Author Topic: Do you keep your fursona to yourself?  (Read 12959 times)

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • I'm gonna be somebody some day
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Do you keep your fursona to yourself?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »
Are you loud and proud? Or more quiet about it? Myself I don't talk about it at all, I feel slightly embraced, but what are your thoughts on the matter?

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
Re: Do you keep your fursona to yourself?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »
Like, as in what do you mean? In real life? In general? And by keep it to yourself, do you mean like not ever talk about it. Because some people might identify as their fursona, and some people have multiple fursonas with maybe some they don't talk about.

Just seeking clarity, that's all.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »
What I mean is do you ever talk about  it to friends, relatives, anybody you just trust, I don't Feel I made the connection that I am my fursona, I think of it as a mask like at a fancy party with masks, (forgot the word)

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:05 pm »
What I mean is do you ever talk about  it to friends, relatives, anybody you just trust, I don't Feel I made the connection that I am my fursona, I think of it as a mask like at a fancy party with masks, (forgot the word)
Masquerade.

Anyways, in terms of being "open" about my furriness, I can't really say I am. It's just one of my weird interests, and I don't see it as much of an identity (just a fandom to me). I'm sure there are lifestylers who can't go a day without wearing something fur related or talking about furry, though. I'm not one of those people.

Offline Gribz

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 8
    • FurAffinity - Gribz
  • Fursona Species: Black Panther
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:10 pm »
I don't talk about my fursona, but I don't hide him either. I just don't know anyone that is very interested in him. I have been asked what "my animal" is by friends who know about my interest in furries but havn't realy put it together that i AM a furry and I've told them what my fursona is.
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat them as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.

We're not retreating, we're advancing in a different direction!

Offline Sufi

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Fursona Species: Canine - German shepard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:20 pm »
Yes I do, unless I meet some furry friend in real life and I start hanging out with them, then I'll let them know about my fursona..but it's not really anybody elses business otherwise and I doubt they would care anyway.

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 594
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »
xD I am sooo open in my furry-ness
Not in like, the annoying rub-it-in-peoples'-faces way >_> But practically everyone I know knows, or at least everyone who's friends with me on Facebook XD I frequently post commissioned drawings there, and have a profile picture of my fursona every couple of months or so. Plus, the collar that I wear every day has a tag that says "Panda the Platypus"; even my grandparents have read it and asked what it was, haha.

I'm just paranoid of using the term "furry" =P So I usually just explain that it's a character
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:09:32 pm »
Do i talk about it? no. Do i go out of my way to hide it? no. Its just something i like to do, and have fun with. The only reason i dont talk about it is because we all know how people react to anything "different." I mean, my friends know, but only if they have asked about it for some reason. Then i tell them.
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »
Recently, my fursona has become less of character and more of an avatar. Essentially I made the progression from having an original character of my own, to having an anthropomorphic animal-character which embodies many of my traits and is just a representation of myself, to now were my fursona is now used exclusively to represent myself online within this fandom and no longer has any lore/fiction based around him. Because of this, I no longer feel compelled to show my fursona to others any more than I want to share any of the other avatars I use to represent myself on the internet. I think my fursona is best reserved for display within furry communities alone because I do not think anyone else will be highly interested with my fursona and because I think the usage of my character feels more relevant here.

I'm not personally afraid to show my fursona to anybody else (a lot of people already are aware of my participation within this fandom), what I am attempting to say is because of my recently diminished interest in my fursona and personal doubts that many non-furries will be interested in him, I now feel little urge to show my fursona to anybody outside of this fandom. Though I'd have no real issue with showing my fursona if someone who is not a furry asked me to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:19:30 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Craven

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 11
    • DeviantArt - Riskyfox1995
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
I don't bring up anything about my 'sona. I don't really care what everyone has to say, so I draw him freely. And if someone is curious enough to ask, I tell them a few things, and then we go our merry ways.

The only exceptions to the above is if I am talking to another furry. Then I might bring up a few things about my fursona.
To the covenant; I am a demon. To my enemies; I am a blade in the crowd. To the survivors of the nuclear holocaust; I am a legend. I do not fear Necromorphs; they fear me. In my travels I have slain everything from Aliens to Zombies, and even Alien Zombies! I am... a Gamer.

Offline Trystero

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 38
    • FurAffinity - trystero
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Belgian Shepherd)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:18:15 pm »
I really haven't seen any reason to mention or bring up my fursona. For one, I would only talk about it with another furry, and I have not had the chance to meet a person who is one yet. Also, I'm not much of a conversationalist, so I would have to wait for someone to actually ask me about it before I tell them. 

Offline Juno fox

• For the furs!
  • Red Level
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
It's kinda funny, I hint towards my friends that I know about furries, I even make prejudice jokes :P.... When secretly ...

Offline Rizzan

• Life is like a dissembled abacus...
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 17
  • ..it's what you make of it that counts.
    • FurAffinity - rizzan
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 12:44:49 am »
Im pretty open about my furryness with my friends and really anyone at school could tell you Im a furry especially now scines I found my tail again, I dont talk about my sona to really anyone and in all honesty I really just use it as a mask for teh interwebs and as a character I like and have some deep connections too but I don't necessarily consider myself to be me in day to day life but yes I am Rizzan here in the interwebs.
Avi done by Five.

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:29 am »
Well none of my friends are furries so I don't really talk about my "furryness".
#Ifeelpretty

Offline XxDawnshadowxX

• Harvester of Figs
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • Die Welt braucht mehr OOMPH! (*´∀`*)
    • DeviantArt - XxDawnshadowxX
    • FurAffinity - XxDawnshadowxX
    • LiveJournal - XxDawnshadowxX
    • Twitter - xxdawnshadowxx
  • Fursona Species: Siamese cat
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 05:08:19 pm »
Online I will talk about my fursona if I'm asked about her, usually with others who also have fursonas. I don't just start talking about her when there is no reason to. Offline, my best friend and I talk about our fursonas, same with my sister and her fursona. I'm open about my "furriness", I draw anthros all the time for my concentration in my art class and no one has said anything to me about it.
Essentially, I'll talk about my fursona only if I'm asked about her, otherwise I just keep that to myself.

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 03:07:51 pm »
I talk about it with my friends but only if they ask questions about it.
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:58 pm »
 My fursona is just an avatar of sorts for the online world. I don't really care to show it to people, since most people doesn't want to about it.

Offline Varjo

• Cookies: 0
    • FurAffinity - Varjo
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »
I don't talk about it. It's my personal business. Also - i don't care too much about being 'furry'. i don't use FA etc.

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 02:57:45 pm »
Yes and no, it depends on who. With my friends in school I am pretty open about it.  With adults not so much.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Draconian144

• Dreamweaver
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Hetero male 'nice guy' with a fiance... Sorry!
    • DeviantArt - ZeroOne2099
    • FurAffinity - Draconian144
    • Facebook
  • Fursona Species: Naga
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:18 pm »
I do keep the naga part about me to myself, but I identify as it and I have all the same traits...  It's more of a label, since I -am- the snake anyway.  My fiance plays the puppy all the time, and I encourage her to.  It removes the risk of duality, and gives her a unified persona.
"Always up or down for it"