Author Topic: How did you know you were a furry?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 150
  • ... For cookies >~<
    • DeviantArt - aspinonthings
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
How did you know you were a furry?
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »
Perhaps it's over-discussed, but I want to see why other people joined the fandom or knew they were a furry.

Me? I never realized it until recently, but I've really always been a furry. I have always found anthropomorphic characters more entertaining than humans. I got into the fandom after watching Fantastic Mr. Fox a few months ago (If you liked Fantastic Mr. Fox, watch Moonrise Kingdom. Both of them are by Wes Anderson, quite possibly one of my favorite filmmakers.).
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Never stop fighting anything, even if you are outnumbered.
-Banner by Xantera-

Online Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Candies: 287
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
Re: How did you know you were a furry?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »
I listened to alot of F.I.A.B (Renard) because my friend told me about the music. So I checked it out and wondered why all the music had anthros on the covers. So I googled Renard, I found out he was in the "furry fandom" which I then googled and read about.I read about the good and bad side of the fandom and I found the good side over powered the bad. I found it amazing and that's when I decided to make a fursona. That's how I found the fandom. I asked my friend if he was a furry but he said he was not.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:51:41 pm »
Hm, I'm not really sure...like a lot of people, I was a furry before I even knew what it was. I just remember browsing the skins on IMVU and being REALLY intrigued by the animal ones. So I bought a bunch, wore them all the time...and then got confused when everyone called me disgusting and left, haha

I'm not really sure how I found the word "furry" after that, but it happened. That was like six years ago, and now here I am :D
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »
Someone posted a tread on a forum that I used to go to titled "Would you call yourself a furry?". Intrigued, I did some more research and liked what I saw.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Dyce

• Captain of Obnoxious
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 38
  • I like Bacon
    • FurAffinity - DyceTheCollie
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:45 pm »
Well, when I was younger I googled something really random on images, and came across a picture of a mug with a furry on it. I had no idea what it was, and kept looking. I eventually found myself my one and only true fandom :blush-fox:

I also seemed to act like some sort of dog when i was younger, biting people instinctively till i was 9 or ten :blush-fox: don't worry not anymore! I still have a lot of dog like qualities though, giving my fursona a chance to grow
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:25:55 am by Dyce »

Offline Goat angst

• Your crazy ruler
  • Candies: 114
  • Mmmmm goat angst~
    • DeviantArt - crazymonkey45
    • FurAffinity - crazywolf45
  • Fursona Species: Crazy and spooky goat angst
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 03:28:48 am »
I don't really remember I sort of started two years ago, but there was many influences that got me started in the fandom. For starters whenever I watched a movie with some type of animal that could talk, walk regularly, etc. I would just smile and think they're awesome. Then I actually learned what a furry was thanks to a Thousands Ways to Die which in hindsight wasn't the best way to learn. After awhile I started searching them more intrigued with them. After awhile the searching led led me here a place that offered a helping hand or paw I mean and the rest you can say is history that has and is being made.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Tacos are the best kind of weapons!

Offline Dingo

• #Hashtags
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • Ruff! <3
    • FurAffinity - okamiix
    • Twitter - @DingoFTW
    • my furrafinity page
  • Fursona Species: wusky :) wolf/husky
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:05:19 am »
i'm kinda like panda, i was one before i even knew it :P
not only have i had a kinda animalistic type behaviour since i can remember, but i've been intrigued by anthropomorphic characters ever since i was little too.
my best freind showed me Twokinds one time, pretty much fell in love with it, my friend told me it was a furry based comic, did some research, and bam, it just seemed like this was made for me :)

Offline FurryPhil

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 43
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:56:41 am »
Well I'd always loved furry movies and artwork (Disney's Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, that type of stuff) so I've been a "furry" from a fairly young age without knowing it. Now onto how I found the fandom.

My brony friend had really been getting into dubstep and was trying to induct me into his ranks as a dubstep lover. Since I'm willing to try everything at least once, I researched for some dubstep and what happened to show up? Furries in a blender! I think the connection to the fandom is pretty obvious after this  :fox-:P:.

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 25
  • Some.. guy
  • Fursona Species: MAIN: Blue wolf ALT: Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:14:22 am »
I saw a video of anthrocon 2009 and I really wanted to go.

I loved the look of the fursuits and wanted one.

So I'm back :3
Hugs given = 0

Geese suck >:I

Offline Eyflamm

• The Ankou
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • I'm the only me... well unless I was cloned
    • DeviantArt - Fang-Shan-Yuan
    • FurAffinity - Eyflamm
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »
I've always been a fan of the art even made my fursona before I realized the it was a furry it wasn't 'til a few years ago I realized it was called being a furry and considered myself one since.
I'm Christian, homosexual, and a  furry those don't mix very well but hey that's life :)

Offline Banshee

• SCIENCE FOR THE SCIENCE GOD!!!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • WARNING! MAY CAUSE MAD SCIENCE
  • Fursona Species: Winged blue-fox alternate: Puffin
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:24:33 pm »
Honestly I think I've been a Furry since I was maybe 1 or 2, being that both my parents are military and I ended up spending more time with my pets (mostly my pet Fox Maggie) so I guess that's why I act like a Fox. So when I heard of furry's I looked it up and found more people like me (I respect to liking animal-people) so I just joined
Live Hard, Have Fun, and Sail Fast.

"It was going well until it exploded"- Scott Manley

LOGIC IS FOR THE DAMNED!

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 150
  • ... For cookies >~<
    • DeviantArt - aspinonthings
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 04:30:40 pm »
Honestly I think I've been a Furry since I was maybe 1 or 2, being that both my parents are military and I ended up spending more time with my pets (mostly my pet Fox Maggie) so I guess that's why I act like a Fox.

You had a pet fox? That's so cool! Are they nice pets?

Never stop fighting anything, even if you are outnumbered.
-Banner by Xantera-

Offline SpiffyLittleRascal

• Candies: 0
  • PM Me any time you like.
  • Fursona Species: Borzoi
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »
One word...Disney.

No but really I have always enjoyed animals taking on human characteristics and the like, feral or anthro but I've never knew what a furry was or that I was one until I was around 12 while I was on YouTube browsing and found wonderful videos of people making and wearing these beautiful animal costumes of characters they have made up and they where making others laugh and smile and have fun young or old and I knew that's something I wanted to do too either with costume,drawing, comic or animation.  :fox-:):
My Dragon Cave Eggs

Offline Banshee

• SCIENCE FOR THE SCIENCE GOD!!!
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • WARNING! MAY CAUSE MAD SCIENCE
  • Fursona Species: Winged blue-fox alternate: Puffin
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:54:39 pm »
Honestly I think I've been a Furry since I was maybe 1 or 2, being that both my parents are military and I ended up spending more time with my pets (mostly my pet Fox Maggie) so I guess that's why I act like a Fox.

You had a pet fox? That's so cool! Are they nice pets?

I can't speak for pure bred Fox's, as Maggie is only partly a Fox about 60-40 between Fox and shiba inu. she was bred as a hunting dog in Japan, and is extremely loyal and friendly pulse she will bring home phesents and small animals. so I'd say their very good dogs :fox-:):
Live Hard, Have Fun, and Sail Fast.

"It was going well until it exploded"- Scott Manley

LOGIC IS FOR THE DAMNED!

Offline Dyce

• Captain of Obnoxious
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 38
  • I like Bacon
    • FurAffinity - DyceTheCollie
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »
until I was around 12 while I was on YouTube browsing and found wonderful videos of people making and wearing these beautiful animal costumes of characters they have made up and they where making others laugh and smile and have fun young or old and I knew that's something I wanted to do too either with costume,drawing, comic or animation.  :fox-:):

This right here <3

Offline Piper The Wolf

• Friendly Wolf ^^
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Wolf forever
    • DeviantArt - Piperpiper7
    • FurAffinity - Piperpiper7
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:07 pm »
It's quite confusing to say, I just heard of the fandom from a friend, and soon enough I looked into it, made some great friends... i was already infested with the love of wolves, and I liked everything about it ^^ I met extremely nice people too!  I loved to RP as a wolf in chats with the friends I made, heh, I am proud to be a wolf furry!
Piper~Wolf

Offline Cara

• 愛はすべてのことを耐える。
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 8
  • じろじろ見ないでくださいね?
    • Tumblr.
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 08:17:46 am »
I was exposed to it in a more controlled amount, during my freshman year, by my friend, and a senior, Kyle. He was the school's only furry, although not totally openly. He wore his collar, and tail, on occasion.
He showed me the fandom, in small bits (while avoiding the NSFW art, and all), and knowing that it existed, it was always in the back of my head. Before then, I knew next to nothing, and thought everyone in the fandom owned their own custom-made fursuit, which I thought was cool already. xD
Eventually, however, as I got older, I slowly began to slip into the fandom, and I've been there ever since. When the talk of fursonas arose, when I truly gave thought to it, I knew that I was a bunny.~
  • Pronouns: She, her, hers.
[ ❤ ]

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:46:31 am »
Well, Australia day 2012, there was a LAN party for my cousin, his friends and I. I knew my cousin was a furry, but never really thought much of it. Anyway he showed me art artwork, sadly, an hour later, my computer started to not work properly, so at this LAN i had to reinstall windows. Decided to google the fandom more on my laptop, and i stumbled across the whole thing to do with the fandom.

3 days later, on my birthday, i joined the local Perth furry community website, and it went from there.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline JouleTheFox

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • Once a furry always a furry
    • DeviantArt - rainbowdash24191997
    • FurAffinity - shadowthefox2419
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 09:48:47 am »
I just noticed about 10 years ago. I mean I always loved disney movies when i was younger. Then when I grew up I had friend who drew furries. So once I asked them what was that drawing about. They said it was their fursona. I asked what a fursona was since I had no idea. They just simply pointed to few videos and websites. It looked interesting to me so I did some more like viewing things not the bad side but the good side. Then my friend asked me about a week later if I liked the fandom. I said yes. Then they asked me how I felt about fursuits. I instantly said I wanted one.
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/She/Her/Hers
pm me or add me on any of my social sites linked with this site. Always glad to meet new people.

Offline Dustin

• I like cuteness. I like cute people. I like talking cute. I like cute furries. I like cute everything <3
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 7
  • Don't be a whoreo, be a beautiful sandwich cookie.
    • Twitter - FureverWolves
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »
I consider my self more of an anthropomorphic enthusiast than a furry. however I love anthropomorphic animals and though I haven't joined the fandom I joined this site to meet more people with this interest.
Dustin ^.^ photo creds to Colour! ^.^