Author Topic: Best way to remember things  (Read 919 times)

Offline Larsen

• You could be next
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • I Want Crazy
    • DeviantArt - AnimalLarsen
    • Twitter - @musleh_yusef
  • Fursona Species: dog/wolf
Best way to remember things
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:13:35 am »
I'm taking Biology II and we have to remember a butt ton of body organs, tissues, bones, etc. what's the best way to remember all these things? It's driving me nuts, I try flash cards but they don't really help me that often.
#Ifeelpretty

Offline Shizuko

• ざわ…ざわ…
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • Fursona Species: Alopex Lagopus
Re: Best way to remember things
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:12:24 am »
It may not work for you, but ever since elementary I've been writing down things multiple times until I remember it well. Other things that may help might be acronyms/pegwords to remember or associating images or things you know well with the terms.

Offline Subzero

• JB17
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 71
    • FurAffinity - szsubzero01
    • Twitter - SubzeroCheetah
  • Fursona Species: Cheetah
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:15:30 am »
Yeah this is a huge pain, but I write out definitions for EVERYTHING. That way your brain gets familiar with the information, and you're more likely to remember it. Your brain remembers stuff from repetition, and so writing it out is a form of that. Then you can review by looking at the term and trying to recall what it meant, then look at your definition. That's how I studied for my History exam last year.

Also, this is going to sound REALLY weird, but it works for me. Take a term, and make a sexual joke out of it. Sexual jokes are a popular form of humour and that makes it more entertaining and therefore you're more likely to remember it. For example: In history, Joseph Stalin was a huge dick, but Stalin is kind of like the word Stallion, which is like a horse. And horse have huge... well you get the picture LOL. I know, it's messed up BUT IT WORKS. I did that for my english terms this year and it saved me a few points. I'm not trying to be funny or gross, but I use that tactic sometimes lol.

Offline Will

• British Mouse
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 43
  • meh, none of you gave a shit
  • Fursona Species: Mouse
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:40 am »
Also, this is going to sound REALLY weird, but it works for me. Take a term, and make a sexual joke out of it. Sexual jokes are a popular form of humour and that makes it more entertaining and therefore you're more likely to remember it. For example: In history, Joseph Stalin was a huge dick, but Stalin is kind of like the word Stallion, which is like a horse. And horse have huge... well you get the picture LOL. I know, it's messed up BUT IT WORKS. I did that for my english terms this year and it saved me a few points. I'm not trying to be funny or gross, but I use that tactic sometimes lol.

THIS PARAGRAPH HAS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE You have just reminded me of a saying which I use for maths :D. SOH CAH TOA (In case nobody has heard or uses this, it's used in trigonometry to find the length of a certain side of a triangle). Now I'm not sure if I can go ahead and say how I use it so I'm going to out on a limb, I was taught to use it as Sex-On-Holiday Can-Always-Hurt-The-Owners-Ass.

Now back to topic, usually definitions work but what I find is best is to post sick-it notes around my house where I will usually put them where I usually go around my house it works like a charm. If you can not be bothered then if you have friends who have the same exam as you then a really good way which you can remember stuff is by throwing pieces of crunched up paper at each other! You write something you should know in the exam and screw that paper up while everyone does the same, then proceed to throw at each other for a given amount of time and after that amount of time has passed stop throwing and open up and read the nearest screwed up piece of paper, I find this really effective and has a way to remember what you have read.

"To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may mean the world."-Brandi Snyder

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:51 pm »
Take a good 30-60 minutes straight up memorizing with no distractions at all. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Till you want to kill yourself.

Then make some fun song about it, even if it doesn't rhyme or make any sense at all. If you can relate your memory to something fun, then it works.

And flash cards DO help. Or possibly make yourself a word bank and then use the flashcards, and then slowly work on taking the word bank away.

Offline Zz

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 12:36:16 am »
I find that reading/writing notes over and over again is not that effective in a small period of time. Once I walk away, I seem to forget everything.

You should expand your time on revision, take breaks from revising the words, and then revise again at a later time. In this way, it means that you are recalling/reviewing the information you have studied, and absorbing the information fully to your understanding.

Offline Jaze

• Furry forever.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • The car is just an extension of the pilot.
    • FurAffinity - Nightfury84
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:32:56 pm »
Everyone doesn't need flash cards. Some persons remember easier whole paragraphs rather than  synthetic texts. And if you learn perfectly a lesson, you are sure at least to do not forget anything.
Lupus sano in corpore sano.
Xbox live: Jaze Wolfcraig
I really love talking! Add me if you want.

Offline Ganther

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 17
  • Rawr?
    • DeviantArt - FuzzBallGanther
    • FurAffinity - Ganther
    • Twitter - fuzzballganther
  • Fursona Species: Snow Leopard
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:40:38 pm »
In year 10 of highschool I did a PASS class which was more focused on anatomy and body function. We had to remember major bones and muscles.

The EASIEST way for me to study was to get a big picture of a person (One of skeletal structure, one of muscles and one of the organs) printed out and sticky tape all the pieces together from the back so I could write on the front (or even get a some cardboard and draw everything). Then I highlighted and wrote the names next to all the different things I need to remember. EG. the Deltoid was highlited orange and had 'Deltoid' written next to it. Once you've done that for everything stick it up on a wall and just say the different parts while touching them and remembering whatever information. So if I had to remember the heart I would touch my chest where my heart is, say "heart" and then say "The heart is made up of cardiac muscle and forms a part of the cardiovascular system... etc."

It took 10 minutes to run through all three of my diagrams and remember stuff. If I didn't remember everything I'd just use notes/internet/class notes to find whatever I was missing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:42:33 pm by Ganther »