Author Topic: How did you get your fursona/Reference sheet drawn.  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Zackspeedling

• The 4th Survivor
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • The Death cannont die...
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: polar bear
How did you get your fursona/Reference sheet drawn.
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:52:28 pm »
First let me say this.

I am sorry if this is not the correct location I just dont think this belongs in the art thread. And the reason I did not put that in the title is because it is to long.

I am so curious as to how everyone had their fursona/reference sheet drawn. I have been a furry sense I was 15 (19 now turning 20 in june) and I can not find a single person/artist to draw it for me. I feel so left out due to this I do not know why. Money is a bit of a hard topic but the tldr version is paypal wants me to link to a bank account that I don't have. But you are 19 almost 20 why do you not have a bank account? Well when I moved down here to West Va I was listed as a JR and was about to go into my SR year. Well get down here and the principle is like NOPE you are going to be a sophomore. I told her gtfo (Not really but in a nice way) and we went at it for like 20 minutes. My grades were not BAD but nothing like OMG SO SMART. I had the brains to be an A+ student but I never did. Why? Because it was boring to me I would learn what the teacher would well teach in the first week and be ready to move on. Well we all know the kids who sit in the back and do nothing right? Well the lesson would get extended for like another 2 weeks and I would get so annoyed. I tryed to help them and other things but they just had the "I don't give a shit go way" attitude. So when I got down here and I gave in to being listed as a sophomore I did the rest of the year got
C's,B's and a A in my Adv.Anatomy class. After all that get my scheduled for next year only to see I AM STILL LISTED AS A SOPHOMORE. I called the school and they gave me some BS. And I told them fine I am dropping out then F*** you all. In the past I have had two different people say they were going to do it. And I would ask like 3 weeks after and I would never get a response. Never got a PM or anything like that. I have looked at people on FA and sites like that but the prices are so high. Like the cheapest thing I saw was like $50 and my eyes just went O.o. I can understand it is their "job" but come on talk about a nut buster. To add to it I can NOT draw at all like the art gene skipped right over me (my mom is a tattoo apprentice).

Wow got off topic there....Or did I it is hard to tell.

Offline Sleek

• FT's Resident MoonMoon
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 61
  • Cars are a passion.
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Huskee
Re: How did you get your fursona/Reference sheet drawn.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:31:24 pm »
Oh I love this question because I love how I got my first reference sheet drawn. Which was also the first time Sleek was drawn.

When I first joined FA I was a lurking furry that kinda stayed low and didn't talk much. I mean it took like a month(I think) before I even started favoriting art. Anyway I lurked around and one day I found an amazing and kind artist called LostLove (yes the one that made my current avatar) and she was the one who helped me create Sleek. She holds a contest every once in a while where you have to say a phrase and whoever or the first few people that reply with that phrase in her journal gets a freebie. I somehow won one of them and I didn't have a ref. So instead of giving me the normal prize she gave me a ref based on the colors I picked for Sleek. I used that ref for two years and it is the most viewed thing in my FA gallery. Later last year she made a new ref out of kindness of Sleek and it was much better and I am currently using that one. She is one of my favorite artists not just because her style is awesome, but because she is one of the most generous people I have met. I would probably have given up being a furry and possibly even killed myself if it weren't for her drawing Sleek which I have grown attached to and kept me going in my depression.

First time Sleek was put on FA: http://sfw.furaffinity.net/view/3914328/
  • Site Donor
I may have a a problem with watching too many people on FA and DA...
Icon by Kiwi

Online Gage

• Antlers up here.
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 203
  • Hoofies down here.
    • DeviantArt - Damhirsch
    • FurAffinity - Gage
    • Twitter - @_Damhirsch_
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr blog
  • Fursona Species: Fallow deer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »
Moved to Artwork because "being tl;dr" should not be a factor when placing a thread within its correct board. This thread strongly pertains to artistic customs held among members of this fandom, hence it goes in the Artwork board. As for how I received a reference sheet, I'll follow up on that in this paragraph. I didn't receive any artwork of my character until I was lucky enough to receive a request from Hale Laocon. I think most members of the fandom usually get a a sketch of their character before they get a full-blown reference sheet. After I had received that sketch, I then subsequently received a couple of reference sheets from a user by the name of Sparrow/Mango Paws when she offered me one as a request and the second as gift-art. Essentially, I was highly fortunate to receive free-artwork from such kind people and I still greatly appreciate the artwork to this very day.

However, I should warn you that very few artists will be willing to draw reference sheets for free and some may not want to give you free-artwork at all. Reference sheets in particular take a lot of effort and far less artists will be willing to do them for free. That isn't really that much of a problem because a basic sketch or even a well-detailed description is still usually enough for an artist to decide how to ideally draw your character. If you are unable to use Paypal to pay for artwork, you could always look out for a thread offering requests in this board. That is how I received most of the artwork when I was relatively newer to the fandom. However, I must remind you that if you are offered the opportunity to receive a request, you must always act politely and gratefully towards the artist who was kind enough to spend their time drawing your character for free.

Regarding your issues at school, you shouldn't openly antagonize your school's administration. You don't have to like their decision, but impolitely arguing about it with them will not get you anywhere. The best thing I can advice you to is attempt to improve your grades or just wait until you finish your sophomore year. Just keep in mind that you shouldn't have too long to wait until you are able to get a PayPal account and buy all of the Furry artwork you desire. Sorry if I have said anything within this section which appears incorrect, I'm not wholly familiar with the US' education system because I live in Britain - I know even less about how that correlates with economics and user-restrictions with PayPal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:22:38 am by Gage »
  • Site Donor
“The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.” ― Charles Darwin

Icon by Marci McAdam.
My herd!

Offline Zackspeedling

• The 4th Survivor
  • Orange Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
I am not a sophomore I dropped out like last year. They wanted to list me as a sophomore and kept me as one so I just left. I am 19 and I was 17 when we moved down here. But so far these stories are very interesting. Also thanks for clarifying about the whole artwork/general thing.

Edit: Fixed some odd mistakes in my spelling and other stuff....Curse you skype calls.

Double Edit: After thinking now I realize that I was thinking that a reference sheet was a must (Which is true in alot of the cases I see) but a sketch is where I would need to start.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:26:26 pm by Zackspeedling »

Online Gage

• Antlers up here.
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 203
  • Hoofies down here.
    • DeviantArt - Damhirsch
    • FurAffinity - Gage
    • Twitter - @_Damhirsch_
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr blog
  • Fursona Species: Fallow deer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:41:07 pm »
I am not a sophomore I dropped out like last year. They wanted to list me as a sophomore and kept me as one so I just left. I am 19 and I was 17 when we moved down here. But so far these stories are very interesting. Also thanks for clarifying about the whole artwork/general thing.
Oh, I see. Sorry about commenting on your school-life without fully understanding what you had written. I kind of read that paragraph in a present-tense for some reason. Even in that case, I guess I still don't fully understand how that inhibits you from obtaining a bank account and Paypal account. Could you possibly elaborate on that? Maybe I could still help because I posses a Paypal account (though I share it with my dad).

Double Edit: After thinking now I realize that I was thinking that a reference sheet was a must (Which is true in alot of the cases I see) but a sketch is where I would need to start.
I think that is one of the best ways to get your first piece of artwork of your character. I also think that is how many furries start, actually. You could also consider using a template. If you are unable to get a Paypal any time soon, I would just advice you to browse this board or browse Fur Affinity to see if anybody is offering free artwork or has produced a template.  If an artist decides to take your request, as I said in my post above, I think it is important to remember to ask said artist politely and show them the utmost appreciation for offering free-artwork.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:23:21 am by Gage »
  • Site Donor
“The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.” ― Charles Darwin

Icon by Marci McAdam.
My herd!

Offline Izzydagreywolf

• Flat Top Swag
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • FurAffinity - Izzydagreywolf
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Canis Lupus
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »
I guess I'm an exception to the rule. Money is hard to come by for me but I saved up for a long time and I finally had enough and I commissioned Vallhund on FA for a reference sheet and my icon. To clarify the Paypal issue, I'm not so sure that you have to have a bank account. All I have on mine is my debit card which I put down as a credit card because the debit card is run by master card so it has the ability to be run like credit but only functions as a debit card. I don't ever use it to fund my balance though, they have these things called MoneyPaks, its a card that you load with cash at the register for like a $5 fee. Then it works just like an iTunes card and lets you fund your balance with it. They have them at CVS, 7 Eleven, and Walmart.
FCW3a A--- C->+ D>++ H M- P+ R T++ W-- Z- Sf- RL->TI a->++++ cn d? e->++ f h*>++++ i j- p+ sf-->f+

words to live by: "A man who will not die for something is not fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King JR.

aviation advice: "Stick go up, houses get smaller. Stick go down, houses get bigger. Unless you're upside down." - Anonymous

Offline mango

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 207
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:42 am »
Unless you're a really obscure species, free templates aren't that hard to come by. I did a quick dA and FA search, and there are quite a few free line-drawings of bears that you can edit the colours onto, in MS paint or by printing and drawing the markings in by hand, then scanning it again. they're not super impressive or fancy; but if you have a character that can't be described well enough with just text, it's where I would start. What reference sheets are for is a clear, accurate guide for your character, and you don't really need anything but a front/back with fur markings and swatches of the fur colours, because ccessories and clothing articles and stuff are easy to google images of.
Since you haven't just plain come out with 'plz draw my ref for free' and I really, /really/ love drawing bears I wouldn't mind doing you a basic one, if you want. Most artists charge quite a lot (I've seen some go over $100 before) for references because they often include so many little details, extra views and details and they're all shaded and polished, so they look really nice but really, basic is better :P
Do any of your friends have a paypal account? I don't have one, but I have two friends who let me use theirs. One for recieving money and one for sending.
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Graphic Artist
stop messaging me asking for free art.

Offline Zackspeedling

• The 4th Survivor
  • Orange Level
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46:49 pm »
I did a quick dA and FA search, and there are quite a few free line-drawings of bears that you can edit the colours onto, in MS paint or by printing and drawing the markings in by hand, then scanning it again. they're not super impressive or fancy; but if you have a character that can't be described well enough with just text, it's where I would start.
Do any of your friends have a paypal account? I don't have one, but I have two friends who let me use theirs. One for recieving money and one for sending.

I just got done looking on FA and I can not seem to find any at all lol. I do not know if I am looking in the wrong section or what but I will find it eventually. No I do not have any friends with paypal.

Offline Sleek

• FT's Resident MoonMoon
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 61
  • Cars are a passion.
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • View Profile
  • Fursona Species: Huskee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:27 pm »
I did a quick dA and FA search, and there are quite a few free line-drawings of bears that you can edit the colours onto, in MS paint or by printing and drawing the markings in by hand, then scanning it again. they're not super impressive or fancy; but if you have a character that can't be described well enough with just text, it's where I would start.

I just got done looking on FA and I can not seem to find any at all lol. I do not know if I am looking in the wrong section or what but I will find it eventually. No I do not have any friends with paypal.

A lot of people use this.  http://ppzp.weebly.com/freebies--tutorials.html However, that is for cats and dogs.  But you may be able to edit it a bit to fit your needs.
  • Site Donor
I may have a a problem with watching too many people on FA and DA...
Icon by Kiwi

Offline Zackspeedling

• The 4th Survivor
  • Orange Level
    • View Profile