Author Topic: Science Essay  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 10
    • Twitter - blinkpony
  • Fursona Species: Snowfox
Science Essay
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:12 pm »
I've got to do an essay for my science class (specifically physics but the essay can be related to any science).
The options are:

1. ‘Science is always wrong. It never solves a problem without creating ten more.’ (George Bernard Shaw). Discuss.
2. ‘Progress in science is impeded by great ideas that become accepted wisdom.’ Discuss.
3. The discovery of the Higgs boson "is really the most incredible thing that has happened in my lifetime" (Peter Higgs, 4th July 2012). What is the Higgs boson, and why is it significant?

What do you guys think ? I'm leaning more towards the first option and saying "Yes although it creates problems, it's what makes science the exciting progressive subject it is ? "
...Snow    

Feel free to message me :)

"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
Re: Science Essay
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »
Yep, I'd definetly do the first one c: I feel its the truest, and its really a great way to describe Science as a whole.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:48 pm »
Well keep in mind while writing an essay, it's generally a bad idea to consider both sides of what's going on. Essays are designed to argue a certain point. So saying that it creates problems, but it makes it exciting is okay, as long as you argue why it's exciting. What you don't want to do is talk about how it creates problems, and then how it's awesome. I personally would have trouble with talking about how it's exciting though.

However off the top of my head I can think of a few things arguing why it creates problems. Don't quote me in your paper if you decide to use it, but I'm just throwing out ideas (AKA my wording is probably crap XD)

1. Science is behind all technology, and technology has led to some serious environmental issues such as global warming
2. (Realated to my last point) With technology, it's becoming easier and easier to bully and harass people through social networking sites
^ You may be able to fit that into one point potentially. But you may be able to do two, I'm not really sure.
3. Science is mainly theory (atomic theory, etc.). And with more and more theory, we literally create more problems; problems being questions. Why does this happen then? How comes this theory is true? Etc.

Anyways, just brief points. Those are ideas I thought up fairly quickly, so I'm not so sure how good they are. What grade are you in? Also whatever you decide to do, it NEVER hurts to check with your teacher just to make sure you're on the right track =).

Hopefully I helped at least a little bit... :/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:44:53 pm by Subzero »

Offline dracodex

• Hyper imploding ball of fluff
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • DeviantArt - ravenhaker
    • Twitter - @DexterDacian
  • Fursona Species: Draco
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:34 pm »
I love physics so my vote is for the higgs boson. The other two seem like you would find a lot of people posting garbage like religious nuts. The second topic would be my next choice.
Oooh I can put text in here :o *カタカタカタカタ*
Pixel art by Crevontz

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 150
  • ... For cookies >~<
    • DeviantArt - aspinonthings
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:46:58 pm »
Yep, I'd definetly do the first one c: I feel its the truest, and its really a great way to describe Science as a whole.

I respectfully disagree.

I think that doing an essay on the Higgs Boson would be great. The reason why it is so important is that it might open an entire new chunk of the standard model. And that's very exciting for the younger generation of scientists because we might be part of discovering the "new chunk".
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Never stop fighting anything, even if you are outnumbered.
-Banner by Xantera-

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
    • Twitter - blinkpony
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »
Thanks Panda and Sub,
Decided to go with the first one, going to argue my point that its the exciting problems in science ( such as the wave-particle duality), that make it such an interesting thing to study.
I'm an As-level pupil so 17 XD not really sure what that equates to in grades ?

The problem with the higgs-boson one was the fact that I can't go into other topics and seems fairly rigid. Plus as a new discovery I think that they'll get a lot of essays on it, so I want to do something different.

Got my first paragraph, the ideas seem fairly flowing tonight.

(plus I could always add a bit about the higgs boson and say how that has created a problem ( of opening up an extra branch of the standard model to be studied) )

[Mod Edit: Removed the assignment at Snowfox's own request.]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:15:30 pm by Gage »
...Snow    

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
Never refer to yourself in first person in an essay ;). Haha you have to avoid using words like "I" or "my". Well actually it depends on your teacher but for most formal papers you will lose marks if you use those words :/. Just a word of advice :)

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
    • Twitter - blinkpony
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:14 pm »
Not really sure how I'd do the same thing without referring to myself ?

I'm not great at writing in the third person
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 05:00:31 pm by Snowfox »
...Snow    

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 586
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »

Idk about the very first sentence; its true that you should never use personal pronouns in a formal essay, but most of my teachers have been okay with them in the context of an introductory sentence like yours. So you might be okay with that? I would def. try to get rid of the "I believe", though; that's usually a huge no in essays
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:18:48 pm by Gage »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »
I think you've made the right decision by choosing the first option. It's good one to pick, because it has the potential to stir up an interesting essay. While science does often leave us with more questions, you can choose whether this would constitute a flaw or as George Bernard Shaw said, making it “always wrong”. Write your opinion about George Bernard Shaw's viewpoint, and see how it weighs up against your own perception of science.

I personally agree with Lawrence Krauss.

“Scientists love mysteries. They love not knowing. That's a key part of science. The excitement of the learning about the universe.”
—Lawrence Krauss

Science isn't made demonstrably wrong just because it leaves us with new questions. Without questions, there would be no reason to practice science. It's a simple matter of fact that by merely asking a question is how almost all scientific breakthroughs are made. Not to mention establishing a hypothesis, testing through trail and error, to ultimately see if something stands as fact and theory. It's impractical to expect science to immediately answer everything for you — with no room for further discover or work to be improved upon. As I've said I don't think that makes it "always wrong".

However, I hope your essay goes well for you Snowfox, regardless of how you view Shaw's sentiment on science.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:10:36 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Snowfox

• Snow ❄
  • Orange Level
    • Twitter - blinkpony
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »
Thanks Gage! I love that quote, might have to borrow it to put to use ;) it completely supports my counter argument.
Does anyone have any examples of "problems" that have gone on to be big discoveries ?

I'm thinking of using einstens 1921 nobel prize winning photo-electric effect, the discovery of photons.
Higgs-boson possibly ?
Dark energy/matter ?
...Snow