Author Topic: Aspiring Game Developers  (Read 314 times)

Offline TodTheFox

• Unity Developer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 51
Aspiring Game Developers
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:01 pm »
Hey everyone, Tod here! Some of you may remember me from forever ago, but most of you will probably be thinking to yourselves, who dis?! Well, I'm back now for who really knows how long but while I am here I've got something I'd like to try:

How many of you are interested in learning the basics of Unity and C#?
Poll:https://www.strawpoll.me/16319615

I am considering doing a series of live lectures for the members of FT. The lectures would assume no previous coding or Unity knowledge so it would be a good way to get your start. I would likely be streaming them on Twitch unless I can get YouTube to authorize my account. I am currently looking at streaming on Saturdays. However, I am willing to work with all interested parties to find a time that best suits everyone. If I am able, I will upload recordings of the lectures for later viewing if you miss one.

During the lectures, you would be able to ask questions and get live help from me and/or your peers. Should someone feel I am going to fast I can adjust my pacing or re-explain some things differently as needed. At present, I am looking at hour-long lectures as an ideal time frame but I can look into alternative lengths if this doesn't work out.

Prerequisites

I would be covering the latest version of Unity, 2018.1, to ensure all material shown are current. To participate you would need a computer capable of running Unity 2018.1 and Visual Studio Community. Both Unity and Visual Studio Community have free versions available for commercial use. If you do not wish to use Visual Studio, you can use Mono Develop which comes prepackaged as part of your Unity Download. Bear in mind however that I will be using Visual Studio so my code editor will look different from yours. I highly recommend using Visual Studio for the lectures so everything matches up nicely but if you are already somewhat experienced with coding, feel free to use whatever IDE is most comfortable to you (provided it supports C# and Unity!).

First Lecture

Starting off I want to split the first lecture into two sections: The first half will cover just the Unity Engine User Interface and how to use it. I would run through some exercises just working with objects in the game engine. Perhaps we will set up a simple scene or level background. In the second half, I want to dive into some coding and teach the core fundamentals of C#. At the end, participants should have got to complete very simple most likely text based game and gotten the chance to explore the engine.

Beyond the First Lecture

Moving forward I would like to set up a poll where participants can vote on the type of game they would like to make. I will have a set prepared options for the poll but I will also take suggestions from members on the forum (participant or otherwise.) Bear in mind, to ensure I am providing the best learning experience I can, I will retain the final say in what options are put into the voting pool. (I Do have to code the game in advance of each lecture so I have an idea of what to do it when I program it again live. And so I can know where I could set challenges for participants.) I will provide all necessary art assets for the game project as needed. They will, however, most likely be Public Domain assets pulled from Open Game Art. I will still credit and link of course. Using the process taught, participants will be able to import their own assets should they so wish. (Reminder, I will not be teaching art asset creation but I may briefly cover some conventions to follow so art imports nicely into Unity.)

By the end of it, I aim to have covered enough material to give participants the tools they need to go out and start making their own self-driven projects in Unity. I can't hope to cover everything participants will need to know in what will likely be such a brief time (comparatively speaking.) So I will provide guidance and options for their next steps in their learning journey. This would not be a beginner to master series, more like an introduction that can get participants going. I cannot say at this time if after completing the game I will continue the series. That depends heavily on how it all goes and what my schedule is like.

Closing Notes

I don't expect to cover Version Control in this series but I may change my mind, if I do, we would cover Github and Source Tree.

Given the limited time-frame, I am unsure if I can find the time in the lectures for people to do challenges I set so they can get experience solving problems on their own. Currently, I am leaning towards setting challenges at the end of lectures and then reviewing the solution during the next one so everyone has time to think about a solution (or reach out to me over DM if they need extra help).

During the series, it would be highly advisable for participants to work alongside me so they can get experience with the engine and can complete the challenges. I will try to pace myself so everyone can keep up but I would also provide complete copies of my assets folder at the end of each lecture as a .zip.

(I will amend to this as needed)

Contribute?

If you already have Unity experience and would like to help out, It couldn't hurt to have someone to look over the learning material and provide early feedback and or assist with answering questions in chat or on the forum. If you are particularly adept with Unity and interested, I could see my way to bring on at least one partner to help with the development of the learning material and prototyping of the code. A solid understanding of Unity and Version control would be required to fill that role though. (Proof of work in the form of prior completed games required.)

Artists!: For those interested, there is potential to contribute art assets to the series for use by the participants during the second stage. However! There is a lot of ways this could go horribly wrong. (Legal and drama nightmares and all that.) So, for everyone's sake (but admittedly mostly mine). I am going to be very selective with who I work with and very explicit with the terms of our arrangement. That said, I will still release the art guidelines and anyone who wants to make art will have the opportunity to do so. I simply will only include art assets from artists I work directly with in the package provided to participants.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:31:44 pm by TodTheFox »

Offline TodTheFox

• Unity Developer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 51
Re: Aspiring Game Developers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:06:22 am »
TL;DR Version of the above post:

I am strongly considering doing a series of Unity Livestreams just for interested Game Developers here on Furry Teens who want to learn the Unity Engine. Selection of Games Made with Unity. I am aiming to cover the basics of C# and walk through the creation of a game from start to finish. However, given the limited number of responses, I may cover more advanced topics (see below for more details.) My hope is to find a time to stream that works for everyone that is involved so that everyone can get the most out of the live training. However if possible I should like to upload stream recordings as private (Link only) videos on my youtube channel so that participants can rewatch them at need anytime they need.

Update

Well it's been a month but this post has gotten up to three response on it now if those three people who voted on my straw poll are still interested, I can move forward with preparing the live streams. For those who voted, please post here on the thread or reach out to me over pm to confirm your still interested. Then I can work with you to (hopefully) find a good time to stream that works for everyone. Additionally, so I would like to know your current level of experience with Unity. If everyone is passed just making their first game I will gladly teach more intermediate and advanced topics of C# and Unity.

For anyone who still has no idea what I am on about, I have included a TL;DR version of the above post and am re-linking the straw poll where you can vote here: Poll (Though at this point it is more useful to get names of people who are interested in participating so I can find times that work in their schedules.)