Author Topic: homeschooled?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Gen200

• Born to heckle
  • Mince Pies: 0
  • Wait, what?
homeschooled?
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:41:23 pm »
Are there any homeschooled or unschooled furs here?

And what are your views on education in general?

Offline Shilo Wolf

• Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 1
  • Yay! Ice Cream!!!
Re: homeschooled?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:10:13 pm »
Yea super important. I wanted to do home schooling but then realized ive got too many friends at school. I also don't like the idea that its mostly self study. I prefer the teacher-pupil learning.i think its crazy what the pass rate is down here. 35% in government schools and 40% at mine. Says alot... At least I hit my A's and A+'s!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:24:04 pm by Shilo Wolf »

Offline Tell

• Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 2
  • Mewalicious!
    • deviantTell
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:19 pm »
I was homeschooled for about four years. I eventually went back and got into a normal high school.

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:03:58 pm »
During 6th grade...about halfway through 6th grade I was kicked out of the catholic school I was going to..they just didn't understand me....I think part of it was me being a furry and other half was my aspergers....if you are different in one single way..and the notice it..they don't like you and try to get rid of you any way they can...detentions left and right for thigns I never did. Teachers harrasing me and making fun of me and giving me detentions. That school was one fo the worst time of my life. I once was up at the board figuring out a math problem and the teacher kept harrasing and proding at my mind and I essentially broke down cried and ran out of the room and got a detention for that as well. I was only there for about 2 and a half years..and it felt like a eternity...and after that it was home school until 7th grade and public free education from there on out. Now college!

Education is important. One it keeps your mind at its top performance instead of slowly turning to mush from inactivity. Two you know what you need to like the essential math and english to help you out in the real world...like writing a resume, using math for paying your bills and what not and other math formulas for other things like home renovations and if you get a job that involves using math. Also so you can help your children with school work when that are stuck when you have them.

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:02:23 am »
Anyone can pass if they try.
People dont pass because they dont try.
Everyone thinks there's always an easy way out.
There is no easy way out.  I wish more drop outs understood this.
I have nothing against homeschooling.  Same concept applies.  You gotta try.

I have more honor for a mentally challenged kid who graduates, or a 3 year freshman who soon graduates, or even a drop out who's home schooling or getting a GED.

A drop out who just totally gives up... I have less respect for.

I agree with all of that. The Education system aint hard, but imo, whatcha learn doesn't help yeh overly much irl. You don't need a piece of paper to achieve great things. However actually having that bit of paper WON'T get you that amazing job you want, it'll only get yeh to the interview stage, then it's the person that they look at.

Home Schooling, I've know a couple of folk who got to Uni on home schooling. However, I reckon it only suits certain folks, I know I couldn't cope with it.

Offline Aerion

• The local mellow, game-playing, daydreaming, philosophical wolf-boy
  • Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 43
  • Remaining lives: 1
    • My scrap book of ideas and misc. (feel free to post)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 08:48:05 am »
Personally I have absolutely no respect for anyone failing any class, even for just a marking period, because I myself passed every single class every single marking period (including architectual design, or something along those lines, which I didn't sign up for but was just put into and had no idea how to do) with language and social barriers as well as having to adjust to a new system, and I'm lazy. In other words, there's no reason at all you should be failing short of either being a moron or having mental problems.

As for homeschooling, I don't care as long as they learn the same stuff, it's just another way of learning after all. I wouldn't recomend it for most people though, teachers are used to teaching after all, most people aren't used to teaching themself.

Education is, with no exception I can think of, the most important part of your life. How you act while in the age region where you get educated will in multiple ways decide how you will grow up, wether you think so or not. A person who never does homework but still passes because he/she aces everything else will probably grow up to become someone who never meets deadlines, even if they have told themself that they will work harder once they are out of school.
"Life's journey is not about arriving at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride""
"Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means you are two steps ahead"
"Invoke not common sense, for it is not common"
"A life without joy is a wasted one, and you got but one to waste."
"To touch the clouds, you need to reach for the stars"
Fantasy games are for n00bs, try playing a game about reality

Offline Sakura Wolf

• New FT Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:12:23 pm »
i hate public scool but its only fun because i have alot of friends to talk to.  the only reason i stay in scool is because they do

Offline nickrak

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 9
  • Grey Wolf
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »
I've been home schooled on and off for years, came back to "regular"school for HS and I'm going back to homeschooling for my senior year.
I'm not homeschooling because i don't get good grades, i have a 3.8. My family is in a bit of a money crunch, so skipping a year of private school tuition and homeschooling while taking classes at the community college is a lot cheaper.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Permanently Offline

Offline Foxious

• Red Level
  • FT Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:47:28 pm »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:32:03 pm by Foxious »

Offline NijiPaw

• Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:58:37 pm »
Never finished high school, too much drama. But I got my GED and am attending college at 18, as long as I can afford to keep going I plan to go tell I am a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.  Sorry have to squeeze the fancy title in at least once :3

Offline Seraph Vulpine

• Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 30
  • Dracul Va Domni Din Nou
    • http://www.myspace.com/tehjaadmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:02 am »
It's public School for me, Dun really mind it, 'cept they're gonna do Uniforms next year D=

Friend of mine is homeschooled. I don't think he's gonna get a very good education doing only an hour of work a day. Reason why he's homeschooled is cause of the kids harrasing him and the school didn't like his mom cause she wore a headress.
Seven years of age is he and already in bloody war
His eyes do not turn away from all that death and gore
Father Dracul and brother Mircea are riding by his side
Proud he is of his warrior father, no matter he lied!

Offline Eddy

• Blue Level
  • Mince Pies: 671
  • Gone for good.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 05:37:43 am »
I like the concept of School uniforms. It looks a whole lot smarter, and if everyone's wearing the same, you tend to lose the problems you get when folk get to wear what they want.

Offline Lynsey

• Alba gu Bráth!
  • Retired Staff
  • Mince Pies: 62
  • Your point is?
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:03:44 am »
I agree with what Rei-Rei says. I do not think home schooling is a bad thing I just imagine it gets awful lonely as you don't learn the same social interaction skills as you do when put in a school full of people you don't know. I was taught at home until I was 5 then I went to normal schooling from then on. I was a smart kid I could read and write though by time I got to school from nursery/kindergarten. My mum taught me well.

Alba gu bráth!
PouncedAd

Offline Ross Fox

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 5
  • Iiiii'm a crazy rabid squirel....I want my COOKIE!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 05:24:15 pm »
Our school uniforms were really bad. I dont like uniforms to start with, but ours had a loophole where you could still wear jackets and jumpers and stuff. So all the neds used this and wore their brightly coloured Berghaus jackets to school so really it made the uniform redundant, except I got moaned at when I wear a single black wristband ("I'm not sure it complies with the dress code blah blah drivel drivel") while Ned and Nedetta kept flushing peoples heads down the toilet and getting away with it. Basically, while uniforms should make pupils look the same, often, they dont. Loopholes and exceptions make some look different from others, and the same group rivalries continue. I hated that school

Sticking on topic, education is important, but as to homeschooling vs. public schooling I dunno, they each have advantages. Yeah, you do get less social interaction, but I guess the problems of bullying and such wouldn't affect a homeschooled kid as much. Personally I just wish people could learn stuff without needing to be made the subject of other's needless hate, but the fact of life is bullying happens. There are examples of people having to be withdrawn from school and taught at home because of how much they were bullied. But then, it also makes people stronger, having to put up with hell for someone's twisted pleasure. People come out better for it after school.

o.o I'm drifting off topic again so I'll just say, public school over homeschooling....but there still is a lot to be done to schools and the education system
My FA . How dull

"Its a non-stop disco betya its Nabisco bet ya didnt know, woohoo!"

Offline Lynsey

• Alba gu Bráth!
  • Retired Staff
  • Your point is?
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 07:49:28 am »
Oh yes Education systems have to be improved drastically but it's also people in society need to change.

Alba gu bráth!
PouncedAd

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 09:50:28 am »
I hated school uniforms. All the other kids would do is grab you by the tie and try to choke you with it.

Offline Rockaway Ralarare

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 2
  • Ghetto Ninja from Brooklyn
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 12:02:41 pm »
The academic aspect of education is easy, the social aspect of it is not.  Then there is always the factor of what happens at home.

Offline antiguine

• Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 3
  • Haiku Slamm'd!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:02:31 pm »
I don't mind where your schooled, as long as you can come up with your own opinions and back them up, and are fun to talk to. You could have been raised in a handbag for all i care, As long as you meet those criteria you rock.
"Don't eat my chicken wings!"

Offline Lynsey

• Alba gu Bráth!
  • Retired Staff
  • Your point is?
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 07:05:34 am »
I think school uniforms are great, creates a feeling of being part of a team and also creates equality as you wear the same stuff you can't say "My jumper is better than yours" etc.

Alba gu bráth!
PouncedAd

Offline antiguine

• Red Level
  • Mince Pies: 3
  • Haiku Slamm'd!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 02:04:18 am »
I think school uniforms are great, creates a feeling of being part of a team and also creates equality as you wear the same stuff you can't say "My jumper is better than yours" etc.

Oh i don't know. Its become more about accessories when uniforms are imposed. "My Accessories are better than yours." "nu-uh." Even though they ALL look the same.
"Don't eat my chicken wings!"