Author Topic: Battery Life  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Ruari

• In yo house flippin' yo tables
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • Off to never never land
    • FurAffinity - Ruari
    • Twitter - Longbottom71
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Battery Life
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »
I've always been told if you don't let your phone, iPods, etc. battery die before charging it that it will ruin the battery life is that actually true?

"So pray to music build a shrine,Worship in these desperate times
Fill your heart with every note, Cherish it and cast afloat" - Machine Head

Signature by: Subzero

Offline worthless

• lest we forget
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 28
  • marf
  • Fursona Species: European short hair
Re: Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:48:19 pm »
It's called battery memory therefore yes it's true my old laptop battery would only last 5 minutes max before dying so my new ones always on charge so it never runs down and creates battery memory.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria pugnadum

Offline Ruari

• Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - Ruari
    • Twitter - Longbottom71
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:20 pm »
Alright that means I'll start letting my iPod dying before charging it thanks

Offline Emerald Night

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • Fursona Species: Unicorn
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:02:21 pm »
I dunno about that, my laptop battery only lasts about 3 seconds before it dies.
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 403
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:47:50 am »
Actually, that advice isn't accurate, and likely doesn't apply to any electronic device owned by anyone on this forum.

It's kinda-sound advice for NiCad batteries, which are typically only found in the form of rechargeable standard batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, etc), and even those aren't always NiCad.  Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries, which power every portable electronic device made in the last decade (including laptops and most cameras), have no memory effect whatsoever.  The reason people still apply it to all battery types is because, to put it bluntly, the general public is dumb and technicians are lazy.  Too many people have been told "all rechargeable batteries/devices exhibit the memory effect" by underpaid techs who don't want to explain that there are three different rechargeable battery types with three different charging behaviors (excluding stuff like lead-acid car batteries).

So, check the type of batteries used by the device (they're always labeled), and then do one of these:

-If it uses lithium ion (LiOn) batteries, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, discharge and recharge however you want.

-If it uses nickel cadmium (NiCad or NiCd) batteries, partial discharges will diminish battery capacity, but they can easily be reconditioned.  Advanced chargers for AAA/AA/C/D batteries will have a conditioning mode, so if performance is starting to suffer, run that.  If it's an electronic device with an integrated charger or a proprietary battery, run it completely dead every once in awhile if performance suffers.  Also, avoid "timer" chargers, they'll destroy your batteries.  Get a smart charger instead, it's worth the investment if you have something that takes NiCads.  Lastly, don't run NiCads completely dead for more than a few minutes, or in anything less complex than a late-1990s cellphone, this can cause their polarity to reverse, rendering them unchargeable.

-If it uses nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, follow everything I said about NiCad batteries, although NiMHs don't exhibit any sort of memory effect nearly as noticeably as NiCads, so it takes a lot of partial charge and recharge cycles to make any sort of impact.

-If you can't get to the battery, or you're not sure, basic internet searching ought to reveal the answer.  If it's a sealed-battery electronic device made in the last 5-10 years, including any Apple product, I can almost guarantee it's lithium ion.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Ruari

• Yellow Level
    • FurAffinity - Ruari
    • Twitter - Longbottom71
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:05:44 am »
Alright it turns out my iPod has a lithium ion battery so I don't have to worry about it thanks.

Offline Emerald Night

• Yellow Level
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »
Alright it turns out my iPod has a lithium ion battery so I don't have to worry about it thanks.

There is one thing you have to worry about. My Lithium Ion battery for my blackberry started to expand, pushed against some hardware and caused a white screen. Now I have to buy a new battery, and I cn't find a place that sells them.

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
My old laptop, which was a Dell Inspiron 9100 that was made in like 2003, had a Nickel Cadmium battery, and the last user apparently discharged all the time because it never lasted more than five minutes off of it's charger. But I don't have to worry about that now because my new laptop has a Lithium Ion battery that last six and a half hours.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Emerald Night

• Yellow Level
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
My old laptop, which was a Dell Inspiron 9100 that was made in like 2003, had a Nickel Cadmium battery, and the last user apparently discharged all the time because it never lasted more than five minutes off of it's charger. But I don't have to worry about that now because my new laptop has a Lithium Ion battery that last six and a half hours.

I got the Inspiron 1545. It has a Lithium Ion battery that lasts a whopping ten seconds.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:36:21 pm by Kaliburr »

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »
My life is pretty good, thanks for asking ^^

haha sorry I couldn't help it XP
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:52 am »
My life is pretty good, thanks for asking ^^

haha sorry I couldn't help it XP

Actually couldn't help but think of you the first time I saw this thread! XD
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Zukaro Travon

• Prince of Kenthar
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 13
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 02:27:50 am »
I've never had any issues of rechargeable batteries dieing on me despite how I use them (I never let them completely die and a lot of the time never let them fully charge either).  Or I just leave them plugged in forever.  :fox-:P: