Author Topic: Music - Guitar speed picking - Help?!  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • Some.. guy
  • Fursona Species: MAIN: Blue wolf ALT: Phoenix
Music - Guitar speed picking - Help?!
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:39:41 pm »
Hey guys, I don't know if I'm posting in the right board here, but it's kind of education related..

I was wondering if there was any of you that play guitar, and or have played guitar in the past that could help me learn a few tricks on how to pick faster? :S

I'm talking about Drop C open low E string sort of stuff.. Like a lot of death-core bands do.. I can get it sounding right, It's just really slow.

Also if you guys know of any speed improving licks of any kind, that'd be really helpful.

Thanks <3
~Fenix
So I'm back :3
Hugs given = 0

Geese suck >:I

Offline Rocko Ziggs

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 24
  • Friendly Neighbourhood Rocker-Coon
    • FurAffinity - RockoWolfcoon
    • Twitter - almightyrocko
  • Fursona Species: Wolfcoon
Re: Music - Guitar speed picking - Help?!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »
Every guitarist will probably tell you practice practice practice, and that is true! Though there are some very useful tips such as how you can hold you pick in different ways, string gauge and action. PM me if you wanna chat, i may be able to help out here and there. I've been a guitarist in the art of rock/metal for over 5 years.

-Rocko

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:47:02 pm »
I also only have a 0.6mm plectrum and a 0.5mm plectrum.. Which one would be better? S: Also, thanks for replying so quick!

If it's any help to know what sort I mean;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XVbfDb-NI

I think it starts around 0:13
Hugs given = 0

Offline Rocko Ziggs

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »
How long have you been playing by the way?

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:06:15 pm »
I've had the guitar for 7 years, started playing around a year ago, but I stopped over christmas.

I got my current electric (My first) Last christmas.. 2011.
Just picked it back up.
Hugs given = 0

Offline Rocko Ziggs

• Orange Level
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:40 pm »
i recommend that you get yourself some .88mm plectrums, those will help you get the chuggy speed picked riffs. Go slow of course at first and keep practising, also you could use a metronome to keep yourself in time. You'll get faster over time :3 It wont take to long, also look up triplets and alternate picking. These are key in deathcore! Look up what i'm telling you on youtube as well, there are some very good tutorials that helped me when i was trying to learn thrash metal riffs.

It might be a good idea also to restring your guitar with 10 or 11 gauge strings, great for drop C and getting everything to sound much better.

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02:43 pm »
The technique i believe is called "tremolo" picking. I recommend a more pointed pick for it. One like this:
http://www.oocities.org/skeeter_spice/dirgeglass.jpg

Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline Minton Greene

• YO
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
    • FurAffinity - autumnbane
  • Fursona Species: Weasel/ Fallow Deer mix
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:03:12 pm »
^Like what he said. Thicker picks are important. Also use a metronome (helps so much), start out slowly, then gradually speed up as you are comfortable.

Offline DjentlemanFurry

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 39
  • How do I cookie? Add me on Skype: TheColtonFactor
    • FurAffinity - TheColtonFactor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:50 pm »
Ok, I had this problem too, but the best thing I found were the Dunlop carbon-fiber jazz picks. They are very small, make it easy to use pinch harmonics, and allow you to pick extremely fast. Trust me, I have my 6-sting down tuned to the lower of an 8-string, which is an extremely low F. And I can still tremolo. Also, I suggest using the super slinky stings, they are much tighter and easier to pick on.

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »
I think that starting to learn how to speed pick with lower tunings is bad for you in the long run.  The thing is with really low tuning, your strings become really lose.  Without proper right hand palm muting, it doesn't really matter how fast you can pick, since it'll sound like mush without proper control of string resonance.  The most important thing when playing all of those chugging type riffs is to keep your playing tight.  This can add an additional thing to worry about, especially when first learning how to speed pick.  You would simultaneously have to learn applied palm muting as well as clean and consistent clan picking.  However, if you are intent on learning how to speed pick using drop tunings, always be aware to keep palm muting no matter what.  Other factors such as your EQ or amplifier gain can contribute to the tightness of your playing. as well, so keep that in mind. 

Anyways, to learn how to pick faster, I'll just echo what other have said here.  Be sure to play with a metronome.  There are various online metronomes such as this: http://www.metronomeonline.com/  There are also quite a number of free apps on the iTunes store for your iPhone.  Start by learning a simple scale such as the basic Minor scale or Major scale.  Start off by just memorizing the scale.  When you have that down, start really slowly.  Something like quarter notes at 80 BPM.  My old teacher said that if you can do it perfectly 10 times in a row, you can move up the BPM by 1.  But I know that takes a long time, so you can go up by like 2 or 5.  Move at what speed is comfortable with you.  Then you can move on by doing that over the circle of fifths.  But that's a lesson for some other time.  There's also good but advanced instructional vids I linked at the bottom of my post. 

Also with guitar strings, there are a couple of companies that make light top heavy bottom string gauge sets.  You get the heavy gauge for the bass strings while you still get the high gauges for the treble strings.  Most string sets lower than .11s can cause intonation problems, mess up the nut unless properly cut, or set off the truss rod off if you don't know what your doing.  You could get away with .10s like I do really. 

I also wouldn't say that without type of pick, you can't play all of that heavy stuff.  It'll just be a little harder that's all.  I personally recommend using heavy picks with pointed tips.  Sorta like Dunlop Jazz III's.  When playing with light picks, it tends to become harder to control when playing aggressive, fast parts.  The pick isn't thick enough to rebound in time to keep up with heavy riffing.  Same can be said for fast single line passages as well.  However, some people prefer lighter gauge picks because of the quality of their attack.  It's just harder to control than heavier picks.  I can go more detailed into picking technique if you like.  Just ask and I'll go into detail about anything I've gone over in the post. 

Here are some things that helped me with speed picking a couple of years ago.  You'll find speed picking licks of all kinds here:  Micheal Angelo Batio, Get Out of My Yard by Paul Gilbert, Paul Gilbert's Terrifying Guitar Trip, and a bunch of John Petrucci videos all over Youtube.  This one small thing helped me a lot:  http://www.intimateaudio.com/psycho_licks.gilbert.html  Out of all the material I ever played, I played those exercises the most.  Pay very close attention to the first excerpt.  The 8 5 7 8 7 5 one.  This is a super important lick.  It is the basis for most of his solos as well as shred solos in general. 

ALSO there's this dude called Pebber Brown.  He has hundreds of very very helpful videos that I learned from as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/pebberbrown  Did I mention he was Bucketheads old teacher? 

I can find more that I used to practice if you like.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:53:00 pm by Zenith »
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
Fine with picking now, Strings?! XD
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »
Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but The help desk doesn't get many topics..

Anyway, I've got tuning up and down sorted, easy picking speed now. Can read tabs just fine, but the problem is, my strings are waaaay too loose when tuning down to even Drop C, I'm playing in Drop B now and it's not that bad; but it could be better >.>

My guitar's a Fender Elevation, only a cheap one and I have no clue on what gauge strings I'm already playing on, I guess if there is a basic one it'd be that.
I actually didn't realise there were different types of strings until now..

So any suggestions? :3
Hugs given = 0

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Not a chicken
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:09:30 pm »
Well to help with the looseness of the string, it would be best to get your truss rod adjusted to compensate for the amount of tension you lose when tuning really low.  If it gets really bad, the neck will most likely bow forwards which you really don't want happening.  And with string gauges for low tuning, I would suggest a light top heavy bottom set.  These strings are made for low tunings.  If you want a normal set with the low E going to a 52, the top strings would be much too thick for a person just learning how to play.  Basically, the heavier the string gauge, the more tone you get.  As a trade off, the strings will be much harder to play like when you bend for example.  When you get a top light heavy bottom set such as this, you get the tone you need for the bottom strings with the playability of the top strings.  If not you can settle for a normal 10 set which is considered light gauge by most string manufacturers.  Note that in light sets, the low E is usually a 46, which is a lot lighter than a 56 you would get in a light top heavy bottom string set. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:14:20 pm by Zenith »
  • Site Donor
Eventually

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:37:39 pm »
If it gets really bad, the neck will most likely bow forwards

I'm a bit confused, do you mean the strings being too loose, or too tight..?
Hugs given = 0

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Not a chicken
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:09:43 pm »
If it gets really bad, the neck will most likely bow forwards

I'm a bit confused, do you mean the strings being too loose, or too tight..?

Sorry about that.  I wasn't thinking that well X>  I meant the neck will bow backwards not forwards.  If you tune in drop tuning, less tension is placed on the neck.  The truss rod is made to balance out the tension the strings make.  As a result, if you loosen the strings too much, the neck will have a tendency to bow backwards because there is less tension pulling it forwards.  The opposite happens when the strings are too tight. 
  • Site Donor
Eventually

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:39 pm »
Hi again... Sorry! CX I didn't realise guitar was actually this technical..

Does anybody here know of any ways of making sure that your machine heads don't move too much?
I've been having so much trouble trying to tighten them again and again.. :/
In the middle of a song, they'll just drop from Drop C All the way down the Drop A which isn't what I want really >.>

Also, thanks for the tips Zenith, you're probably the only person that actually knows that much about guitars. Everybody else I know are either Acoustic only players, or Standard E Christian song playing thing-me-bobs..

CX
Hugs given = 0

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Not a chicken
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:38:27 pm »

Does anybody here know of any ways of making sure that your machine heads don't move too much?
In the middle of a song, they'll just drop from Drop C All the way down the Drop A which isn't what I want really >.>

Also, thanks for the tips Zenith, you're probably the only person that actually knows that much about guitars. Everybody else I know are either Acoustic only players, or Standard E Christian song playing thing-me-bobs..

CX

It's fine X> And thanks!

And also tuning heads are kinda tricky unfortunately.  If you can find anything that looks like a screw head, it would be your best bet to try and tighten that .  If that's already tightened or you can't find anything that looks like a screw head, then unfortunately, it's probably just bad cheap tuners.  If that's the case, it might just be best to replace them, or live with it.  Or actually, you can buy a slightly better guitar.  If you're looking for replacement tuners however, your best bet is to look for Sperzel, Gotoh, or Schaller tuners.  All 3 make high quality tuners that will probably never go out. 
  • Site Donor
Eventually

Offline Orpheus

• Physically im 18. Mentally, thats another question...
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 44
  • Tacky, yet delightfully refined.
    • FurAffinity - orpheusfox
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:56:47 pm »

CX

It's fine X> And thanks!

And also tuning heads are kinda tricky unfortunately.  If you can find anything that looks like a screw head, it would be your best bet to try and tighten that .  If that's already tightened or you can't find anything that looks like a screw head, then unfortunately, it's probably just bad cheap tuners.  If that's the case, it might just be best to replace them, or live with it.  Or actually, you can buy a slightly better guitar.  If you're looking for replacement tuners however, your best bet is to look for Sperzel, Gotoh, or Schaller tuners.  All 3 make high quality tuners that will probably never go out.

+1 for schaller. And also "music man" makes good tuners. they are what come on high end stratocasters.
    Honor, Courage, Commitment.  

Offline nolongerneeded

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:59 am »
As someone trying to improve on speed picking, I've noticed a few things that help. First off, you want a decently firm pick, I use a 1.5mm, but you can probably do it just as well with some slightly thinner ones, but light or medium picks tend to bend instead of plucking the string properly. Secondly, this one is kind of hard to explain, try to keep the pick just touching the string, and not going too close to the guitar if that makes sense, if you have say, half of the pick underneath the string and not just the tip touching it, the pick will just push against the string and not play a note. Third, and probably the most important, practice! And try experimenting with new methods to see what you prefer.

Hope this helped you out a little.

Offline Fenix the Wolf

• Yellow Level
  • Some.. guy
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:08 pm »
XD Thanks! I have done those things and it's a whole ton easier cx

Also, I now have 12 gauge strings on my guitar, but I've only just recently wanted to tune back up to standard. It's at Drop C atm so it's not that far off; I was just wondering how High it could actually go without risking the strings snapping.. :/
Hugs given = 0

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Not a chicken
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 03:09:28 pm »
XD Thanks! I have done those things and it's a whole ton easier cx

Also, I now have 12 gauge strings on my guitar, but I've only just recently wanted to tune back up to standard. It's at Drop C atm so it's not that far off; I was just wondering how High it could actually go without risking the strings snapping.. :/

The strings won't snap if you bring it to standard tuning X>  It was made to be played at standard turning in the first place anyway X> 
  • Site Donor
Eventually