Author Topic: Ability To Delete Posts  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Koty

• Purple Butt :P
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Gay Fur Pride
    • Twitter - kota4505
  • Fursona Species: Equestrian
Ability To Delete Posts
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:34:28 am »
I apologze if there was already a topic describing this. Kind of on a tight sched.

Does anyone think we should be able to delete any post you yourself made? I would like to delete a post I made. Say someone posted something and then realized it may cause a problem, and was too afraid to contact a moderator? This came to mind when I posted something that I really shouldn't have a while ago. And I couldn't delete it. So I contacted Gage.

But who else thinks we should be able to hide/remove our own posts?
"I would rather die on paws than live on feet" -Unknown

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
Re: Ability To Delete Posts
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:48:30 am »
I can see both why this is helpful and can cause problems (totally didn't just make a thread I shouldn't have). It's helpful for people to clean up mistakes, but it can make threads confusing if someone deletes older posts. also, people could delete incriminating evidence or start a flame war and then delete their post, making themselves seem innocent. It might work if there was a time limit on creation, like 1 hour to remove the post/thread after creation (so long as no one has replied) but after that, or if someone replies, you cant delete.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Koty

• Red Level
  • Gay Fur Pride
    • Twitter - kota4505
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:09:58 am »
It might work if there was a time limit on creation, like 1 hour to remove the post/thread after creation (so long as no one has replied) but after that, or if someone replies, you cant delete.

I was thinking of those exactr parameters as well. As long of a time limit Natasha prefers and so long as no one posted in it.

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »
No. Sorry. Only mods and admins can delete posts, and it'll stay that way.
Having members delete their posts will end up with it being abused. People deleting posts because they CAN, rather than because they need to.
We don't want that happening.

If you have a post that you're uncomfortable having up, please report it and say that, or privately contact the board mod or an admin and we'll take care of it.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Koty

• Red Level
  • Gay Fur Pride
    • Twitter - kota4505
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »
We know we cant. And were thinking of a way that keeps it from being abused.  Maybe once a post is delete its hidden hidden to everyone but mods and admins.

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:51:17 pm »
We know we cant. And were thinking of a way that keeps it from being abused.  Maybe once a post is delete its hidden hidden to everyone but mods and admins.

That's not even a function that the forum can do.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 593
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:28:36 pm »
Ohh no, I hope people aren't too afraid to tell staff D=

Also even if you could, the staff could see the post anyways
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Skiggy the Skag

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 26
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:52 pm »
Didn't Natasha include something about this in the rules? Wasn't it that two former members vandalized the site or something?

Offline Koty

• Red Level
  • Gay Fur Pride
    • Twitter - kota4505
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:21:40 am »
Oh well it was just a thought. :/ just tryina help the forums. Have an awesome day all! :D

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »
The reason post deletion is prohibited is because of the archival nature of this site.  Like a wiki, once you've posted a thread, it's out there for others to contribute to and enjoy.  The problem with unmitigated post deletion is that it gives a very disruptive option to everyone to use for any purpose, good or bad.  In the past, it's been used for bad more than good, sometimes with disastrous consequences.  It's the same reason why posts can't be edited after a week.

We do have the ability to have deleted posts go to a "recycle bin", which we've been using for a few years now.  Even when mods and admins delete a post, it's never truly gone.  However, it creates a logistic mess if used too much because if a thread is deleted, we have no way of knowing where it came from, and if it needs to be restored, we have to guess where it's supposed to go.

We don't have a method for restricting deletions based on conditions, so while we can say "you can only delete your own threads or posts", we can't put a time limit on it, or restrict that ability only to threads with no replies (which would be a pretty pointless ability anyway, it's rare to have a thread with no replies).  And if the first post in a thread is deleted, the entire thread is deleted, including all replies and any discussion that might've happened there.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Koty

• Red Level
  • Gay Fur Pride
    • Twitter - kota4505
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 06:12:37 pm »
You make some pretty valid points. But to clear up confusion about the deletion of posts so long as nobody replies, is in the time no one replied where the topic was just created. But you make the rules Natasha! :P haha. It was just a suggestion no worries. You may delete this thread or lock it. I would prefer locking it so nobody can post but everyone can view this for reference as to why we can't delete posts as normal members of the forums.