Author Topic: Expensive Art  (Read 322 times)

Offline SorryFriends

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Dead
  • Fursona Species: Corpse
Expensive Art
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:32:13 pm »
One of my friends is a really good artist and she's really sweet and don't get me wrong; I love her to death, but I feel like she's overcharging her art a bit
I paid $20 for an icon of my fursona
Granted I've never gotten art of my fursona before so I honestly don't know what rates seem fair
I asked about her ref sheets and she told me $70-$80 but personally I think I might go to someone else...
She's so sweet but her art is not worth that much money..
I feel so judgmental though :<
Am I wrong for thinking this?
Swaying gently in the wind

Offline Codename fox

• The grey and green folf of Dayz exile
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 30
  • attempts to help others
    • FurAffinity - Codename Fox
  • Fursona Species: green and grey Arctic folf
Re: Expensive Art
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:15 pm »
It's not wrong to think that. Heck I still think most art is a tad bit over priced, especially certain artists sketches
  • Pronouns: Male: he/him/his
Enjoy life's great fun moments at their best. Or you'll only see moments as their worst.

-Codename fox, Arcturus

profile pic by MasterDaye !

Offline Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 826
  • *sips starbucks*
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 03:40:01 pm »
I personally don't believe any art is overpriced. What an artist chooses to charge for their art is up to them, it's just up to you if you want to pay that price for that piece of art. Artists shouldn't be working for minimum wage (since their work is unique, only they can create that piece. Anyone can flip burgers which is why things like fast food jobs are minimum wage). Plus you have to consider all the time they spent practicing and developing their style. Even icons can take a lot of skill and time to make. I've bought quite a few icons for $20 and personally feel that's a fair price

*edit: also that ref sheet price is pretty decent too. Especially if you're getting more than one view. I paid $100 USD for my ref sheet of Solstice and $80 USD for the one I got of Skyline (most of my other characters are adopts that came with refs or I bought YCH refs or feral refs that tend to be cheaper than custom anthro ones)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:07:35 pm by MysticSolstice »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Feve | Signature by Yuunis

Offline Red Velvet

• Cake Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 272
  • It's peppermint season!
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - redvelvetdrago
    • Personal Tumblr
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 03:46:32 pm »
I have to agree with Mystic. I mean, I'm an artist myself so I might be biased, but a lot of these "affordable" prices on art are not enough to make a living; whether it's a hobby or a career. If someone spends 3 hours working on even the smallest thing, they should get AT LEAST $30, if not more. That's slightly above minimum wage.

When you buy art, you're not only paying for the piece, but you're paying for the style of it too.

I do think, however, that the individual artist should judge their prices based on their skill. If they are confident people will buy and that they have desirable art, then they can set whatever price they feel appropriate. Generally, some artists who are less talented or want to improve will have lower prices, so that more people will be willing to spend money on it, and so they can get more practice drawing.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Trello | Portfolio | FurAffinity | Buy Me a Coffee? | ToyHouse | Dragons | Flight Rising
♥ Hopelessly in love with Proto
:aesthetic:
If you'd like to commission me, please click my Trello!

Offline Serana

• Local Vampire Queen
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 247
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Cougar
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »
I agree with Solstice and Red Velvet as a freelance artist myself, I'm currently charging dirt cheap I plan on raising my prices soon(like after Halloween) by about $5-$10 cause I feel like I'm charging too little for my skill now.
You also gotta remember that some people do this to pay their bills and stuff and being a freelance artist isn't as easy as it sounds and if you charge dirt cheap like I do or worse you will end up doing way more for less and possibly get burnt out among other things.

Its up to you whether you think the art is worth it or not just remember why some people have the prices the way they are and generally the more business they get the higher the prices as well.
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

AKA Nagi, feel free to call me whatever.
Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.

|FurAffinity / ToyHou.se / Tumblr / ThisCrush|

Offline Ti'Nari

• Talking to angels and counting the stars
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Making a wish on a passing car
  • Fursona Species: yes.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 04:03:38 pm »
When you buy their art you buy their time as well. A ref sheet is always going to be expensive because it's had drawing the same figure over and over again.

Also just what the others have said as well. I would suggest finding an artist that sells at a lower price.
  • Pronouns: they/theirs/them

Offline SorryFriends

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Dead
  • Fursona Species: Corpse
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 04:13:45 pm »
I guess you're right... I guess I just don't think much of my art and feel like it isn't worth anything but yeah it is her time I'm taking..
Swaying gently in the wind