Author Topic: Book Of Mormon! (Musical)  (Read 639 times)

Offline Yona

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
    • DeviantArt - Aw3someJon
    • FurAffinity - Yonaradros
  • Fursona Species: Cat
Book Of Mormon! (Musical)
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:13 am »
I was damn lucky enough to see the real thing on Broadway last weekend, and ever since it's been swimmin' around in me head ever since! SO I thought I'd write a review for it here on good ol' FT.

Genius. Never have I lied eyes on a piece of theatre so... so witty, so satirical, and so true! The songs were sung with perfect pitch, with excellent choreography! The lyrics were boisterous and humorous, some were quite raunchy even, quite ironic for the Mormon theme. I will warn right now that the play is pretty explicit with language. Personally, it didn't change my opinion one bit, just brought on more laughter!
        The stage and set were so simply designed, yet they were so realistic and inviting. The frame of the stage was very bright, and the paint was quite beautiful, despite looking like a scene from a sci-fi movie!
        My only two irks is there was one scene that seemed a little redundant and out of place, and the other was it was kinda hard to distinguish between certain, well, mormons. Now I'm able to say all us white people CAN look alike...
        Overall, it was the best piece of theatre I have seen, and the huge attention it has gotten since its release is WELL deserved! An excellent commentary, not only on one of the fastest growing religion in America, Mormonism, but also on religion itself! It's a play for everyone. Christians, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, even Mormons!

So I'd have to give this play a A/A+. Excellent show!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:15:06 am by Natasha Softpaw »

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
Re: Book Of Mormon! (Musical)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
I've been hoping to see it someday because I normally find anything produced by Trey Parker and Matt Stone to be hilarious. I have seen some of the musical numbers on YouTube; they're all pretty catchy and funny. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:46:01 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline NightF0x

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 178
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:54:20 pm »
Being from Utah and being submerged in the Mormon culture all my life, this is a play I really want to see! My friend's dad went on a business trip to New York and went to see the play. He said it's something that everyone should see! I'm hoping maybe one day I'll be able to see this play. Just from the first song "Hello" reminded me of having missionaries come to my house all the time! (Because I live in a non-Mormon household) This play is definitely on my bucket list, and I will see it!
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline St. Thomas Equinas

• The Misanthropic Philosofur
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • We're all born to die...so start dying, all of ya!
    • FurAffinity - VictorDietrich
    • LiveJournal - Victor Dietrich
  • Fursona Species: North American River Otter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:57 pm »
Awesome review, love! Sounds like a very exciting musical, one that I would certainly like to see. So few people know how to do satire well anymore let alone make a musical out of it, although coming from the creators of South Park this is not unexpected, those guys seem to love musicals and dirty comedies more than anything else in the world.

Maybe we can see it together sometime!  :lol-fox:
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
Eh, I listened to the soundtrack and was far from impressed.
Not something I would consider looking further into.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor