Author Topic: How did you know you were a furry?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Anwyll

• Sorry for the pencil drawing, I want to make tweaks later
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • "I EXPLODED A GOBLIN!! WITH THIS STICK!!"
  • Fursona Species: Bear
Re: How did you know you were a furry?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 05:33:04 pm »
I grew up watching Disney, so that sparked my love of Anthroes, and when I found the fandom, I just dove In!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he him his
Why not put some lemonade on his wounds?
In A'kyria
Friend: I pay five gold to make sure this letter gets to him.
Me: Wait, can his character even read?
Him: ...No...

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 06:40:12 pm »
I consider my self more of an anthropomorphic enthusiast than a furry. ~snip~

I'm in this boat as well. Although to be fair, I think that if asked, most people, myself included, would say that anthro-enthusiast is contained in the term furry. (holy commas, batman)

Anyway, that's been the case for me since forever ago when I read the Redwall books and loved them. I think I was about 9 or so. I kinda gravitated toward anthro themed stuff since. I didn't know there was a term for it until I really went on the internet seriously around 14, 15 years old, and found this neat online Redwall themed war game (Redwall: Warlords) and met a bunch of friends, like Krowdon and others.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Célestin La Rue

• Colombe Céleste
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 34
  • Voler au-desses!
  • Fursona Species: Dove
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 10:59:21 pm »
      How does anyone know they're a furry? It's not really something you're just born with thinking that you're a furry. I think it's not natural intuition that determines if you're a furry or not. I believe being a furry is a choice. Personally, I was just experiementing with the furry society and I decided to fully immerse myself into the fandom after I discovered how good furries can be. I didn't really know I was a furry. To be honest, I had the stereotypical view of what a furry is up until I actually encountered real furries. It was such a shock to see the difference between what people think furries are and what furries really are. There's a huge difference between prejudice and reality with this. If you think of it, we just joined the furry community like a club instead of coming from the womb howling like a wolf. We do break the chains of who we are as humans through being a furry, but we've acknowledge the chains. In reality, we don't have swift tails or perky ears and we never really thought of it until we discovered furries. Once we have found it though, we feel at home here and we feel like it's somehow natural. It's a natural we create through our own freedom.
  • Pronouns: He, Him, His

Offline Empire

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • I hold a beast, an angel, and a madman in me.
  • Fursona Species: Tiger
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 10:40:46 am »
Oh wow, I got into the fandom when was 8-9 when I saw an animation. It was by BaniTheKitty and that sparked my interest. I started drawing anthros and I've been in the fandom ever since. I roleplayed on forums with other Furries and I felt accepted, I even got a friend into the fandom! Now that I'm in 7th grade, I recently discovered another furry in my grade after showing him some of my art, it was awesome.
  • Pronouns: She/Her, female pronouns!

Offline Sekuto

• The Salty Dragill
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • All The Things
  • Fursona Species: Dragill (a land dwelling species of dragon that descended from the sea serpent)
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
Oh it was simple for me. I think that one day my friends were hating on us furries and when I got home I looked the fandom up and then BAM! before I knew it I had watched every anthrocon video in existence and was making an FA account. I had always liked anthros though just never knew about the fandom until about two years ago.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:55:16 am by Sekuto »
  • Pronouns: Him/His/He
Reality is a perspective of the mind, the mind is a perspective of your consciousness , you consciousness is a perspective of your soul, if your perspective is to serious you will never see all of the color in the world.

Offline WolfyHasPie

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 10:57:08 am »
I always liked anthros and when i heard about the fandom I knew

Offline Diazi

• I'm Diazi
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • An awesome gift
    • FurAffinity - Diazi809125
    • Twitter - IanDiaz51721380
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 11:19:34 am »
I liked the art and the fursuits. I got into it really fast.

Offline Dustytuft

• Cookies: 4
  • Furry Trash ™
    • FurAffinity - Dustytuft
    • Twitter - Dustytuft
    • Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Maned Wolf
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:09 pm »
Loving the toony anthropomorphic Disney and Don Bluth film characters when I was a kid. Also unknowingly made a fursona when I was little, just thinking it was a funny comic character I made.

Feel free to message me or something lmao.
I am Groot.

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 830
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 09:04:34 am »
To me being a furry is more so a hobby than an identity so I never really "knew" I was one. I discovered the fandom back in 2014 on YouTube and did some more research into it before realizing it was something that sounded interesting and that I wanted to get involved in. For me it was a choice not a form of self discovery
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline Why do you care

• I'm tired of being bullied.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Screw you all.
  • Fursona Species: Who cares.
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 10:40:42 am »
I liked the fur suits and several anthropomorphic Pokemon so like I slowly and slowly became pne

Offline Lambda Lumis

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 19
  • There's nothing worse than wasted opportunity.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:44 am »
I have always like the art style but never knew it had its own category and a fandom. Eventually after finding out about this I joined.

Offline Vanity

• A True Vanity
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • Prideful and Pure
  • Fursona Species: Norweigen Fjord Horse
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:15 am »
I knew I'd become a furry when I realized how awesome it was to be any animal you wanted to be and have a character that's uniquely yours. Not only that, but the community seemed to be very kind which also pushed me towards becoming a furry. I've been a furry for quite a while now and I don't regret the decision.
“What people regard as vanity—leaving great works, having children, acting in such a way as to prevent one's name from being forgotten—I regard as the highest expression of human dignity.” ~ Paulo Coelho

Offline Xneil-Bones

• Two faced witch.
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • Just a witch doing witchy things.
    • DeviantArt - sugar-lore
    • FurAffinity - stitched-box
  • Fursona Species: Pinata
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 11:44:09 am »
When I had a crush on Simba :V

I found fursuit dance and con Videos!
  • Pronouns: They/them/their

"I am an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge, knowledge is limted. Imagination encircles the world."

Offline Lucius.

• Friend please...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 187
  • Fursona Species: Wolfdog
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:48 pm »
About 2 years ago because that's when I got into watching con videos.
Icon by Nagi. :rose:

Offline Tappie

• Psychology & Sociology Reasearcher.
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • Who Am I?
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »
And i standing here and be like :
I found (toony) fursuit dance and con Videos!

NO, the real reason is a desperate moment on early 2016..
and i choose a place where people are accepting and don't care about whoever they hug, they have their own unique form and not really care about the real life one..

And i can feel myself safe and comfortable with unknown people arround me.. since i'm one of the unknown
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Four Legendary Hunters are here.
To defend innocents, and Seize all villain.

Offline Dustin

• I like cuteness. I like cute people. I like talking cute. I like cute furries. I like cute everything <3
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Don't be a whoreo, be a beautiful sandwich cookie.
    • Twitter - FureverWolves
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:04 am »
      How does anyone know they're a furry? It's not really something you're just born with thinking that you're a furry.
[/quote
*wakes up one day* "OH MY GOSH I LOVE ANTHROPOMORPHICS" XD
Dustin ^.^ photo creds to Colour! ^.^

Offline Spike (Kurozilla)

• icon by •Sparrow• on Furry Amino
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • Godzilla's fluffy son
    • FurAffinity - sleeqyash
  • Fursona Species: Kaiju
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 06:44:01 pm »
I guess I've always been one. I was always interested in drawing animals when I was younger and never humans. Guess I just preferred their cuteness. I was also introduced to the fandom when I was in a roleplaying group on a site, a LOT of furries ended up following me. I didn't mind though, since I thought it was really cool how they had their own characters and art and stuff like that. Eventually I decided to research the fandom and I discovered it was something I wanted to be part of, and I'm so glad I did :D
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: any (preferred: she/her/hers)
-----------------------------------------
You're awesome. Don't forget that.
Now, I'm off to destroy a couple cities and roar at people. (Insert Gojira screech)

Offline Alastair

• You're here today, no future fears...
  • Cookies: 155
  • ...this day will last a thousand years.
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:27 pm »
When I was really young, I used to love animals and assign personalities to all my stuffed animals and toys (of which I had a BUNCH of), and I guess there's an element of that that's stayed with me? I also used to draw anthros before I knew what they were, and when I found the fandom I was just like, "Okay, this sounds pretty cool."
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold

Avatar by okayyourgrace on Chicken Smoothie, signature image by Niluna on Chicken Smoothie.

Offline North Winds

• Pony
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 67
  • function North() {
    • DeviantArt - NorthWindsMLP
    • Twitter - @MLP_NorthWinds
  • Fursona Species: Pony
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 09:14:58 am »
I actually mostly joined the fandom because of fursuits, I was always into costumes, but then later when I found about the art and all the other stuff, that's when I knew I was a furry.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
You can censor us, but you can't take away our freedoms!

Offline Kobe

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
    • FurAffinity - Kagemori
  • Fursona Species: Siberian Husky
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 02:11:36 pm »
I've enjoyed anthropomorphic characters since I was young, primarily from pokemon (especially with the Mystery Dungeon series), but I never heard of the fandom until about a little over a year ago. Around the time my cousin got me to watch Digimon which lead me to become obsessed with it. I wanted a photo of one of my favorite digimon, WereGarurumon, but it's shadow variant from one of the later series, as my phone wallpaper. While looking I came across this artwork which I had originally found on FA, and well I guess you can figure out what happened next :lol-fox:

[Interesting/Useless Trivia]: When I first joined I wanted to make a fursona and I made one based on my obsession with Digimon, so I created a WereGarurumon that had a unique (OC, I guess) evolution path which I called "Soul Evolution" (It's different from Spirit Evolution lol) and he would transform into "SoulGarurumon", however I scrapped the idea because it stemmed from my obsession at the time and I so I instead created my current fursona and I guess I gave tribute to the "digi-sona" by giving my current one a cyborg-ish transformation ability (Which I guess could be asort of "evolution"). Also if you're wondering why in my signature, the steam username is "Soul Garurumon"  it's because I thought it sounded cool so I use it for almost every game that needs a username :lol-fox:
"And so the dust finally settles."