Author Topic: Saving Private Ryan  (Read 825 times)

Offline Karasuthekitsune

• Whatever you think I am...
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 0
  • I AM TEH FOXEH! HEAR ME RAWR!
    • DeviantArt - Karasuthekitsune
  • Fursona Species: Kit Fox
Saving Private Ryan
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:10 pm »
I recently watched the movie Saving Private Ryan, and I feel that it deserves every bit of praise that it has gotten. It is a very well done movie, and it really displays the horrors of war, and in some parts, human nature. Though it can be fairly graphic, don't let that turn you off to this gorgeous movie. I've been interested in WWII for a while, and that attributed to some of the appeal, but even if you have no interest in the second World War, this is still an excellent movie.
I am the ocean
I am the sea
There is a world
Inside of me
Lost in the abyss
Drowned in the deep
No set of lungs could salvage me

Offline St. Thomas Equinas

• The Misanthropic Philosofur
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • We're all born to die...so start dying, all of ya!
    • FurAffinity - VictorDietrich
    • LiveJournal - Victor Dietrich
  • Fursona Species: North American River Otter
Re: Saving Private Ryan
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:54 pm »
I saw this movie the other day, and it was indeed an excellent work. Sadly it was one of those edited versions they show on television, but that didn't take away from it much at all imo. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was certainly more than your average war movie and a lot better as well! Good summary.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »
I did like the movie.

My favorite part was when the German stabs the American. NOT because i think it was cool, but because it shows how gruesome combat really is, and that is not just sensationalized call of duty crap. It makes you ask yourself if you could really do that to someone.
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline St. Thomas Equinas

• The Misanthropic Philosofur
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • We're all born to die...so start dying, all of ya!
    • FurAffinity - VictorDietrich
    • LiveJournal - Victor Dietrich
  • Fursona Species: North American River Otter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:59:02 pm »
I did like the movie.

My favorite part was when the German stabs the American. NOT because i think it was cool, but because it shows how gruesome combat really is, and that is not just sensationalized call of duty crap. It makes you ask yourself if you could really do that to someone.

That was the point in the movie I remember the most (minus the awesome ending with the tank) and I agree..it was disturbing, but it also made me think. The movie did a great job of displaying war as a traumatic, real experience and not a video game.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!

Offline worthless

• lest we forget
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 28
  • marf
  • Fursona Species: European short hair
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
Although stirring and the war film i grew up with i have to begin to analyse it i find it too shallow everyone's emotions are on the surface, my cousin came back from Afghanistan with the paras and really struggled to relay his feelings he was terrified yet calm it's  was scary, a mix of every emotion. It made me cry it changed him so much, he'd been through so much and lost 2 close friends. So back on topic i love the film for the way it portrays the war in it's gory detail but glorifies the Americans too much the British we're just as much involved alongside troops from other countries. The film should have been like The Pacific and Band Of Brothers one hour and thirty minutes doesn't allow for enough details to be shown.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria pugnadum

Offline ArtiLove

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Oh lo lo do I love you.
    • Twitter - SuperArtiLove
  • Fursona Species: Arctic River Otter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:59:50 am »
I agree with you 100% Alyx.  I also had someone very close to me, my cousin Ryan, (how ironic)  that had gone to Iraq.  He was injured during a bombing at the mess hall he was in, and he suffered from shrapnel being embedded into his skull.  They were able to remove most of it but there is still a bit of it left in him and he just isn't the same person since he's returned.
Remember that smile, the one you wore with such beauty and grace?  Where has it gone?  What has happened to put you in this miserable, lonely place?  Smile for me, even it may be the last time I see.  A picture I will take not for myself, no. A picture for the entire world to embrace the happiness you once shared with me.  Just smile...