quality. They are better headphones if you're an audiophile and want to hear your music like you've never heard it before. Also, I use Skullcandies as earbuds because they're cheap, deliver good enough quality on the go, and if my pair breaks I just have to drive 20 minutes up a canyon to their HQ in Park City Utah (If you don't live in Utah, you can still mail them in for a replacement pair). So I honestly have two sets of headphones, one pair for legitimate hardcore listening, and another for listening to in waiting rooms and when I'm bored (the crappier pair).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:45:36 pm by NightF0x »
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »
I'm quite the audiophile myself, so ill add something.

Ive got the beats "monster" that came with my htc resound, which is one of the beats phones. I plugged them in, and was not all that impressed. They had decent bass, but the mids are fuzzy sounding, and quiet. The highs can get kind of screechy at times. I'm glad i didn't pay extra for them.

A few people mentioned klipsch, and I do agree, for the money, they sound good. My only complaint about my klipsch earbuds, they are much quieter than most phones. however,I do like the angled plug on them, and I'm going on my 3rd year with them.

The most durable pair of headphones i have, are my sonys. I use them when I dj. Drop them, crush them, throw 'em off a building, they will work. My dad has had them since 98 when he would dj, and now I've used them for the past 4 years. And for sound? They are well balanced.

But, hands down my favorite pair of headphones are my Bose. Nothing I've heard even come close to the sound quality these have. They don't leave the house. I don't want them stolen.

Skullcandy and beats are just flashy, pointless wastes of money.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 03:30:51 pm by Orpheus »
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »
my brother got the buds and they broke so fast, I don't work with that.
#Ifeelpretty

Offline H2o2go

• marksman furry
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 14
    • FurAffinity - h2o2go
    • Twitter - @Rio_guy1
    • Bloody Borzoi Comic
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:46:08 pm »
I did a bit of work in a recording studio. The gold rule of headphones is that if they cost more then $50 there not worth it. I have headphones that put beats to shame so drimaticly it not even funny. The Sony mdr-zx100 run for less than $20 and even tho the lower ends arnt vary powerful than are the best possible head set for less than $150. If you can find them give them a try! I highly recommend.
When I started walking and I looked down and I saw on the floor this water, which looked like, you know, water in your basement...  except, however it happened to be in the auxiliary building of a nuclear power plant...

Offline Iradium

• Foxehbutt
  • Orange Level
  • Wubz N Stuff
    • FurAffinity - Sibirdy
    • Twitter - @IradiumPiros
  • Fursona Species: Fennec Fox / King Cheetah
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 09:52:56 am »
love the extra bass
I too, am in for the bass. I actually bought the cheap-o $20 dollar earbuds, set my iPod equalizer to Bass Booster, and enjoyed it a ton.

I love bass. And I blame that on my first concert. It was local, and my dad took me there as a suprise. It was th Seether/Hinder/ Black rose Cherry concert in York Fair. (This was back when I actually listened to music that my parents approved of)  We sat down, and they were just playing recordings of Bon Jovi or KISS, so we felt like we were gonna have a bad time. After fifteen minutes, they came out on stage and the mosh pit went wild. Hinder was the opening act, playing a song from the pre-release of their next album. But literally as soon as the song started, the feel of someone beating on my chest, I was in love. Any song with bass was good in my book. There were many times that I actually gave myself nosebleeds from the bass that went through my head.

The first thing I got was some $9 neodymium earbuds from Sony at Walmart. They pretty much exploded after the first song I listened to. But for rock, or pop, they had the crispest, best sound ever. They only broke because the song was nose-bleed level. Next I bout the cheapest skullcandy you can buy. The only thing I do not like about them is the rubber earpiece tends to come off in my pocket, and that the play/pause/forward/back control on the left feed wire ends up playing my music while I'm standing, and it's in my pocket. Noone honestly wants to hear happy techno/rave in the middle of class.

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
  • Candies: 26
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:52 pm »
Anyone else a like Sylvania earbuds? Just bought a pair yesterday, by far the best I've heard for rock and metal. And who cares about rap, people still call it rap right?

Offline Trystero

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 38
    • FurAffinity - trystero
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Belgian Shepherd)
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:46:30 pm »
In addition to the Studios, I have two other pairs of headphones that I use on a regular basis:
I. Sennheiser HD 201: I mainly use this pair for gaming or watching videos with a lot of dialogue. Mid and high frequencies are quite clear, at the cost of having almost no bass response. They don't block out much ambient noise either, which limits their usefulness in a loud area.
II. Sony MDR-XB500: These are mostly used for listening to music, specifically Hip Hop and other bass-heavy genres. Low end is exceptional and nearly overpowering, such that it almost surpasses that of the Beats. The downside is that higher frequencies are noticeably muted, which can result in unrealistic sounding vocals. They are quite comfy and can block out more ambient noise than the Sennheisers, plus the cord is less-prone to tangling.

The problem I have with both pairs is that neither adequately cover the entire frequency range. The Beats, in my opinion, combine the best elements of each pair with the added benefit of noise cancellation and a removable cord. While they probably aren't worth $300, it at least garners them some practical value.

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 03:48:09 am »
I recently bought the Diesel: Noise Divisions from Monster Electronics, and I liked the quality, but after comparing them to others, it's actually not as good as I had expected. I wouldn't mind keeping them, but not for their price. I'll be returning them soon. I'm sure I can find a pair just as good for a much lower price.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Pastel Fenny

• Tattoo artist
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 19
  • Come and get a ticket follow me to the freak show
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »
Being a bass player, I love to listen to the songs through my beats pros. I got them for two reasons, because I love the style of them, and that they do have good sound quality. I have never had any problems with them
5/8" stretched ears
Septum ring
Suicide prevention tattoo
Coon life yo

Offline nalo

• gunsmith furreh!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 8
  • O_O what goes here? *vapes*
    • DeviantArt - itxploded
    • FurAffinity - nalo
    • LiveJournal - itxploded
    • pawville
  • Fursona Species: wuff!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 06:04:58 am »
i am still rockin a pair of sennheiser 201's that i bought for $20 from amazon and love them, and my next purchase whenever these die will be another pair of senns
sig by ambroise darcy dartagnan

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 06:58:32 am »
Beats really are terrible.

Im not the biggest expert on headphones and sound, but they are absolutely horrid. They distort the sound, they are general terrible quality.

If you want something good, sennheiser, Bose or shure
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline char coal .18

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Fursona Species: pitbull
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »
Had a pair broke in two and I got mad and ran them overland got chewed out
Bob Marley says don't  worry be happy if yor having a bad day.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOo4OnQpwjkc

Don't f*** with the back woods pitbull

Offline Swift the Panther

• If you follow my advice you're either incredibly courageous or an incredible idiot.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »
Holy shit guys, I saw this thread and instantly thought 'I don't remember making this' and then I clicked on it and realized what happened.

And, on the topic of the thread, I hate Beats. I personally prefer ear-buds to headphones; less clunky.
Dear all,
I am no longer active on this site and would ask that none of you send friend requests/chat invites/etc. to whatever account of mine you may find. Thank you.

Offline MessedThoughts

• If you think this title has been changing, you're going crazy
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 273
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:35 pm »
Ive tried beats on, and the feel like my $70 steelseries headset.

And let me tell you, i still don't understand why people shell out $300+ for these headphones when there are ones of similar quality for only $30~$70
Icon done by @NikiSerenko (twitter) // Nicnak044 (FA)