Author Topic: Introduction to Survival Horror... Halp meh? <3  (Read 634 times)

Offline ShilohxNeko

• Scottish-Korean!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Pagan, Pansexual, and Proud.
    • Merriment and Otherwise
  • Fursona Species: Cat - Bombay
Introduction to Survival Horror... Halp meh? <3
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:04:55 pm »
Okies.

So, I'mma be honest... I'm a very skittish kitten when it comes to video games. To the point of which, I have to blast Owl City as I play through the Ravenholm level on HL2 just to make it through.

Now, in groups of friends, I'm fine. It's just, alone, I have a terrible tendency of simply inching forward a few minutes in a scary game, pausing, collecting my wits, and then continuing on for another minute or two, which leads to very little progress.

So, in order to fix this, I tried playing Dead Space in order to get over my fears... and that kind of backfired on me.

I was wondering, then, is there a good series of games I could work up through in order to increase my tolerance for the scary stuffs? Like, starting with a less-scary game, then moving up to Dead Space and beyond?

Because, from what I've heard, games like Dead Space, Amnesia, F.E.A.R, and the like, really are awesome games, and I don't like missing out due to my personal hangups. :P

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
-Shiloh
Here lies the harbinger of merriment and otherwise.

Tumblr- http://www.shilohxneko.tumblr.com/

FFD[Bombay]4afr A- C D+ H+++ M P+ R++ T++++ W Z Sm RLAT a- c++ d+ e- f+++ h* iwf+ j+ p sm++

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 307
  • Hoofies down here.
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep
Re: Introduction to Survival Horror... Halp meh? <3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:19 pm »
If I am to recommend a horror game, how would something like Doom 3: BFG edition sound? It's a collection of re released Doom games including Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3. Doom and Doom 2 are rather old, if beloved and classic, first-person shooter games which will no longer be regarded as frightening anymore. Doom 3 is similar, except it is much more recent, as it was released in 2004 and because of that it offers a large upgrade in design, storytelling and gameplay. Despite the fact that it's still relatively old, it's graphic still hold up quite well today and there are some improvements to the game's lighting.

However, there are some factors which serve as a training exercise for adapting to scarier games. For example, this edition of the game is brighter than the original release of the game. It even gives you your own shoulder-mounted torch, saving you from endlessly having to switch between your guns and flashlight. And instead of being billed as a survival horror game, it now leans towards the horror action genre, as ammunition is dispensed more generously across the game. The enemy encounters also get a little repetitive and predictable at some points in the game; this could help you adapt to other horror games.

Despite these changes, the game can still leave you feeling tense at some points. The game's story, world, and demonic encounters are all unveiled quite well and it can still be creepy. It might be worth a play if you're looking to get into horror games and have never played any of the Doom games before.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:42:55 am »
Gage is right. The doom series is a good one. I remember when doom 3 came out. That game kicked ass!

Try the half life series too. Loved that one also!
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline shdowhunt60

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:34:40 am »
There was the Fatal Frame series on the Xbox and Playstation. I remember Fatal Frame 2 being extremely scary when it first came out.

Offline ShilohxNeko

• Scottish-Korean!
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Pagan, Pansexual, and Proud.
    • Merriment and Otherwise
  • Fursona Species: Cat - Bombay
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:19:39 am »
Hm, sounds good. ^-^ Never even thought about DOOM before... might be worth a try now, then. <3

And... I've heard of the Fatal Frame series. But I can imagine that that game would cause some... rather permanent damage to me. >.>

-ShilohxNeko
Here lies the harbinger of merriment and otherwise.

Tumblr- http://www.shilohxneko.tumblr.com/

FFD[Bombay]4afr A- C D+ H+++ M P+ R++ T++++ W Z Sm RLAT a- c++ d+ e- f+++ h* iwf+ j+ p sm++

Offline Salem Ambrogio

• Salem Kills Kittens
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 9
  • I've got a method to my madness.
    • DeviantArt - SalemKillsKittens
    • Amateur Website :D
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:09:13 am »
My advice would be to pick up a copy of Resident Evil, a copy of left 4 dead 2, and download Slender onto your pc if you have one. Those are some great games to get you through being outnumbered, chased unrelentlessly and suspense. After playing those games, DayZ and Combat Arms players are an easy kill.
kik: SalemKillsKittens