Author Topic: Revision Tips  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
Revision Tips
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that as exam time will roll back around at some point any exam revision tips that you find help you out feel free to post them here.
I'm always looking for new ways to revise and figured it might be a nice resource to have.

Personally I find that just rewriting previous notes helps me quite a bit, also doing practice papers as it gets you in the mindset of what the examiners are looking for :)

Snow
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
Re: Revision Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:55:13 pm »
Haha well for university they're exams are done until April! But for the ones in high school like me, it's almost time.

But it depends on the subject. For sciences and maths, I find the only way to remember how to do problems is to... well do them lol.

Personally I find that just rewriting previous notes helps me quite a bit

Yeah this is how I studied for my Canadian History exam last year. Also good for any other subject including math and science. If you need to memorize a formula or an important tip, this will work. After you know it, that's when you practice it. I find I memorize formulas better that way. But as for dates, people etc., rewriting the notes works for me. I hate it, but it works :/

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
I tend to archive information. Not just in my mind, but through all manners of things including notepads, YouTube playlists, document folders, and bookmarks on my browser. I usually look for information relevant to both my studies and academic interests. These normally include sciences like evolutionary biology, genetics, epigentics, anatomy & physiology, chemistry, anthropology, zoology, paleontology, and sources which dispel pseudoscience/poor representations of science. I find that it helps me out a lot. If I've forgotten anything I've recently learned, I can always go back and check my various sources of information.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:16:59 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Tigran

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »
Well, I do Biology, Chemistry and History at A2 level atm, best way for me is read and make notes. After i cover the whole syllabus, or w/e i need to learn i usually do past papers to see where the gaps in my knowledge is and then revise those.

1 More thing, my memory is visual, so maybe yours is too, try diagrams and memorising tables, for example i memorised a table of thermal stability of carbonates of nitrates of group 2, and if i think about it i can literally see the table with the info in front of my eyes, depends if on what kind of memory you got tho..
"You are waiting for someone, someone from a half-remembered dream. Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone."

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:18:54 pm »
When I revised pre-AS exams this year I was given time off from college, came home and found a really quite place up the far end of the house. I started revision in the mornings, early. My concentration is far sharper then. But between subjects, I took longer breaks. This came about after reading this, thanks to The Independent national newspaper which we get every day.  :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/top-10-revision-tips-for-your-final-or-firstyear-exams-8576161.html

I was particularly impressed with their revision timetable and adapted it to suit my own. And it worked really well!

I'm glad I found this link. For national newspapers and the sometimes the great info they produce, this is one thing that I so love about the www.

Offline Tigran

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:59:03 pm »
When I revised pre-AS exams this year I was given time off from college, came home and found a really quite place up the far end of the house. I started revision in the mornings, early. My concentration is far sharper then. But between subjects, I took longer breaks. This came about after reading this, thanks to The Independent national newspaper which we get every day.  :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/top-10-revision-tips-for-your-final-or-firstyear-exams-8576161.html

I was particularly impressed with their revision timetable and adapted it to suit my own. And it worked really well!

I'm glad I found this link. For national newspapers and the sometimes the great info they produce, this is one thing that I so love about the www.

Hmm i might try this revision time table with breaks thingy, i always did like 3 hours straight but after doing 30 min break in between hours i can see that was a bad idea, by the 3rd consecutive hour i wasnt getting any info in at all..
"You are waiting for someone, someone from a half-remembered dream. Don't you want to take a leap of faith? Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone."

Offline Access Denied

• Got Wheels and Gone
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 213
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

Hmm i might try this revision time table with breaks thingy, i always did like 3 hours straight but after doing 30 min break in between hours i can see that was a bad idea, by the 3rd consecutive hour i wasnt getting any info in at all..

Well.. you might also find these two links very useful for studying sometime in the future.

http://novella.mhhe.com/sites/0079876543/student_view0/freshman_year-999/study_skills1/weekly_study_schedule.html

http://www.studygs.net/

A Canadian friend gave them to me. When I was at college I adapted them. They became invaluable.  :)