Author Topic: "Different" Species  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Adrienne

• Candies: 3
  • Fursona Species: Thresher Shark
"Different" Species
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:57:48 am »
I've heard a lot about how people are being too exotic with their species. Either that, or too simple. Example: Too simple/too bandwagon -- Dog, wolf, fox, anything along those lines. Too over the top/crazy for attention: too much species mixing (a dog-sheep-fire dragon hybrid or something), anything albino, sparkle-dogs, or something else the general public would find odd. So someone is either too plain, or being too "wierd" for attention. I don't think this, I've just heard a lot of talk about it. I'm honestly a little worried because I want to be accepted just as much as the next person, and from what I've read, that's gunna be harder than it looks. Also, I'm a Shark...that might cause an acceptance issue too. So, what do you think?
Anything is possible.

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Re: "Different" Species
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 01:29:11 am »
I would clarify what you're asking a little more? I think this belongs in General Chat, unless you're asking for debate/discussion over what's too "over the top" (which is what I first thought this thread was about)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:30:15 am »
Just pick something you will enjoy. It is supposed to be fun after all!  :fox-:):   But, if you do pick a 9taileddragonfoxzebralionwith27clawsandfiremaneandcontroloftheelementalsperits hybrid, it can be hard for an artist to get all the details,  if you decided to commission one. Thats my 2 cents.
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline ChamAltonB

• I like turtles
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
  • I like trains
    • Twitter - ChamsGhost
  • Fursona Species: Tox (Tiger/Fox) (Alts Kab-Snowy Owl and Bob-Penguin)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 01:37:31 am »
Um I wouldent want to be too simple and/or to flashy but I am a Tiger with the biuld/body structure of a Fox and a Fox tail If you want more check my dyscription...
FFT3acrw~CF3acrw A- C Dm H+++ M- P+ R+ T+++ W Z Sm++ RLM* a- cn+ d+ e-- f h* i j++ p sm

Ponies! *hugs*

Offline Adrienne

• Fursona Species: Thresher Shark
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:21 am »
To clarify, I'm asking your opinions/discussion on what would be too simple and/or flashy/over the top.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:37:35 am by Adrienne »
Anything is possible.

Offline ChamAltonB

• I like turtles
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 5
  • I like trains
    • Twitter - ChamsGhost
  • Fursona Species: Tox (Tiger/Fox) (Alts Kab-Snowy Owl and Bob-Penguin)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:29 am »
to clarify that is what I think would be in the middle in my thoughts
FFT3acrw~CF3acrw A- C Dm H+++ M- P+ R+ T+++ W Z Sm++ RLM* a- cn+ d+ e-- f h* i j++ p sm

Ponies! *hugs*

Offline Marcus

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 141
  • Fursona Species: Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:18:34 am »
I hate the shaming that goes around on fursona species.

If you have a canine, you're too common and unoriginal. If you're a hybrid with weird colors, you're trying too hard to be unique.

The point is it doesn't matter! If someone wants something simple or wants something over the top then just let them be!

This also seems more general to me. Moving.
My signature needs a change. It's been four years.

Offline Draconian144

• Dreamweaver
  • Red Level
  • Hetero male 'nice guy' with a fiance... Sorry!
    • DeviantArt - ZeroOne2099
    • FurAffinity - Draconian144
    • Facebook
  • Fursona Species: Naga
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:32 am »
I agree.  Do what feels right to you.  You used your feelings to come up with the species, so do what feels right to you.  Don't overthink it or underthink it, FEEL it.
"Always up or down for it"

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:47:55 am »
I hate the shaming that goes around on fursona species.

If you have a canine, you're too common and unoriginal. If you're a hybrid with weird colors, you're trying too hard to be unique.

The point is it doesn't matter! If someone wants something simple or wants something over the top then just let them be!

This also seems more general to me. Moving.

Basically this.
I don't really mind over-the-top species AS LONG AS they're not making it into a competition >_<
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »
I'll admit, I do sometimes wish that there was more variation among characters within this fandom, as it is a little tedious to constantly see animals like canids everywhere. Simultaneously, I also tend to dislike biologically-infeasible hybrid characters with bizzare colour palletes, because I personally often find their design too over the top for my liking. But really, I'm not one to complain or get mad about it.

This fandom is essentially intended for us to create characters and worlds; basically, it's 'super-mega-happy-go-lucky-fun-time'. I believe people can create whatever they want. And to quite frank, we're hardly ever going to extend character variation to regularly include ALL animal phyla — including incredibly obscure and unpopular species. I mean, how many times have you seen sponge, arthropod, mollusc, sea star, jellyfish, etc. fursonas? Instead you're going to see lots of animals like canids, felines, mustelids, equids, rodents, and ruminants. Those are all animals we are familar with and cherish.

For most of us, the decision behind each of our fursonas species is primarily based off of how familiar we are with the animal in question and whether we personally admire the species, not whether we think it is original or not. If it wasn't, we would see a lot more of the unpopular animals I previously mentioned. I also think it is mostly the same with the choice of hybrid fursonas, colour pallete, and general design as well.

What I'm trying to say is that while I do have my personal preferences on what constitutes a qaulity and original fursona, I still view it as rude to bash people because their fursona's design or species does not fit that specific criteria. I'm content with the fact that I know  I won't like every fursona out there and that people have different tastes. I also try to establish that I think most of us design the aesthetics of our characters after what we like; we don't usually design them for the sole purpose of making them incredibly unique.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:24:29 am by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 10:43:26 pm »
Noting is to over the top or to plan to me
Your species doesn't matter your color doesn't matter who you are matters.
Like your a shark, sharks are not my favorite animal but that doesn't mean that I  won't like you. your species should be whatever you want it to be and whatever color you want it to be who cares what anyone else thinks. That my opinion.
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.