Author Topic: wait, what(ancient technology buy (circa 1960's?))?  (Read 684 times)

Offline riccardo romano

• I'll try pretty much anything once.
  • Green Level
  • Candy: 16
  • then then go again just for a laugh.
    • DeviantArt - riccardo-tiger
    • FurAffinity - /riccardo/
  • Fursona Species: Siberian tiger
wait, what(ancient technology buy (circa 1960's?))?
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »
I recently (just today) bought an analog portable tv/radio. I just wanted to but it because it looked cool and did not expect for it to work. contrary to what one would think, the darned thing picked up a golf tournament. it uses 3 tv bands (i think that is what they are called). vhf-h, vhf-l, uhf along with the radio bands(am and fm). my question is, how does this darned thing work (for the tv bands) and why does it still word, I thought they switched to digital completely on the north american Continent. it was a couuently aired golf turnmante that I was able to revive the signal of. so why can I still use this? and how does the darned thing work?
“Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom...is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go. -Anthony Bourdain”
R/T

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candy: 403
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: wait, what(ancient technology buy (circa 1960's?))?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:00:31 am »
Low-power TV stations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_power_television) don't have the same timetable for transitioning to digital TV as full-power stations do/did.  From Wikipedia:

-Full-power stations had to cease broadcasting analog signals on June 12, 2009
-About 120 full-power stations were allowed to broadcast in small bursts for one month afterwards.
-Low-power stations on channels 52 through 69 had to cease broadcasting analog signals on December 31, 2011
-Low-power stations on other channels will be required to cease broadcasting analog signals on September 1, 2015

So, analog TVs may still work in select areas for low-power broadcasts, but only for a few more years.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candy: 119
  • Gonna get the thing!
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Hesk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:55:22 pm »
Low-power TV stations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_power_television) don't have the same timetable for transitioning to digital TV as full-power stations do/did.  From Wikipedia:

-About 120 full-power stations were allowed to broadcast in small bursts for one month afterwards.
-Low-power stations on channels 52 through 69 had to cease broadcasting analog signals on December 31, 2011
-Low-power stations on other channels will be required to cease broadcasting analog signals on September 1, 2015

So, analog TVs may still work in select areas for low-power broadcasts, but only for a few more years.

May I ask why do they force them to cease broadcasting analog? What if people still want to use analog?
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - heteroflexible
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
Profile Picture Drawn By: ThatWildMary

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candy: 403
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »

May I ask why do they force them to cease broadcasting analog? What if people still want to use analog?

To put it bluntly, it's about money.  Analog TV channels use a huge amount of bandwidth compared to digital channels, and the amount of overall bandwidth is a finite resource that the world is running out of.  By forcing TV stations off of analog channels, the government can sell the newly-unused band space at a huge profit to wireless internet providers.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3