Author Topic: first thoughts on discovering furrys  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Mega

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
    • Twitter - megaghostspy
  • Fursona Species: husky
first thoughts on discovering furrys
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »
what i was wondering was how people found and what you thought when you first discovered furrys

Offline ArtiLove

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Oh lo lo do I love you.
    • Twitter - SuperArtiLove
  • Fursona Species: Arctic River Otter
Re: first thoughts on discovering furrys
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:37:24 pm »
Oh my goodness.  Well, it was my brother's fiance, we were best friends in high school she and I, was on a website at the library.  It was a site called meebo, and there was chatroom just for furries on it.  She invited me to come and chat along, and I was so excited to like see what she was doing.  They chose their own animal to be for the chat room and I thought it was quite neat.  I met a lot of life long friends on that website and it saddens me to say that Google has taken it over and shut down the chat rooms. :(
Remember that smile, the one you wore with such beauty and grace?  Where has it gone?  What has happened to put you in this miserable, lonely place?  Smile for me, even it may be the last time I see.  A picture I will take not for myself, no. A picture for the entire world to embrace the happiness you once shared with me.  Just smile...

Offline Vincent

• This deer has an insatiable appetite...
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 150
  • ... For cookies
    • FurAffinity - Vincent-the-deer
  • Fursona Species: Deer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »
"What. The. F****... oh wait... this is awesome!"
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Never stop fighting what isn't right, even if you are outnumbered.

Offline kuri

• nope!
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • bleh
  • Fursona Species: grey wolf
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »
well a few years ago my friends were talking about "furry parties" telling me about...... well never mind about that but i thought it was really weird. but a few years later i was introduced the fandom by random searches for cool artwork and i came upon some anthro art and it intrigued me, so i looked up what it was and instantly fell in love with the fandom and the rest is history when i found this site  :fox-:P:
pixely thing by - crevontz

Offline Minimoose1441

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • *Insert snappy comeback here*
    • DeviantArt - minimoose1441
    • FurAffinity - Minimoose1441
    • SoFurry Account
  • Fursona Species: Red Wolf
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
I was going to take the time and write out all the different things that got me involved with furries, but that would be a huge wall of text (I've got a unfinished biography of sorts over 5,000 words about it). I've always been a huge fan of anthropomorphic characters but I guess you could say I was first introduced to furries by the 1000 Ways To Die TV show segment of them (Which is far too offensive for me to link). I didn't take much away from the TV show as it was quite obvious they were just actors and it made me interested on why everyone hated them. A lot of things happened after finding some cool furry webcomics but I eventually made a friend online who was a furry. I would see the posts they made about it and eventually joined a furry artwork website to find out more. In a overview, I guess you could say my thoughts we're positive in general but the first introduction I got to furries, under the name of furries, was a horrible one.
  • Site Donor

The best website ever.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:13:42 pm »
I think I first learned of the fandom through the Guinness book of world reccords 2008 edition, in which it proclaims that Anthrocon is 'largest furry fan club'. At first I thought it was rather odd how these people would dress up as animals, but I didn't think much of it. It wasn't until in the summer of 2010 when the furry fandom would resurface to my field of attention. It did so through a thread posted in Bungie.net's The Flood forum, an off-topic part of the community. Whenever threads were posted about furries, they would instantly generate hot-topics and flamewars, with people often stating that all furries zoophiles and creeps. Yeah, The Flood isn't exactly known for either social grace or maturity.

I was naturally dubious towards such claims, and took it upon myself to research the fandom. Of course the first thing I discovered was that The Flood's claimed were either outright false or merely generalizations. But what I saw after that intrigued me. I enjoyed the artwork and liked the look of some of the activities associated with the fandom, and so I quickly found myself looking up various furry communities and started creating a fursona. I officially joined the fandom after joining my first furry online community: Furry Teens. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:56:28 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline rvb123

• PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals.
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • I enjoy lucid dreaming, Doctor Who, and Cake.
  • Fursona Species: Pudu
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »
My first thought was 'aww', my second though was, wtf is a furry, after a quick google search I thought 'this is the third most amazing thing behind debating and peanutbutter pie!'

I found the fandom while screwing around on one of those silly quiz websites. One of the quizzes I took was an 'are you a babyfur' quiz. Babyfur being a word I had never heard I took the quiz out of curiosity and was greeted with loads of adorable. After a quick google search of what babyfur meant, I discovered it was a subset of a larger thing called the furry fandom. I've been weirder than before ever since.
I'm that centrist, pagan, pansexual, babyfur, psychology nerd that your extremist conservative grandparents, that you may or may not have, warned you about. Now fear my adjective filled personage!

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:58 am »
My exact first reaction..."wuuuuuuuuuuuuh?" afterwords I was like "this is cool."
#Ifeelpretty

Offline Cam

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Snowleopard
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:20:39 am »
I saw them for the first time back in 2009, as my cousin is a furry and thought nothing of it, other than "That's pretty cool"

Then last year on Australia day I was at a LAN party, with my cousin there. I saw him browsing a website with furry art on it (furaffinity). Decided to have a look at it and straight away i thought "This is amazing!!" Then continued to spend the next few days looking for furries in my city.

Needless to say I found a whole website which organized meets and such.
Add me on telegram @Animosus

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but travel interstate frequently

Offline Dingo

• #Hashtags
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 52
  • Ruff! <3
    • FurAffinity - okamiix
    • Twitter - @DingoFTW
    • my furrafinity page
  • Fursona Species: wusky :) wolf/husky
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:40:56 am »
:O
:D

pretty much sums it up ^^

Offline shdowhunt60

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:41:54 am »
My first response? Apathy. :P

Offline Gaz

• The Mobile
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 288
  • FT's Unofficial Disc Jockey
    • Twitter - @GlitterLiquor
    • Song I listen to far too much
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 07:43:54 am »
What did I think when I stumbled upon the fandom?

Well I was never introduced to it by someone else, I actually was introduced to it because of a movie, Alpha and Omega, yeah it's a childish movie but it was a cute story. Anyways, I googled the movie and started to read some of the fan fiction, on one of the sites I found there was a comment on a story about "The Furry Fandom" and like any teenager, I was of course curious, so I googled it and started to read, I was introduced to "the darker side of the fandom" at first but I thought to myself that there has too be more to it. So needless to say after a few days of studying the fandom I soon found myself creating my fursona "Humphrey" and from there on I was hooked, creating multiple fursonas with their own unique and vivid personality's.

(Sorry I was just kinda reminiscing) but after I had Humphrey created I was amazed by the fandom,the art, the music, the people! Everything was unique in itself.at first I had my doubts but I was wrong entirely.

I'm glad I found this place as well ^w^
You guys rock!
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
Feel free to contact me with questions, concerns,
or if you just want to talk.

Offline XxDawnshadowxX

• Harvester of Figs
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 18
  • Die Welt braucht mehr OOMPH! (*´∀`*)
    • DeviantArt - XxDawnshadowxX
    • FurAffinity - XxDawnshadowxX
    • LiveJournal - XxDawnshadowxX
    • Twitter - xxdawnshadowxx
  • Fursona Species: Siamese cat
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 11:31:37 pm »
Well, I've been a furry (without knowing) since I was in like 3rd grade because of Starfox. The term has always seemed familiar to me after messing about on the Internet starting in 5th grade, I saw that the characters and the people who liked them were called "furries", I didn't think much beyond "Oh, that's what those human-like animals are called."
Not too interesting of a story. xD

Offline Doji Ditzi Mika

• 95% cat, 5% panther, 100%....something
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Flying fish? Things just got real!
    • FurAffinity - DojiDitziMika
  • Fursona Species: Black Housecat (alt. Tiger)
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 01:14:25 am »
Hmmm... Well, I've always liked anthros, but I remember first discovering the fandom several years ago. I'm not exactly sure how long ago it was, I think it was about four years ago. I had stumbled upon info about the good parts and the bad stereotypical parts of the fandom, and I didn't know which to believe. But I was busy finding out about anime and manga at the time and thus swept the fandom aside and forgot about it. Then several months ago I came across info on the fandom again, but this time decided to do a bit more research. Afterwards I was intrigued by all of the artistic stuff in the fandom and thought "this is pretty awesome!" and decided to join the fandom.
Crazyville kicked me out for being too eccentric...
                                                                          Where's the sushi!
                                                                                                           Sparkly Glitter Sunshine Dance Time!

Offline Shizuko

• ざわ…ざわ…
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: Alopex Lagopus
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 03:42:37 pm »
I remember when I was in late elementary school, I was playing my cousin's copy of the game Oblivion and I picked the Khajiit character to play as. Him and his friend then proceeded to say "___'s a furry!" and laugh about it. I didn't know what the word meant until a few years later when I created feral animal characters.
Lo and behold, more years later I actually am one. :fox-:P:

Offline SilverSnow

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
    • FurAffinity - NightSnow
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:52 pm »
I was, like many, introduced to this fandom through a friend. I mean, of course I've seen it before but I never actually knew what it really was or meant to be a furry. Everything I know or do as a furry today I've learned from him and I couldn't thank him more :D At first, though, I didn't actually understand what the attraction was. Now? I couldn't live without it! It's so much fun and I've made so many new friends
Skype me sometime :) : CryEvans13

Offline Blaidd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 101
  • Fursona Species: a piece of fecal matter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
"I want to do this."

And then I did.
  • Pronouns: They/Them He/Him

Offline Dyce

• Captain of Obnoxious
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 38
  • I like Bacon
    • FurAffinity - DyceTheCollie
  • Fursona Species: Border Collie
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
I sat there and thought, "This is the coolest thing I've ever seen!" Aaaaaand then I was obsessed

Offline DNC

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • HOOYAH NAVY!!!
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
Well the first time that I discovered the fandom, I didn't really know what it was. Then years later, I finally did some research about the fandom and found out what it was all about. I asked some friends about it and some of them said it was a bunch of fat crazy people with and animal fetish meeting and being weirdos. So I did some more research and found that was a load of stuff. So then I found the art. The good, the bad, the very bad, and the just plain inappropriate. I admired the good stuff and was like "I want to do that stuff too"  So then I started drawing and I found the idea of being a furry to be pretty cool. I came up with my fursona, Alexander, and loved him. When I went to draw my him one day, some guy that obviously did not like me and the entire furry population. "What is that? You a furfag or something?" Then he started a fight with me against him and his friend. Did I win? Of course I did! I hang out and receive training from Navy SEALs for a living. Before I left he said "I can't believe I had my a** handed to me by a furry!" Then I thought "I am a furry aren't I?" So I've lived up the name since then.

Sorry if I have over told my story. :fox-;):
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:40:06 pm by Panda »
"I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, skinny, fat, rich, or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that."
                                    -Eminem

Offline ArieLove

• A dream was never a dream if made into reality..
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 10
  • Live and die by the sword.
  • Fursona Species: Checkered Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »
Oh my gosh there are others!  -taken aback face of taken abackness-  That's a mouthful.
If I were to pluck on your heartstrings, would you strum on mine?